• Tapatalk and Mobile iOS/ Android APPs no longer supported on aussiefrogs.com. Please delete on your device. Use the web interface instead.

No dash lights on Citroën D Special.

ihamil

New member
My Citroën D Special is nearing completion & there are still a few ‘wrinkles’ to iron out. Main one is the total lack of dash lighting. Fuses are all fine. Looking at the little manual I downloaded from CCCV, it mentions a rheostat located under the binnacle locating the lighting, wipers, & turn indicators. The rheostat on my car doesn’t seem to do anything of note: I have tried pressing/turning what appears to perhaps be a knob. I don’t mind looking like an idiot if anyone has some ideas.
 

COL

Alpine A110
I'm no Citroen expert but I would remove the rheostat and short the two wires together, this should illuminate the dash lights to full brightness. If this is the case I reckon the rheostat is faulty.

You could also measure the voltage that you have at the terminals of the rheostat to make sure that power is arriving there.

Just my :2cents: worth, and good luck with it.
 

faulksy

Active member
This may sound silly but have your checked the bulbs are ok?

Bypassing the rheostat is always a good place to start. You’ll need to remove the top pice of the steering pod by undoing the screw either side of the hole for the steering column.

One last question, do the dashboard lights for turn signals, low beam and high beam work?
 
  • Like
Reactions: COL

ihamil

New member
Doesn’t sound silly to me – indeed I have not checked the bulbs. Turn signal lights flash quite happily. High beam indicator lamp lights up, although it is not particularly noticeable. Low beam doesn’t appear to show. Haven’t had an opportunity to bypass the rheostat as yet. How does the rheostat operate? Do you twist or press or what? I don’t have a handbook so am pretty much flying blind.
 

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
I'm no Citroen expert but I would remove the rheostat and short the two wires together, this should illuminate the dash lights to full brightness. If this is the case I reckon the rheostat is faulty.

You could also measure the voltage that you have at the terminals of the rheostat to make sure that power is arriving there.

Just my :2cents: worth, and good luck with it.
Yep, I'd just rotate it around a few dozen times and see if the dash lights start flickering/working as you move the rheostat :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: COL

faulksy

Active member
By the sound of it, the instrument cluster is ok. If the clock lights up when you turn on the headlamps then the problem is somewhere between the headlight switch and the instrument cluster.
 

ihamil

New member
Apologies for taking so long to reply! A son had the temerity to get married, so Amélie got shoved to the back of the queue momentarily. After four lovely days at Macedon have been able resume festivities with the car. Would like to point out, that ALL of the above solutions were required. Power was arriving at the rheostat, but getting no further. I removed the rheostat & it (at first) seemed totally immovable. It was also growing a pretty good crop of what I would call verdigris. Out with my pretend Dremel, bits of wet and dry, & some mini file/scrapers. Some time later, the mechanism freed up, & my venerable multi-meter indicated that power would now get through! Reassemble & turn headlights on – voila! Dash lit up. Well, half of dash lit up. Unscrew dash binnacle & replace one blown globe. We now have light! Many thanks to all contributors – I am awed at the wealth of expertise available. I still need to wire the clock that I purchased some years ago, & have paid more recently, to have repaired, & there is also the small matter of a missing door switch for the interior lights (cable for this has disappeared down the hole into the bodywork of the car), so lots of fun still to go through. Once again, a heartfelt thanks.
 

COL

Alpine A110
Apologies for taking so long to reply! A son had the temerity to get married, so Amélie got shoved to the back of the queue momentarily. After four lovely days at Macedon have been able resume festivities with the car. Would like to point out, that ALL of the above solutions were required. Power was arriving at the rheostat, but getting no further. I removed the rheostat & it (at first) seemed totally immovable. It was also growing a pretty good crop of what I would call verdigris. Out with my pretend Dremel, bits of wet and dry, & some mini file/scrapers. Some time later, the mechanism freed up, & my venerable multi-meter indicated that power would now get through! Reassemble & turn headlights on – voila! Dash lit up. Well, half of dash lit up. Unscrew dash binnacle & replace one blown globe. We now have light! Many thanks to all contributors – I am awed at the wealth of expertise available. I still need to wire the clock that I purchased some years ago, & have paid more recently, to have repaired, & there is also the small matter of a missing door switch for the interior lights (cable for this has disappeared down the hole into the bodywork of the car), so lots of fun still to go through. Once again, a heartfelt thanks.
Well done, great outcome (y)
 
Top