My First Pug

s_ikari2015

Tadpole
Hi Everyone. This week I joined the Aussie Frog Owners when I found a little white Peugeot 205 SI on Gumtree. I've always liked the 205s and decided "why not?" as it was within my $1000 budget for a new commuter vehicle.

Well, I was a little nervous when it was missing on the test drive under light acceleration, but having worked on several different types of cars before I was confident it was an easy fix, plus I got $100 knocked off the price.

So Thursday night I was down my local "very inexpensive" auto store and picked up new spark plugs. $25 fixed the missing problem and the car runs great now. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Now I know you're probably thinking "why did you get the 1.6 SI instead of finding a GTI?". Simple, budget and purpose. I only wanted to spend $1k on the purchase of a car, not 5 times that, and it's only going to be a commuter car so I can start some more projects on my CV8 Monaro and 1983 Subaru Sherpa.

I'm a bit car crazy, and I'm really looking forward to learning everything I can about this little French mystery box.

I'll get some photos up sometime soon. :)

Welcome, I've also joined recently after getting a little white 205, hopefully you enjoy it as much as I've been. There's lots of helpful supportive fellow pug owners here.
cheers Craig

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs mobile app

Welcome to the SI club!
Now where's the photos? :)

When I bought my Clio 4 years ago, I read up a lot on 80's and 90's French cars in my old magazines. I read quitea a few articles on the 205 SI. Almost all were very complimentary despite the significant price premium over Japanese and French shopping cars of the day. If I didn't already have 4 cars, it's one I'd certainly consider as a club plate car now that they're reaching the 25 year mark.

As promised, here are the photos of my fun little 205 that I'm rapidly becoming very fond of.

IMG_20160203_184355.jpgIMG_20160203_191433.jpgIMG_20160205_191305.jpgIMG_20160205_191310.jpgIMG_20160205_191319.jpgIMG_20160205_191330.jpg

it looks in terrific nick! seems like a very good buy.
welcome to 205 world, us little band of musketeers...

It has a few things, well, several things that need fixing.

Aircon doesn't engage
Heat core is disconnected (good assumption it's leaked)
Blower Fan doesn't turn on at all
Front foglights are unplugged and passenger side is smashed
Tailgate has rust spots
Driver's door has dent in lower half with cracked paint
Driver's side headlight adjuster is broken/unservicable and headlight has to be held upright with duct tape
Drivers seat base stitching has come undone at the back (no tears awesomely) and foam worn on driver's right base bolster
Front AND rear windscreen washers don't work (front is probably the motor, rear is missing the nozzle but the motor works)
Two instrument lights behind the speedo are out
Trip meter reset doesn't work (odometer and trip meter does, just can't reset)
Coin tray lid has no hinges or push clip
Central locking on the driver's door and tailgate doesn't always work, and doesn't work at all on the passenger door (does the passenger door even have central locking?)

Oh, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get access to replace the oil filter... I've got a haynes manual on the way, but I'm guessing it's going to say something clever like:
"Remove the oil filter making sure the old oil seal is also removed. Before fitting the new filter apply a film of new oil to the new oil filter seal. Fit the new oil filter turning clockwise until hand-tight."

Thanks, but HOW do I get access to remove said old filter and then fit said new filter? The aircon is in the way from the bottom, the intake manifold is in the way from the top and the radiator is in the way from the front of the car. Well done Peugeot, let's trap the single most frequently serviced item in an engine!

the badge, put there by a previous owner, says 1.9.

From what I can tell, it's a 1.6. Everything appears 1.6, engine number on the paperwork and the auto trans is the right type for the 1.6. It looks very typically like the 1.6, from the other photos I can find on the interwebs.

Any advice on replacing the oil filter on the 1.6 with aircon?

I always spin off the oil filter from above, insinuating my hand through the chaos,
skinning knuckles etc, ditto putting the new one on.
the trickiest bit is getting whatever implement you've got to loosen the filter on to it.
before you start make sure you've got the right tool, or substitute, for the sump plug.
yes, the passenger door is part of the central locking, but this facility on 205s is
very much optional, depending on atmospherics, lunar phases and cosmic confusion.

My si has or had nearly all the same probs as yours.
My windscreen washers didn't work because the switch on the stalk needed cleaning, used crc 226.
I've yet to fix my seats base, the a/c, the central locking, (both doors), the heater the dents and the cracked/faded paint...
And I'm gonna lose some serious skin getting that filter off...:)

*All the electrical problems I've fixed so far have been caused by dirty contacts/plugs/connectors.
I don't think anything has been actually broken so far, just very dirty.

Yeah I'm also stupified by the quarter use of philips head screws, the quarter use of torx star screws, the quarter of square socket bolts and then a quarter of anything else Peugeot could find at the hardware store that day.

But when you jump in and go for a spin none of that seem to matter at all! :)

Does yours have a "visible to everyone but me" "Race Me" sticker in the back window? mine seems to... :)

Nah I haven't been raced, which explains why I've been beating others off the line ;)

... not that I would be encouraging street racing, that's bad. I just enjoy accelerating as quickly as I can in a safe manner in order to get to the posted speed limit efficiently.

Alright, so I've done the service on my 205 SI. I have changed the following

Air Filter
Oil Filter (Ryco Z543 by the way) - I removed a water pipe and shifted some wiring to get to it, but from the top as people said thanks!
Oil
Spark Plugs
Spark Leads

It's running nicely now, even though the engine management (K) light comes on occasionally. My guess is the little bit of smoke it rarely has and the O2 sensor is reporting bad mixture. Might bother to get it checked out, but then again it's a shopping trolley/work commuter.

I've got a heater core coming from Latvia, and once I have the workshop manual I will remove the blower fan and diagnose that. I will also trace the wiring and find out why the aircon compressor isn't engaging.

NOW what I'm hoping to get help with is trying to find a "top" radiator hose, the one that comes off the thermostat housing. My car has the auto transmission heat exchanger and it is a weird, whacky hose. Unfortunately, it's soft and bulgy (like a moose) at the thermostat end and I want to change it sooner rather than later.

Can anybody provide a part number or some idea of where I could find one? evilBay hasn't been helpful as all listings are very vague and I'd rather get something from Australia (preferably South Australia) which can be easily exchanged if needs be.

Thanks again!.

I'm going though a similar process, basically all of my water and oil breather hoses are toast.
My top radiator hose had been replaced with a straight through hose and the cooler disconnected so I've decided to remove the cooler and have purchased a new straight through hose. I'm going to buy some actual new parts and piece the rest together with new similar parts from other cars and some straight flex for some of the smaller lines.

Now in saying that you can buy the BakerBM hoses and the kits cover every hose including that funky top hose for the cooler. But I've decided that however good the silicon hoses are I can't justify that much coin especially as I've got a lot of other things to fix. I figure I can get a top quality job done my way and it will fit up very well and save me heaps of cash.

That top hose With out the cooler lines I paid $32 for and you could use an equivalent I think someone mentioned here a JB Camira hose fits.
These hoses are one of the biggest issues with these cars.

If my plan works out I'll put up a list of equivalent hoses that fit well.