My new 205si

apitiser

Fellow Frogger
Hi everyone,

About 2 weeks ago I went to Adelaide and picked up a 93 205si. It's my second pug, the other being a rough 90 405 mi16. The lady I bought the car off mentioned it had a few issues, most of them not stopping the car from working but the main problem was the radiator was a mini waterfall so she just wanted to get rid of it.

After a new rad was put in and the car checked for any remaining leaks, it was driven back to Melbourne and then followed with a visit to Cals (Codman) place to put up on the hoist and check the condition of everything. Surprising, it is in good condition with just some rubber parts that need replaced before it can go for a roadworthy.

Last weekend I also took it to a motorkhana to see how it would handle and it finished 2nd in class which I'm happy about. It has made me think about what I want to do with the car after getting a feel for how it handles and I hoping the community here might be able to help me out with some questions that I have.

My main problem right now is all of my CV boots need replaced. I have tried calling a few places. Pugwreck cant get them and when I gave Unique Auto Parts the last 8 number of my vin the car came up as a 1.4 diesel??
Where can I find CV boot kits?

The main thing I noticed about the car at the motorkhana is that the car rolled around quite a lot. The tyres that are on the car were partly to blame for this and some of the rubber parts being quite worn. I have ordered some new lower control arms, powerflex arb bushes, Cal has a group n rear engine mount that is going to go in the car and some new tyres so the car should feel much better once that stuff is in but what shock and spring options are there for an si without switching to gti stuff? I have been googling about what I can do but I haven't really found any options. Are there other parts around for si's that improve the handling.

The brakes are pretty mushy. Can I make the current brakes feel better with braided lines, fluid and decent pads?
Is that worth doing am I better off putting bigger brakes for a base model 306?

The reverse light doesn't come on. Tried a few different globes and Cal checked the wires and they are getting 12v so not sure what is going on there.

I'm really happy with the car and I'm looking forward to getting all these things fixed so I can fully enjoy it so If you have any suggestions or advice for me then I'd be happy to take it on board.

Also sorry about my writing. Some things might not make sense but thanks and good work for making it this far.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3244.jpg
    IMG_3244.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_3184.jpg
    IMG_3184.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 206
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 197
Nice buy Ap....re the cv boots...simply take the measurements of them and go to a CV joint place....they should have something very similar....will save you a bomb too rather then OE.
Also i would go genuine ARB bushes....they are good.
No need for 306 brakes....simply use good new fluid and new pads....bingo !!

Nice buy Ap....re the cv boots...simply take the measurements of them and go to a CV joint place....they should have something very similar....will save you a bomb too rather then OE.

Congrats on the buy, looks like a really nice 205. I agree with JR fix the brakes you have spongy brakes is a warning to fix them. Give it another go once all the rubber bits are fixed and I’m sure it will feel very different.

Do eBay in Europe.
The 205 is common there .
NOS is not expensive. About a week by post and beats a lot of the service here unless you deal with people who know Peugeot.

You can get the boots done for $20 a boot at the driveshaft place round the corner from my factory. Replace the brakes, Si brakes are hopeless, nothing to do with sponginess, they just don't stop, probably the master cylinder to caliper piston ratio is wrong. Early 306 brakes make a big improvement and bolt straight on. I just run fairly stiff rear shocks (Koni yellow) in my Si club car and don't have any roll problems. 14 inch wheels and 185 65 tyres probably make a difference too. Put in an Mi16 gearbox, makes a huge difference.
Hi everyone,

About 2 weeks ago I went to Adelaide and picked up a 93 205si. It's my second pug, the other being a rough 90 405 mi16. The lady I bought the car off mentioned it had a few issues, most of them not stopping the car from working but the main problem was the radiator was a mini waterfall so she just wanted to get rid of it.

After a new rad was put in and the car checked for any remaining leaks, it was driven back to Melbourne and then followed with a visit to Cals (Codman) place to put up on the hoist and check the condition of everything. Surprising, it is in good condition with just some rubber parts that need replaced before it can go for a roadworthy.

Last weekend I also took it to a motorkhana to see how it would handle and it finished 2nd in class which I'm happy about. It has made me think about what I want to do with the car after getting a feel for how it handles and I hoping the community here might be able to help me out with some questions that I have.

My main problem right now is all of my CV boots need replaced. I have tried calling a few places. Pugwreck cant get them and when I gave Unique Auto Parts the last 8 number of my vin the car came up as a 1.4 diesel??
Where can I find CV boot kits?

The main thing I noticed about the car at the motorkhana is that the car rolled around quite a lot. The tyres that are on the car were partly to blame for this and some of the rubber parts being quite worn. I have ordered some new lower control arms, powerflex arb bushes, Cal has a group n rear engine mount that is going to go in the car and some new tyres so the car should feel much better once that stuff is in but what shock and spring options are there for an si without switching to gti stuff? I have been googling about what I can do but I haven't really found any options. Are there other parts around for si's that improve the handling.

The brakes are pretty mushy. Can I make the current brakes feel better with braided lines, fluid and decent pads?
Is that worth doing am I better off putting bigger brakes for a base model 306?

The reverse light doesn't come on. Tried a few different globes and Cal checked the wires and they are getting 12v so not sure what is going on there.

I'm really happy with the car and I'm looking forward to getting all these things fixed so I can fully enjoy it so If you have any suggestions or advice for me then I'd be happy to take it on board.

Also sorry about my writing. Some things might not make sense but thanks and good work for making it this far.

Thanks

Last edited:
The ARB bushes are 23 mm, I have never seen genuine ones listed anywhere. The only other source except Powerflex is in a SASIC kit, use the ARB bushes and throw the outer LCA bushes in the bin, the inner ones are probably OK.

Just incase this is of any interest to you, I have some 205 / 306 parts for sale.
205 lowering springs (pair), 306 XSi complete running gear (engine, BE3 box, driveshafts, hubs, brakes, loom etc).306 disc-braked rear beam.)
All reasonable prices, on the Gold Coast but can post. Will split the drivetrain if that suits.
Cheers
Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice looking Si, well done.

With the lights, try this. Push down the globes gently when reverse is engaged and see if they come on. If they do, the plastic holder is worn and doesn't hold them tight against the contacts. What you can do is rework the tin in the bottom of the globe with a soldering iron to make sure it's fresh and add some solder to make it bigger so it pushes a bit more firmly against the contact.

When you measured the 12 V at the lights did you measure on the globe contacts or elsewhere? If elsewhere (say in the connector wires or on the back of the light) assemble the light and try to measure directly on the contacts. If you don't get 12V that way, you have some imperfect connection somewhere between the point where you measured the first time and the contacts.

You can get the boots done for $20 a boot at the driveshaft place round the corner from my factory. Replace the brakes, Si brakes are hopeless, nothing to do with sponginess, they just don't stop, probably the master cylinder to caliper piston ratio is wrong. Early 306 brakes make a big improvement and bolt straight on. I just run fairly stiff rear shocks (Koni yellow) in my Si club car and don't have any roll problems. 14 inch wheels and 185 65 tyres probably make a difference too. Put in an Mi16 gearbox, makes a huge difference.

Could I get the name of the place that does The boots for $20. That’s a great price!

The brakes have the ability to lock the tyres up if I stomp on them so shouldn’t they become better if I update the parts? I am only really planning on using this car for some casual driving and motorkhanas

Do I have to move up to 14s to use the 306 brakes? I am getting some new tyres for those 13 inch wheels the car came with so I might have to pass on getting 14s for a while. I was thinking about getting some nice tyres for my 405 so I can put those on the front if I want to run the car a bit harder

Is your club car that white one you run for SCC? Does that have stock front shocks and the koni’s you mentioned on the rear?

Spongy brakes can be a sign there's water in the system (brake fluid is very hygroscopic) or maybe air. When was the fluid last changed? If it's a long time, that may be your problem.

The car didn't come with any record of it's service history so no idea when the fluid was last changed. I'll grab some new fluid and put that in and see what difference it makes

I'll probably stick with the stock brakes for a while but do what you said and use good new fluid and pads.

Do you run the stock brakes in your si? What pads work well in an si? I'm new to these cars and have a million questions to ask

I had a good try with the white SCC car to use Si brakes. I found some pads soft enough to work but then they faded in a 3km closed road section!
Yes, need 14 inch wheels for the 306 brakes. If it is only used for motorkahanas it should be Ok with the Si brakes. CV Action Australia I think, in Dingley Ave. Yes, my 205 has stock front shocks, they work very well, I'm going through a few at the moment though, due to leaking, although I have found that Xsara and 306 struts fit perfectly (in my road car) once you change the tops, so may look for some of these.

Could I get the name of the place that does The boots for $20. That’s a great price!

The brakes have the ability to lock the tyres up if I stomp on them so shouldn’t they become better if I update the parts? I am only really planning on using this car for some casual driving and motorkhanas

Do I have to move up to 14s to use the 306 brakes? I am getting some new tyres for those 13 inch wheels the car came with so I might have to pass on getting 14s for a while. I was thinking about getting some nice tyres for my 405 so I can put those on the front if I want to run the car a bit harder

Is your club car that white one you run for SCC? Does that have stock front shocks and the koni’s you mentioned on the rear?

Graham,
what's the advantage in 306 struts?
And what would you do to the rear when you installed them, anything needed?

Really just another source of genuine Peugeot struts, the XSara ones on my everyday 205 are great, only 15 years old! No need to change the rear. You need to replace the 306/Xsara strut tops as they are totally different to 205 (in my case I use S2 405 tops, much better than the 205 ones) and I use the original 205 springs.

If you manage to find the CV boot measurements, i'm very interested...

I should have taken them when I had the shafts out. I was told I had to order new shafts, not just new boots and took that word as gospel. Bollocks.

If you manage to find the CV boot measurements, i'm very interested...

I should have taken them when I had the shafts out. I was told I had to order new shafts, not just new boots and took that word as gospel. Bollocks.

I might try and pull the shafts out this weekend so if I do I’ll grab a ruler and get some measurements.

I have been calling around to some cv shops about getting the boots done and they all cost too much or don’t deal with Peugeot stuff but a few recommended just trying to use universal boots. Have people had any luck with them? It’s definitely the cheapest option

Just on the reverse lights, check the reverse light switch. If it's like a 306 it'll be mounted on the gearbox. I had to replace mine last week on my 306. Should be $20-30.
To test you can unplug the switch and bridge the pins with a paper clip, if light go on then it's that