New member Pug 206cc

VRaptor

VIP Paid Subscriber
Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi! Just picked up a Pug 206cc, 2.0l 5 speed. 2004 flavour.
Gradually getting her ready for RWC.
However, the horn doesn't work!
The horn itself is functional. I've tested it off the car. When I press the horn button, I can hear a relay click under the hood.
The fuse is good.
But, I can't find the relay! Is it actually hard wired under the fuse panel?
I wanted to test the relay itself to check that it is functioning.
Or, tap into the wiring direct from the fuse panel to check the horn function there.
Save actually removing the grill from the car and tracing the wiring, I'm not sure where to head next.
I'm hoping someone has already experienced and troubleshoot this problem before.
Cheers and thanks!

Welcome to AF.

Engine compartment fuse and relay box. Near battery.

cablage.png

Thanks Seasink. That looks great. Do you have a legend identifying this numbers and locations? Thanks!

The full list of codes runs on for many pages. I have copied the "avertisseur" section which is your interest. Most Peugeots keep relays tidily in the fuse box. Unfortunately I don't have an internal diagram of yours. In the above diagram 2520 is the horn. 2V is two connectors (voies), BA is white (blanc).

Relay failure occurs, and if you use the Duckduckgo search on the home page you might find a fix or a workaround.

All Peugeot wiring diagrams "cablage" use the same codes and symbols. Explanations are attached. Remember that the language is French where abbreviations are concerned. All wires are marked at their terminals..

You have a 2.0L 5 speed. I am assuming the the engine is the EW10J4, with a 5 speed BE box. If you should have engine problems it will help here if you quote the unique engine code at letters 6-7-8 of the VIN. This avoids misunderstandings with the large range of similar capacity engines and makes help from someone with the same engine in a different car possible.

I hope you don't mind the French. I don't have English versions.

ew10j4.png

cablage2.png
cablage3.png
cablage4.png

Last edited:
Thanks again. Looks like my engine code is RFN? I haven't actually located the engine number yet. The only issue I have encountered this far, is a code for the MAF sensor. But the throttle value seems a little high, so the throttle body may need cleaning. I only just got a new exhaust on her today, so will probably look at this further later on.

Please include code values in any request. These cars also set many manufacturer specific codes, the ones that do not have a 0 as the left most digit. If you are using a standard code reader you won't get a true explanation, but many members know the meaning.

RFN is the VIN code for the EW10J4 2.0 petrol engine. There is some useful info, similar RFR version, copied from a manual here:

RFN data attached.

Attachments

• rfn.png
    rfn.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Use Google Lense to translate
Hard to take a pic and hold study
lense.jpg

Mobile phone app built on translate.google. For those who like tiny screens. There are other translation services as well, eg, Bing, Lingvanex.

I frequently post French material here, as I can read it.

It's worth collecting anything useful, and others, like the Russians, are great at putting stuff up (sometimes in English). For Russian I use the translator. I have found Google handles French and German technical terms well.

Good point. I'll setup a folder with the info. I only know English, but a lot I can work out. Google translator is worthwhile.

Look about and you can fall over documents like this

206cc.png

Just a quick update on my non functioning horn. After much digging and checking on the circuit, I eventually worked out the actual issue was a spade connector on the + side. A quick squeeze on my crimping tool had the connection functioning once more!