My new Mi16

Pug Warrior

Fellow Frogger
Gday

I am now (3wks actually) the proud new owner of a Peugeot Mi16 s2!

i have never driven, or even considered getting one, but the 1st time i drove the 2l 1993 16v machine, i fell in love withit! at the price my mate was offering ($7k), despite the high mileage (200k) it was an offer i couldnt refuse.

i happened to encounter this website through a search engine, and i have to commend on the quality of the posts. It really is a valuable resource.

As a note, SO many people tried to dissuade me from buying the Pug, citing issues of reliability (or lack thereof), expensive and hard to get parts, crap cars, etc etc etc. But once i did get it, and let them go for a test drive, boy did they chew their words.

I have to admit, i did buy the car with a list of issues which were:

- timing belt needs changing (how much would that cost i wonder?)
- there is a constant buzzing noise emanating behind the glove box
- a few scratches and pin dents, all minor (paintwork is still very shiny though)
- lumbar support for drivers seat not functioning)
- idling RPM too high at 1100 RPM
- lack of recent logs/reciepts

But the cleanliness of the exterior and interior and the engine bay, and with all fluids at their correct levels and colour, i have a feeling this is a car i am going to keep for a looong time.

Anyway that is my intro, hopefully i can contribute to this site in future.

Hi Pug Warrior, Welcome to the forum!

Its great to see new faces here, and it sounds like you picked up a decent Pug there :D

200k really isn't all that much for a Peugeot, well not the older ones. I do not have much experience with the 405. One thing we have all come to accept (and love :confused: clown ) are rattles and groans from our interiors. Although if you think the interior quality is not quite up to japanese standards I suggest you take a look at a Citroen BX. You'll start to think your 405 was built by VW :D evil :D

All the best, and most of all; have fun!

Cheers,

Nick

The cambelt job should be done as a matter of urgency whip These motors have one real big appetite which comes to the fore if the cambelt snaps. Valves hit pistons and you can use your imagination from there eek! eek!
Recommended time is 3.6 hours @ $whatever per hour plus the price of the belt; in Australia anything from $50 to $150 depending on how greedy they are. If you are resonably good at DIY can be done yourself. I've just done mine & found it to be a very overrated job.
The buzzing noise sounds like possibly a warning buzzer or a stuffed relay,
Pull the seat out & have a look at the limbar support; probably not all that serious and easily fixed.
Idling too high will probably turn out to be like my BX; the spring clip holding the accelerator cable was in the wrong groove or the problem may be a little more deep seated. Either way it shouldn't be terminal.
As far as mileage goes; the highest miles I have heard of came from a BX owner in the UK - 535,000 MILES so I'd reckon yours should have a few more left in it yet. dance BX 16 valves with over 300K klms are quite common over there.

Alan S

thanks for the welcome guys

I have noticed some rattles and groans in the interior... oh well cant have it all can we :)

thanks Alan for the advice.. i think i will check it in to get it serviced which brings me to another question:

Can anyone recommend a mechanic i can send the car in to get serviced and their experiences?

I have read in some posts recommending that place in Victoria Rd Gladesville (what was the name?).

Cheers

Pug Warrior

Firstly, Pugs are no more unreliable that any other marque. Also, many private Pug spares operators often comment on the cheaper prices of the parts compared to the Japanese/Aussie cars that they own. Would you beleive that a 1 yo Landcruiser has blown a headgasket?? John Laws would be turning in his grave!!! Plus we will not go on about the wonderful VT Crummydore......

If you are a keen home mechanic, grab yourself a copy of the Haynes 405 workshop manual from a motor book store or a local Pug workshop. I got mine of P504 @ Forestville for about $35.

To answer some more questions;
1) Get the timing belt done ASAP. It is recommended on a life expectancy of 4 years (NOT KMS travelled). If you are not sure of it's age, better to be safe rather than VERY sorry. It will cost you half the car to get the engine fixed again.

2) The buzzing noise would be your fan housing. If you open the glove box, you will see the black cylinder if you peer a torch into there. It always runs when the ignition (not accessories) is on. Sounds like you have a leaf in the blade area but as the S2 405's have a "Pollen Filter" for the cabin, I am suprised something has got inside (if that is what it is). Does the buzzing sound increase with fan speed??? It is an easy job to look for. Just take the glove box out and 'unclip' to bottom of the fan cylinder. It will drop out and you may be able to see the cause straight away!

3) Idling Speed - if you are not keen on it running higer than normal (850rpm for manuals), from what I have read, you must take it to a repairer. In the XU10J4's, they run a BOSCH Motronic MP3.2 ECU which cannot be adjusted like some others. It uses about 10 sensors to ensure the engine is running at it's peak. This includes intake air temp., Oxy sensor, knock sensor blah blah blah!!!

As long as the fluids are staying where they are supposed to and the engine is not smoking, HAVE FUN and enjoy a great car. In regards to the creaks and squeeks, TURN UP THE STEREO!!!! I have got batty fixing each one and then another appears.

In regards to repairers, there are many WONDERFUL ones out there. I have been using P504 for ages. They are on the northside if that is convenient for you. Go to the Froggie 'search' area and type in Sydney repairers and you will find many recommendations.

Best of luck
Stu G. dance

Howdy Stu,

I reckon my next car may be an Mi16 after I've sorted the missus out (no, not like that head_ban ).

Can you recommend/is there a good book on them? I like all I hear about them, and want to know more.

Cheers mate

Stuey

Hi Pug Warrior,

Welcome to the forum. I am also an MI16 owner. I have had my car for about 2 years. You should really enjoy owning the car. Don't listen to stories from people who usually don't have any idea what they are talking about. The 405 MI16 represents one of the best value for money second hand cars on the road. They were $50k new and you paid $7k for a 1993 model. Bargain! Somebody lost a lot of money on it. The reason they are so cheap is because of a lack of understanding/interest from your average motorist. Their problem really. The parts are neither hard to come by nor expensive. I rebuilt the engine in mine as well as getting a lot of other things sorted. (while it's apart, you may as well). They are beautifully engineered. The head and the exhaust manifold are works of art in themselves. Replace that cambelt now. You really don't want it to break at 7000rpm. You should really enjoy the way they handle. The tail is just so adjustable with the throttle. See you in here in the future.

Cal.

<small>[ 09 July 2002, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Cal ]</small>

Cal:
The tail is just so adjustable with the throttle. See you in here in the future.

Cal.
LOL...yeah unless you come in a bit hot into that left hander onto Beaudesert Road...then you have yourself some soiled boxers.

Speaking of which, came very close to my cars limits last night coming back from the North side down Kelvin Grove Road taking the left hand off ramp which feeds onto Gilchrist Av/Hale St. The corner is not too bad, its just that I fed too much on considering the road crests and falls away to the left, hence less traction... dead

Stuey,

Here's a road test comparison between the Pug Mi16 and the BX 16 valve Gti - enjoy :D

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/citroen_bx/twin.html" target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/citroen_bx/twin.html</a>

It's a bit different wink

Alan S

No wonder you chose that review mallet

LOL. Well today I'm going to the State Library, so while I'm there I'll look for a couple of old 405 Mi16 review (they have EVERY wheels magazine in their archives). While I'm there I'm going to look for the original 1979 review of the 505 GR
head_ban

Yes Phasis, that was a bit of a moment. I think I was still half asleep. There isn't really much more in it than 60 degrees before disaster. That must have looked so funny in your mirrors!

Thanks for posting that roadtest Alan S. If anybody else has any MI16 tests\comparisons ect, I have been looking for some for a long time. Posting them would be much appreciated. 205/306 ones would be good to see also.

I have been unable to track down the wheels mag where the S16 was compared. I do seem to recall reading it though. All I can remember is that it said "Plus - out handles a WRX" :p

I am going to have to take a trip into the State archives.

Pug warrior. If your in Sydney you should go see Colliers automative in Granville. David is fantastic. Years ago he built Renault engines and i consider him to be an expert. Ive never had an issue with him...

Thanks for that Alan - I'm actually considering a BX equally, don't worry...

BTW I've got every CAR magazine bar one from 1989 to 1999, so I'll dig any 405 Mi16 articles out at some stage (don't hold your breath) and get them scanned by a mate for your pleasure (I don't have a scanner).

Cheers

Stu

On the topic of reviews, i've got a couple of internet reviews

<a href="http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content/19990226/reviews/review44.html" target="_blank">http://drive.fairfax.com.au/content/19990226/reviews/review44.html</a> - SMH, Mi16 gave 2/5 :confused:

<a href="http://www.carsurvey.org/review_21133.html" target="_blank">http://www.carsurvey.org/review_21133.html</a> - uk site that gets car reviews from people that own em cool site, quite a number of pug mi16 reviewed!

With all the 'doom and gloom' with the timing belt (and it is common sense to be safe than sorry) im scared to race the car... i will book it in ASAP ie next week and let you guys know how it goes, i'll just have to figure which is the most convenient place to go to, i appreciate the comments and recommendations

BTW, is there any way of ascertaining the condition of a timing belt? i can't think of anyway unless it is seen physically?

Cheers

Pug warrior. If your in Sydney you should go see Colliers automative in Granville. David is fantastic. Years ago he built Renault engines and i consider him to be an expert. Ive never had an issue with him...
tell me
does marge still have her 604 ?

Pug Warrior good to see another convert.

and 200,000Kms no probs in the words of Chipper "200,000K's it's just run in" :D

- there is a constant buzzing noise emanating behind the glove box
I've just found the cause of the same noise in my 89 Mi16 it was a striped plastic gear in the heater control unit. :rolleyes: I haven't priced one as yet but I'm guessing the whole assembly will be required. The said item is located on the RHS of the centre hump it requires some dexterity but it can be removed from the drivers footwell without any other disassembly, apart from the opening of the fuse cover on my S1 car, your S2 car should be close to the same. :D

<small>[ 11 July 2002, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: rick_b ]</small>