My PUG 308's engine bay feels super hot - short or long runs!

"they are only interested in $$$ upgrades@ ... you're probably Spot-On!
Have reinstalled my original Turbo... feels really good and pulls like a demon.
Thanks for your interest....
P.S. Do u know if I can attach a short 30sec video, illustrating the state of my Turbo's wastegate?

Press the three dots in the header when you post and there are more options. You are subject to a very strict file size, so you probably have to use something like ffmpeg to severely shrink it.

ffmpeg is originally a comprehensive Linux video utility but there is a Windows build somebody has made. It is a terminal/DOS only program with a zillion possible actions, many of which can happen at once. The simplest one for shrinking is to increase the crf value. There are plenty of online how-tos, so use one., as it will describe a tight codec and low bit rate. You don't need an audio channel, presumably.

Windows already has a video editor which is not as capable, but may be sufficient.

I like a linux machine it can do nearly anything and hate the prick who stole it, but windows can do it, just,

My Citroen manual says the opening temperature is 105 deg, unless the engine computer opens it at 89 deg.

Another manual gives this chart for the temperature sensor (which operates on a 5V signal from the computer)-- NB logarithmic scale.
View attachment 212741
Hi Seasink, Yes, your 'chart' is absolutely 'on point' with my physical experiment. (Sensor out of the car and into boiling water, 100*C at sea level).
  • Citroen Chart reading: 100*C = 200 Ohms.
  • My Multimeter gives a reading of 300 Ohms, from the Sensor in boiling water, ( the equivalent of water at 80*C on the Chart), so the ECM is receiving the reading at only 80*C, even though it's at least 100*C, or more!
Result: From the above data - the thermostat doesn't open ...and the radiator doesn't do it's job either.
Note: The bottom radiator hose gets pretty hot after a drive cycle ... making my dilemma even more curious!
Thanks for your assistance, perhaps I need to buy a new Sensor....oouch!!

Are you sure it isn't just designed to run at temperature over 100degrees (no doubt fuel economy/emissions reasons). Remember coolant won't boil at 100 degrees. Given its coolant and running at pressure it probably boils at closer to 130degrees

Hi D,
Point taken, thanks for that.
  • I'll warm up the car and immediately do an external thermal temp check, on the temperatures of the radiator hoses top and bottom early next week .
  • Find a 'known good' regarding the Coolant Temp sensor Ohms readout in boiling water.