New Peugeot Hypercar in WEC (World Endurance Championship).

Fordman

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Peugeot has debuted its new Hypercar at the WEC Monza 6 hour last Sunday.
This is the latest of the new Hypercar class to enter WEC in addition to the Toyota and Glickenhaus as mentioned in the Le Mans thread a few weeks ago.
I am not clued up on the technical details as yet, but there are a couple of interesting links below.
I came across this when checking the latest WEC event on Stan Sports but haven't had time to watch it yet.

UK article (including pics):

Highlights Monza 10/7/2022:

Peugeot Hypercar Lap at Monza 10/7/2022:

I am really getting good value from my Stan Sport subscription. My interests lie in the local TCR events, Indycars and WEC Sports cars. There are other categories on Stan Sports including WRC and I think the E-series. Plus Super Rugby and Tennis etc, and many others. With F1 and Supecars on Kayo as well, it's almost more than I can handle. :) :)

You've got to love a car that does 130km/h in second gear.

Come to think of it, what are those gears in an electric car?
Does this answer the question?
"The car will have a hybrid twin-turbo, 2.6-litre V6 power unit – a 671bhp petrol engine will turn the rear wheels, with a 268bhp electric motor powering the front."

So I guess the gears are only applicable to the V6 engine.

The category races under a Balance of Performance (BOP) rule, which tries to level out any advantage/disadvantage of the different design philosophies used. They can apparently use 2WD or 4WD, V6 or V8 or maybe even V10, Turbo or N/A, and hybrid drives if they choose.
For example, due to the BOP, the Toyotas running at LeMans (with similar mechanicals to the Peugeot) were locked out from using the electric Front drive until over 190 km/hr, to prevent the unfair advantage of 4WD coming out of corners.
I don't know if the BOP was amended for Monza, but the lower powered Alpine was able to beat the Toyotas this time.