New DS

Bruce Tatt

Tadpole
Does anyone out there believe that a new DS model would be a winner.

I'd love to see all the original features that made the car so futuristic and different.

:adrink:

Bruce Tatt said:
Does anyone out there believe that a new DS model would be a winner.

I'd love to see all the original features that made the car so futuristic and different.

:adrink:

Hi Bruce, there was a picture recently posted that was a modernised version of what a new DS would look like. Everyone wanted one.
Just as the Mini has been updated, and the Beetle, the CX Citroen has been updated with the C6, soon to be released .
Maybe the updated DS is on the drawing boards...who knows?
Cheers..George 1/8th :cheers: :cool:

Last edited:
Maybe the updated DS is on the drawing boards...who knows?

I hope not i need continuation of service for my car and others need it also. It may send Citroen bakrupt once again....:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

The C6 is suppose to be spiritual successor to the DS, according to citroen that is :joker: I think the problem for them is they cant afford to make a large size car in the executive vehicle class (the 5, E-class, A6) that challenge the conventional. Look what happen to the Renault when they try something different. :nownow:

Is funny u mention that, cause I'm currently working on a design for WADA 2005 Young Designer of the Year (that's wheels mag and Australain design award).
My design is a small hybid (as required by the brief) sport coupe that incorporates a number of design cue (let said inspired by :roflmao: ) from the DS.

I see both the new generation + the olddies :D driving around in this little hybid car (light= fast& fun) that is unlike anything on the road. Think the graceful lines of the DS & not the challenging styling of the smart coupe! It's has that French quirkiness about it as well.

This one ?

- xTc -

Attachments

• DS08.jpg
    DS08.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 314
It really looks like agreat car indeed but i just cant see citroen pumping great amounts of cash into something like that these days.....:rolleyes:

It's just you :whip:

I wonder how much it would cost to manufacture the original DS with an updated engine in the modern economic climate...

Chris

The guy who did some of the bodywork on my car said that he had a client who was VERY fussy and wanted everything replaced on his D - he replaced all the fasteners/bolts on the rear bumper bar and there was $38 alone worth of them :eek: - from Wurth, so not cheap, but that gives you an indication of the amount of labour that would go into building a modern day replica DS.

I realise that a lot could be done by machines, but you would have to change so many of the crucial style elements to make the assembly 'machine friendly' that you would end up with a different car.

My :2cents:

P

chris said:
I wonder how much it would cost to manufacture the original DS with an updated engine in the modern economic climate...Chris
Can't see it being a huge cost, it would be an amazing vehicle and generate amazing interest (think New Mini, New Beetle) ... They would have to be true to form with the best of the DS .. things like Upsie Downsie suspension, swiveling headlights, single spoke steering wheel (or the new C4 style). Whilst adding modern safety (ABS, Airbags, etc etc), lumped with a nice 3ltr V6 Petrol or 2.7 Diesel and they'd sell heaps ... go-on Cit .. I dare Ya !!!! :clown:

- xTc -

Would you really want one?

Part of what makes a DS so special in my book is that it was an era unto itself. The new Mini and the new Beetle have pulled from the past some of the design features and incorporated it into what is expected of a modern car but at what cost? The new machines have some of the look but none of the motivation. The VW and Mini, cars for the masses, are now reserved for yuppies and Red Bull Promotions.

Would a new DS be as revolutionary today as it was back then?

Would the mystique and the motivation that led to the DS being the show stopper it was in 1956 be translated into modern terms without tarnishing the history?

I tend to think let well enough alone.

lazenbaby said:
Would a new DS be as revolutionary today as it was back then?

Yes :roflmao:

Hell, I get second looks driving around in a GS wagon, which isn't even close to a D for distinctive. The "new" Beetle and Mini aren't exactly shining examples of re-releasing a car either... one is a Golf with different panels and it's just as well the other one has a big "Mini" label stuck on it... a brand-spanking new D would still be like nothing else on the road. I'd even aspire to own one, which I don't with any other new car :rolleyes:

Chris

lazenbaby said:
I tend to think let well enough alone.

I couldn't agree more.

For me the iconic status of the DS derives largely from the way it took an almost bewildering leap into the future (landing smoothly, of course). It was all about looking forward.

The new MINI & the new Beetle (and the PT Cruiser while we are at it) owe their shapes to nothing more than a fashion for nostalgia, the Beetle to the extent that function is actually compromised in the sense of space utilisation. That is perfectly lovely if you like it; personally I don't - I find it almost dishonest and not a bit like what i see Citroen to represent. For Citroen to produce a car that was as backward-looking seems a betrayal of the DS. Just my opinion. :wink2:

HOWEVER

If by a new DS you mean something as visionary, that would be fabulous. :)

Which makes me wonder - what features would you like a spiritual successor have? e.g. drive-by-wire?

Sputnik said:
Which makes me wonder - what features would you like a spiritual successor have? e.g. drive-by-wire?

mental telepathy?
(kidding)

Seriously what they should do is keep the original shape (a design classic) and just kit it out with modern mechanicals and safety gear. Simple.

A new DS

Were it to happen it would be a better car in consumerism terms, the passage of time with double diaphragm spheres for one. It would no doubt be better rust proofed, (D shells were never properly painted inside ) and also for crash worthiness have to be a more rigid bodyshell ( DSs creak and flex ) with infinitely better sound proofing and dust proofing. DS bootlids for example were a flimsy disaster ! The ventilation system would probably not be sourced from the front bumper ( or if it was be better ducted than that alfoil cardboard tube stuff ). In short it would be obliged to be a modern monocoque shell rather than the caisson and poorly attached poor quality bodywork that afflicted all Ds ( Why do the front doors tear at their corners ? They never fitted well ) The bolted in glass screens were not very practical..leak wise. Computer aided design and finite analysis of stresses would guarantee a better shell. Oh please ensure the air con compressor is driven off the crankshaft too.
The turning lights were a revelation in their time ( when 12 volt tungsten filament globes were the norm..the quartz bulbs were a great leap forward, but the cables and spring articulation systems were subject to lots of vibration and needed periodic readjustment..the modern electronics must be better..if less sexy to look at.)
Rather than reinvent the D..why not resurrect the luscious ACTIVA specials..or an SM with reliability. But please keep the full foam seating and Pallas style of soft interiors...far easier on soft human flesh than the rigidity of modern interior trimming...and real stainless steel brightwork not chromed plastic.And decent engine mounts, with plenty of ventilation of the engine compartment..
Accumulators with some cooling airflow or in accessible positions would be a must too...but the braking system could stay as is..well up to modern demands...brilliant ! Love the button ! And a 5 or 6 speed hydraulique selector system ..and keep the ultra long travel suspension..make it ride like a D from the early 60s. What a wish list !