My 85 Fuego

Damien

Fellow Frogger
Hello there,

I picked up an '85 Fuego last night for $650, and rego runs out this Sunday (April 27th).

I was hoping to get a pink slip check on the weekend but doubt I'll succeed being the Anzac long weekend and all.

The clutch cable is apparently almost new, and I was advised by the gent who sold me the vehicle that it needs adjusting from time to time??

By the time I arrived home (drove from Forestville to near Hurstville) the car was obviously well warmed up, and as such the cable may have expanded (??), thus not allowing me to put it into reverse.

When I first drove off with the vehicle, I had no problems in selecting reverse, but this may have been because the vehicle (and engine bay) was cool? No?

Sorry to ramble, but is it difficult to adjust the clutch cable?

I'm thinking of getting the car serviced- any recommendations? (the carby was aparently 'recond' 2 years ago)

While I'm at it, as a new Fuego owner, whilst 'inspecting' the vehicle over this coming weekend, are there any technical things that I should lookout for, pay attention to, or be particluarly aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help!

This is a great resource!!

regards,
Damien

PS- The vehicle has done 172,000 k's

The first thing to check is how much free-play you have in the pedal (how much can you push the pedal down before it starts to feel heavy). In my expeirience, fuegos need very little free play. The adjuster is located on the cable as it exits the firewall (next to the brake master cylinder) it has two nuts which lock together. The manual states a certain freeplay, but I just tighten it up as hard as i can BY HAND and and then back it off a turn or 2 and tighten the lock nut. It is worthwhile to grease the pivot on the gearbox as they can become dry and feel "squeeaky", follow the linkages and you will see the pivot I am referring to.

With regards to your service, change/ check all fluids (brake/oil/coolant/g'box oil/power steering) so you get a base line, and then just normal routine mainanence as required. No big fubars in a fuego IMHO but check the drain holes in the doors and under the heater assy (located under the bonnet)these can clog and cause rust.

Regards,
Richard

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for your thoughtful and detailed reply!

The previous owner couldn't find the car manual, so I'm currently on the hunt for one.

I have missed owning a Renault, and am looking forward to 'getting my hands dirty' again.

Will check 'the basics' as you've suggested.

Cheers,
Damien

Right, will do.

On average, how often would you say that the clutch cable requires adjusting?

The tacho doesn't work, and the speedo's also a little dickie- tends to 'stick', but returns to zero once you pull up at the lights.

Not a real prob though- I can live with it!

Damien

My brother used to have a Fuego, and also suggested I check the timing belt- thanks!

Damien

the Cam Belt has to be replaced every 120'000 km's (which is alot for a belt). If the car has no sticker indicating when it was last changed, Change it! If it has a sticker saying it was changed at 120K I would still consider changing it to be safe.

Damien:
Right, will do.

On average, how often would you say that the clutch cable requires adjusting?

The tacho doesn't work, and the speedo's also a little dickie- tends to 'stick', but returns to zero once you pull up at the lights.

Not a real prob though- I can live with it!

Damien
I've only adjusted my currnet car 2 times in 80,000K

The Tacho needle usually gets stuck (it warps with age) against the gauge. Several fellow froggers have had both the speedo and Tacho needle replaced.

Try checking the cable at the gearbox to make sure it's not damaged.
Spraying some CRC down the cable (You will need to take the instrument binacle off) from the top might smooth things out a bit, as they get quite dry.

If you need a manual, you can order one brand new from the Haynes Manual link on the opening page of Aussiefrogs.

Right, considering that the car has travelled 172,000 clicks, if I can't find an indicator that it has been changed, will do so just to be sure to be sure.

I'm rather looking forward to 'getting intimate' with the car now. I just hope that I don't find any nasty surprises!

Thanks again for all of your contributions- all suggestions are most gratefully accepted!

Damien

I was in Motorbooks at Cremorne last weekend and there was a new Haynes Fuego manual there..

Oh, and if you need a set of Fuego front blinkers I have a set in a cupboard in Sydney, brand new in boxes. $50 I guess.

<small>[ 24 April 2003, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Craig ]</small>

Damien

You should have little trouble in getting advice on the Fuego as there are quite a few owners on the forum. So as things come up don't hesitate to ask for advice. Most repair and overhaul jobs can be done by owners with that little bit of advice and tips on how to get things in and out the "renault" way. Many of our professional renault repairers have also been very helpful with tips/shortcuts on how to approach some serious repairs.

Does the 85 have power steering? and original or replacement wheel/tyres?

In my experience once a new clutch cable has been properly seated (virtually overtightened at first to get the cable end to pop into the cavity in the firewall) (otherwise it will be misaligned and wear at that point) and then adjusted for the drivers preference for clutch take up point, it gives very little trouble. Eventually the clutch
plate wears and you will find it very hard to get
it into gear no matter how much you adjust the cable.

If your cable is running out of adjustment then one trick is to turn up a new lever actuating pin about quarter of an inch longer (yes I know everything is metric but...) which may have already been done if the clutch is on the way out.

Good luck and enjoy your car.

Ken

Check the coolant expansion bottle - where it protrudes under the plenum chamber air intake - can get UV damaged from exposure to sunlight and split (often quite dramatically, when you least expect it!)

Replacements are obtainable from Caravelle imports in Melbourne at an insanely cheap price (last time I checked) - good insurance to replace if in doubt.

Don't forget to search the aussiefrogs forum for other Fuego related topics, including speedo needle replacement & electrical gremlins etc.

Kenfuego and Europa,

Thank you both for your tips and advice, and a big thank you to all for welcoming me back to the Renault 'family'!!

This is a great forum!!

regards,
Damien

Hi Kenfuego,

Your question was:

"Does the 85 have power steering? and original or replacement wheel/tyres?"

The car does not have power steering, but does have replacment wheels- I think they may be 'momo' alloys?? They're lockable anyhow!

Is it commonplace to change to power steering, or is it not worth the trouble?

Damien

Damien

I have an 85 that does not have powersteering and but my 86 does and
frankly I prefer the power steering. My daughter had an 84 without power
steering and resisted all attempts to get her into a power steering car as she
preferred the more positive feel of the non power steering. She recently changed
over to a p/s model and I haven't heard any complaints so far.

I do know that after driving the 86, the 85 steering feels very heavy, but mine are still
running on the original TRX Michies, which most owners on this forum seem to hate, :D
I must say I do like the 100,000 km's but the compound is rather hard and can skid
under braking. (According to daughter you rarely need to brake if you are driving a
Fuego properly!!)

Enjoy your Fuego. I will be away on holidays soon so will be absent from the Forum
for a while.

Ken