Never a dull moment...

Weak compression doesn't necessarily mean a blown head gasket. Could be rings, valves, cracked head, leaking sparkplug or fuel injector seals.

I think it's possible to pull the fuel rail with all the injectors still attached. You'll have to gerry rig the pump to run as there's no priming function on the BX to pressurise the fuel rail. If no.2 injector is leaking then that's probably your culprit.
Lol faulksy. On the whole I'd prefer a blown gasket over some of the alternatives...

Closing this out. A stuck injector was the root cause. The injector cleanings folk cleared whatever it was that was causing the injector needle to stick and tested it. It's getting a little wobbly so time to source a new set.

Thanks all for advice and input! Shane @DoubleChevron gets brownies points for a correct diagnosis 💪. This forum rules OK!

Closing this out. A stuck injector was the root cause. The injector cleanings folk cleared whatever it was that was causing the injector needle to stick and tested it. It's getting a little wobbly so time to source a new set.

Thanks all for advice and input! Shane @DoubleChevron gets brownies points for a correct diagnosis 💪. This forum rules OK!
Your compression was probably a little low because the extra fuel would have washed the oil off that cylinder's wall.

Nicely worked through. Your really lucky it didn't hydro-lock and bend a rod (I did that in the shitbox range rover a few years back .... the fuel pressure regulator died .... and fuel poured straight out of the vacuum capsule on the top of it .... and sprayed straight into the velocity stack that feeds No 8 cylinder while I was cranking it to start ..... bending its conrod :eek: ).

Nicely worked through. Your really lucky it didn't hydro-lock and bend a rod (I did that in the shitbox range rover a few years back .... the fuel pressure regulator died .... and fuel poured straight out of the vacuum capsule on the top of it .... and sprayed straight into the velocity stack that feeds No 8 cylinder while I was cranking it to start ..... bending its conrod :eek: ).
Farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

k!!

Very smoky exhaust. I'm hoping that's a result of unburnt fuel ending up in the exhaust system giving everything a bit of a wash rather than something more sinister.

Gotta fix the brand new LHM leak before investigating further...