New fangled wedge globes !! AND the price of oil today ??

jaahn

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Gees I checked my daughters' Mazda 323 for rego this morning !! It had a stop light failed, as usual some little thing needs fixing. I like to know they are all good before I send them off. I pulled off the tail light plastic and found wedge globes ?? Not had much to do with those before. Double filament 21/5W but I do not carry them "in stock" so went and bought a pair. Hmm twice the price of the old style globes. To be expected I guess. I am not sure it had these type before but has replacement rear lights after an incident a while back, and possibly later model lights.

When I came to refit the globe I was uncertain as to the direction to fit it ? although it has 'bumps' moulded in the glass base it could be installed both ways. But checking the operation it seemed that it worked correctly both ways. WTF. It was raining so I did not study it in depth, but seemed to have a dual set of contacts in the housing and the bumps lifted off some contacts ?? Never seen that before.

Back in the ol'days we knew what globes did what and kept a few for spares. Now a days there are different types and bases and wattages and leds etc etc, all much dearer then a plain old globe. Are we being conned or is it an improvement. Hmm :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

While i was there I was assulted by the price of oil today. Any old 10Ltr oil is over $100, 20 ltr drums of oil now over $200 up to say $260+ GEES no wonder I only buy when they are on special. I will be more aware for the next service round to stock up.:cool:I think SC had specials for the Bathurst weekend but then put the price up today on the stock.
Jaahn

Globes - Buy a box of 10 from Ebay and keep them in stock. They never go off and will end up a fraction of the price. I have a box for bayonets and a box for wedges. Family is always calling.......

Gees I checked my daughters' Mazda 323 for rego this morning !! It had a stop light failed, as usual some little thing needs fixing. I like to know they are all good before I send them off. I pulled off the tail light plastic and found wedge globes ?? Not had much to do with those before. Double filament 21/5W but I do not carry them "in stock" so went and bought a pair. Hmm twice the price of the old style globes. To be expected I guess. I am not sure it had these type before but has replacement rear lights after an incident a while back, and possibly later model lights.

When I came to refit the globe I was uncertain as to the direction to fit it ? although it has 'bumps' moulded in the glass base it could be installed both ways. But checking the operation it seemed that it worked correctly both ways. WTF. It was raining so I did not study it in depth, but seemed to have a dual set of contacts in the housing and the bumps lifted off some contacts ?? Never seen that before.

Back in the ol'days we knew what globes did what and kept a few for spares. Now a days there are different types and bases and wattages and leds etc etc, all much dearer then a plain old globe. Are we being conned or is it an improvement. Hmm :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

While i was there I was assulted by the price of oil today. Any old 10Ltr oil is over $100, 20 ltr drums of oil now over $200 up to say $260+ GEES no wonder I only buy when they are on special. I will be more aware for the next service round to stock up.:cool:I think SC had specials for the Bathurst weekend but then put the price up today on the stock.
Jaahn
I wouldn’t have called a 20 year old car new stuff but these globes are a PITA same as those offset ones the use in 407s . Love how the kids show up just before rego.

I have two cars and have found that the pre-Xmas sales are the cheapest time to but oil and usually get my whole year's worth then. Last time, Repco were the cheapest for what I needed.

They have just changed all the names on oil and put the price up quite a lot for the identical stuff. I found repco had 5-30 low ash oil the cheapest (especially given there oil was 25% off). Have a look at the main oil they stock .... and you'll soon guess what the repco branded oil is..... I think the 5litres of low ash 5-30 oil was $45 from memory.

The front indicator globe on my sons c4 Picasso as funny pin configuration $15 each if you can find someone who stocks them (bersons) we replaced the tail light complete ,on other sons amoroc standard had same globe as c4 after market had normal globe it was as bright as if not better than the hi zoot $15 one on a $3.50 globe

Offset bayonet pins (as on my Cits) are common, and readily found. Are these meant?

Luckily most of my dungers will happily run on 20/50 oil, so while everyone else was stocking up on toilet paper I was stocking up on 5L, $9.95 Valvoline and GTX oils every time they were on sale. I've got shelves of the stuff.
Mmm, does that make me an oil baron?🤔

Offset bayonet pins (as on my Cits) are common, and readily found. Are these meant?
Yes another great march forward to non standard globes. WHY ??? :giggle: :mad: But they are available at the usual suspects. Caught me out a few time also !!
Jaahn

The offset was adopted to ensure the correct orientation of lamps in the reflectors, which increasingly are complex shapes for directional lighting. This applies particularly to double filament stop lights. It has become the standard for newer cars.

Luckily most of my dungers will happily run on 20/50 oil, so while everyone else was stocking up on toilet paper I was stocking up on 5L, $9.95 Valvoline and GTX oils every time they were on sale. I've got shelves of the stuff.
Mmm, does that make me an oil baron?🤔

You need a mixture of cars.... the old cars and machinery run on 20-50 ..... but hang on .... buying cheap like you are won't get you zinc in the oil for flat tappet cams. I've been running HPR15 penrite in them these days with the "extra zinc" (what a marketing ploy! its worked on me). THe modern diesels need the low ash oil... but definitely no zinc .... so you need to shop around for crazy thin oil they can use.

The CX turbo needs zinc oil .... but a thicker fully synthetic (well its run on synthetic from new ... and doesn't use any measurable oil @ 165,000miles and 37years of age .... the motor has never been touched). So I'm continuing to run it on the expensive brew.

You need a mixture of cars.... the old cars and machinery run on 20-50 ..... but hang on .... buying cheap like you are won't get you zinc in the oil for flat tappet cams. I've been running HPR15 penrite in them these days with the "extra zinc" (what a marketing ploy! its worked on me). THe modern diesels need the low ash oil... but definitely no zinc .... so you need to shop around for crazy thin oil they can use.

The CX turbo needs zinc oil .... but a thicker fully synthetic (well its run on synthetic from new ... and doesn't use any measurable oil @ 165,000miles and 37years of age .... the motor has never been touched). So I'm continuing to run it on the expensive brew.

57 Studebaker
65 F250
68 Reliant
71 F100
71 DS
73 Mini
75 Mini
89 Suzuki Carry
All run happily on (and are recommended) 20/50 in a tropical climate.

I also picked up several Penrite 10/40s for $9.95 as well which I'm saving for the Berlingo.🤷‍♂️

what sort of studebaker? There is a couple around here that really catch the eye. I sometimes see a "well used" and still enjoyed hawk with the 2doors and huge fins .. from memory still running on LPG, fortunately parked somewhere we can admire it ...... it's just hideous, I'd love to own it.

what sort of studebaker? There is a couple around here that really catch the eye. I sometimes see a "well used" and still enjoyed hawk with the 2doors and huge fins .. from memory still running on LPG, fortunately parked somewhere we can admire it ...... it's just hideous, I'd love to own it.
'57 Commander 259 V8

20171117_133100-1.jpeg

Oh yeah .... I like that. I don't care about the number of doors (infact prefer four). I think there is something wrong with me lately, I keep seeing old american cars and thinking "I like that" .... I mean the oddballs that aren't worth the crazy money yet. I wouldn't pass up a corvair either.

The offset was adopted to ensure the correct orientation of lamps in the reflectors, which increasingly are complex shapes for directional lighting. This applies particularly to double filament stop lights. It has become the standard for newer cars.
There are two types of pins thou and can’t be confused different height and position in both cases the globe can only go in one place.

Attachments

• A0CF68E9-331A-471D-BB38-E3692CCB7DE7.jpeg
    A0CF68E9-331A-471D-BB38-E3692CCB7DE7.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 67
I tried 4 places in Coffs Harbour before I found a place that had them ,we don't all live in the big smoke

My 1981 F100 had these offset pin bulbs in the taillights. I scrapped the styleside back as it was falling to pieces and saved all the bulbs. I ended up filing one pin off most of them to use them in parallel pin sockets. This type of bulb must have been around for a while?