Netflix - Carlos Ghosn

renault8&10

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Of interest to those with a Netflix account; or access to someone else’, Netflix has recently dropped a 1.5-2hr documentary on Carlos and the goings on in Japan that has some archival footage of his rise within Renault/Nissan and the goings on in Japan including a reenactment of how he escape.

I watched it this afternoon and thought it OK without being brilliant.

he himself declined to be interviewed, but other family, former staff etc do appear.

It’s in my watch list. But CBF as I may have to read subtitles.

It’s like I have to be in the mood…. Like eating sushi

Once shareholders have had a gutful of Tech Trump, I'd like to see Carlos appointed CEO of Tesla. Of course, I'm dreaming...

Watched the Netflix documentary, a couple of days ago, it didn't settle anything other than open some more speculation as nothing earth shattering as to what we knew, obvious dispute over permissions and facts, sticking point seems to have been the oppressive Japanese grinding length of interrogations and separation from family etc that lead to his extraction to Lebanon. His position of course is that he was innocent and a victim of Japanese auto politics, and he could be right.

The Japanese 99.9% conviction rate was a bit tempered by disclosure that prosecutors only proceed on 45% (or thereabouts) to submit cases for actual prosecution.

The inference being that eventually if he maintained his innocence the system might....ok might have favoured him. Of course he elected to decamp to Lebanon and that may have favoured his enemies as much as it disadvantaged him, in the Limbo land (of the law) that he now lives in.

Wait for the final episodes IF it ever gets to some competent law process to either clear or convict. Tis a different world to that of us mere mortals who never rise to those dizzy heights of wealth and power, risk and reward.

Ken

Watched the Netflix documentary, a couple of days ago, it didn't settle anything other than open some more speculation as nothing earth shattering as to what we knew, obvious dispute over permissions and facts, sticking point seems to have been the oppressive Japanese grinding length of interrogations and separation from family etc that lead to his extraction to Lebanon. His position of course is that he was innocent and a victim of Japanese auto politics, and he could be right.

The Japanese 99.9% conviction rate was a bit tempered by disclosure that prosecutors only proceed on 45% (or thereabouts) to submit cases for actual prosecution.

The inference being that eventually if he maintained his innocence the system might....ok might have favoured him. Of course he elected to decamp to Lebanon and that may have favoured his enemies as much as it disadvantaged him, in the Limbo land (of the law) that he now lives in.

Wait for the final episodes IF it ever gets to some competent law process to either clear or convict. Tis a different world to that of us mere mortals who never rise to those dizzy heights of wealth and power, risk and reward.

Ken
We must be ego-deprived!

The other interesting segment was the early part where Renault (GHOSN ?) had three sacked on the allegation they had corroborated with China's Industrial espionage efforts to acquire technical specifications and data on Renault electric vehicle chassis R & D. Seems from the story, it was only based upon some word of mouth tip-off.

Must be quite a bit more to that story too, though in specialized areas like the auto industry, behind the scenes industry gossip, can be true especially if the source of the information is completely trusted but cannot be revealed.

The whole espionage system relies on trusted word of mouth and if the source is too valuable to burn by revealing (or is at risk of harm) employment tribunals are not impressed with that evidence free notion and predictably it costs the company money, and there was a whole lot of money swirling around it seems.

Ken