My 504 Daily Driver Project

Graham - I have an entire 505 rear end in very good nick that I might just bolt in. Any reasons come to mind why this might be a bad idea? It currently has 604 trailing arms bolted to the original crossmember, it's about 7 years since I put them in but I vaguely remember an issue with the bolts.

Doush_504 - Thanks! The car was pretty rough when I bought it (nearly 8 years ago) and in that time it hasn't been garaged at all. It has spent the last 4 years in country SA where there is fierce sunshine that has totally destroyed any remaining paint. There's a little rust in it, but it's not going to stop me!

Ben - Thanks, I'd be very interested to know what you've got hidden away there! I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Yes, the 604 arms would have the narrower bolts I talked about, I had some spacers machined up when I fitted 604 arms to an early 504.
505 rear end is too wide, wider arms and also the wider hubs.
Graham

Graham - Thanks for your insight! It's nice to know where it came from. So it's Australian after all. Do you know why the late model ones seem to rust so much worse than the early ones like this?

Rambo - Ideally I'm after the one from the spider/crab/octopus style manifold, but in a pinch I could make do with the twin-plenum one. Just so long as there is no corrosion in it and the metering rod still moves freely.

last time i looked i'm sure i had an octopus out there so you may be in luck

last time i looked i'm sure i had an octopus out there so you may be in luck

You're a champion, let us know!

I paid very good money for one last week, and it turns out the bloody thing is rusted inside. I've stripped it down and reassembled it, but I couldn't get all the contamination out, and I just can't get the motor to run right. I've given up, another, unmolested distribution head will be much easier to work with.

I paid very good money for one last week, and it turns out the bloody thing is rusted inside. I've stripped it down and reassembled it, but I couldn't get all the contamination out, and I just can't get the motor to run right. I've given up, another, unmolested distribution head will be much easier to work with.

will do but it may no be untill the weekend that i'll have time to get out to have a look

remind me before hand as i have a very bad memory :eek:

will do but it may no be untill the weekend that i'll have time to get out to have a look

remind me before hand as i have a very bad memory :eek:

Yes please! :wink2:

Very nice project, I'l be watching this one carefully! I love the early 504s, your doing it up almost the same as I would too! I'd have forced induction though. :wink2:

She looks like she's had a herd life, still looks pretty sound though. Good luck with your project mate!

Thanks

Hayden

Forced induction is always an option down the track. But it's been done before. I'm still yet to see a hot naturally aspirated ZDJ motor showing us what it can actually do.

She's been well used, that's for sure. It's hard to find a body with no rust today anyway, and this one has surprisingly little, it's mostly in the doors, which I have good replacements for, the rear LH guard and the base of the RH 'B' pillar.

Right, the adventures of the weekend.....
On Friday I went to TransportSA and got a permit to drive it for 3 days... paid my money, that was the point of no return. It had to come back this weekend.

So saturday morning I left home at 6:30am and drove to my mate's place where the car has been stored for the last few years. I'd had one of his cars at my place because I was doing some work on it, so the plan was to return his to him and bring mine back.

When I arrived there, I found that after 6 years of storage in 4 different places, it had one flat tyre, no power steering fluid and it was missing the distributor cap, and leads. It had also run completely out of LPG, and with no fuel system the only option was to somehow get some gas into the tank.

So we tracked down the ignition system components from another wreck, and filled the power steering fluid. I found another 604 wheel with a decent tyre (this 504 has 604 studs, so standard 504/505 wheels won't fit) and fitted and inflated it. Installed the battery I had taken up with me.

I then set about getting some gas into the tank. There were a couple of other gas tanks lying around, and one of them had a bit of gas in it. Unfortunately though, after an hour or so of mixing and matching, I realised that we had no way to connect it to the car's gas line. So instead I made up a new hose from the outlet of the full tank to the fill valve of the car's tank, and syphoned some gas into the 504. Then it started!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to syphon enough gas to drive it any distance, and it was a 45km drive on dirt roads to the nearest LPG filling station. So, out came the A-Frame. Connected it up to the 504, and to my mate's ute. I removed the headlights, indicators and put a piece of mesh over the radiator to stop the stones damaging anything. We didn't have enough seats in the ute for everyone (I had taken my cousin up as extra manpower should anything go wrong), so I sat in the 504 while it was towed. Scariest experience I've had in a long time. It started raining, so the roads were just mud, and after a few hundred metres I couldn't see a thing out the front window. It's the wierdest feeling being in a car, moving, engine not running, unable to see a thing and the steering wheel driving itself.

Anyhow, we got to the service station, and the entire car was covered in mud, the same as you can see in the engine photos up above. And I mean completely!

So we filled it up with gas, and washed the essential areas - windscreens, mirrors, rego plates. I refitted the lights and removed the screening from the radiator. Started up beautifully, took it for a quick spin around the service station, all systems were go.

So we said goodbye to my mate, and headed south.

Then it started to rain.

We stopped at the next little town we came across, and bought a set of windscreen wipers blades for it, as the old ones were completely useless. With them fitted, we hit the road again and drove the remaining 250km home uneventfully, didn't miss a beat.

Used about half a tank of gas (30 litres) for the trip down, so 250km for $18. Still economical after all these years!

Scotty,
I noticed in your early pics that the 504 had 604 mags fitted.
In your latest post mention was made of not beeing able to fit 504 wheels.

Is this because the 504 is running 604 hubs [larger studs] ?

When I fitted the same type of 604 alloys to my 504 I took the easy way out and fitted suitable wheel nuts.
This went against the advice of others who reckoned I should have fitted the larger 604 studs.
My reply to this was... I only want to fit the wheels to the car, not the car to the wheels!!
I visualised that in the future I would have been in your predicament re the fitting of standard wheels.

Yes, the "A" bar towing method is weird. In the '60's I used this method to tow my Simca racer from Kalgoorlie to Perth, 365 miles in the old money. Initially we put a driver in the towed car but after we found it tracking behind quite well he jumped in the front car!
Getting close to the city he would resume his place in the back car.

Scotty,
I noticed in your early pics that the 504 had 604 mags fitted.
In your latest post mention was made of not beeing able to fit 504 wheels.

Is this because the 504 is running 604 hubs [larger studs] ?

When I fitted the same type of 604 alloys to my 504 I took the easy way out and fitted suitable wheel nuts.
This went against the advice of others who reckoned I should have fitted the larger 604 studs.
My reply to this was... I only want to fit the wheels to the car, not the car to the wheels!!
I visualised that in the future I would have been in your predicament re the fitting of standard wheels.

Yes, the "A" bar towing method is weird. In the '60's I used this method to tow my Simca racer from Kalgoorlie to Perth, 365 miles in the old money. Initially we put a driver in the towed car but after we found it tracking behind quite well he jumped in the front car!
Getting close to the city he would resume his place in the back car.

I used to tow on an A bar as well.

I vividly remember my mate towing my damaged 403 home from a Rally with his FJ Holden.

He ran out steam half way up "pretty Sally" ( a big long hill on the Hume Hwy) so I fired up the engine and gave him a push.

At 80 mph on the downgrade he was waving wildly at me!

The things a stupid youth does!

OK, day two and the engine and gearbox are out. I took some time underneath the body as well assessing how much rust repairing I have to do. Turns out that the body is pretty solid, a few dents to clean up on the underbody and about a 50 cent piece sized area of rust behind the front left hand guard.

A couple of photos of the shed at the moment. I'm currently going through an insurance claim after a storm brought down my garage, so the tiny old garage is having to take the load at the moment and it's a bit squeezy!

You can see in the background of one of the shots the new motor which will go in after paint.

Attachments

• IMG_9231.JPG
    IMG_9231.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_9233.JPG
    IMG_9233.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 961
  • IMG_9236.JPG
    IMG_9236.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 817
  • IMG_9239.JPG
    IMG_9239.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 12,662
  • IMG_9238.JPG
    IMG_9238.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 6,923
I have a brand new set of 505 15" alloys in my garage, and a set of used ones too.
It never occured to me that they might not fit my early 604 which currently has standard 604 steel wheels.
I do have the 16 special wheel nuts that you need to convert steel to alloy which are probably not easy things to find.

I've got something similar lined up for my 505 - will be interested to see how this goes.

Have you got a timeframe in mind?

I have a brand new set of 505 15" alloys in my garage, and a set of used ones too.
It never occured to me that they might not fit my early 604 which currently has standard 604 steel wheels.
I do have the 16 special wheel nuts that you need to convert steel to alloy which are probably not easy things to find.

I am pretty sure they will fit, but even if they don't all you need to do is open up the stud holes to 14 mm with a drill. As for the nuts, they are standard conical 14/150 and fairly easy to find.

Nice story Scott! I think you have plenty of experience being in a 504 while towed.

I'll be watvhing your topic with great interest. Nice to see you building a 504 for a change. What do you mean with those seat frames in the body?

Are they same than my 72 rally car had?

I'm beginng to respect good working conditions, like nice big garage and a car lift etc... Thank god I just got my car lift on my garage... I hope you can get your things rolling soon :)

See you again!

Al - It would be nice to have this on the road by christmas. Struggling to find a painter who isn't too busy though, I may end up buying a gazebo or party tent and doing it myself.

Erksa - I can't remember how the seats were held in on your '72. The rails were built-in to the chassis? Then it's the same. The tops of the seats look the same as the ones in your green TD 504, but they are Australian made from vinyl.

I've got a few additions to the wishlist!

- Backlit heater and ventilation control panel
- Late model windscreen wiper/washer switch with intermittent position, preferably with the plug and a bit of wiring. The delay unit, plug and wiring would be awesome as well!
- Chrome windscreen washer jets in good condition
- Late model interior rear view mirrow
- Sunvisors, prefer late model, good condition.

Ummm, more as it comes to mind!

504 trim

I am a trimmer getn started back into trimming after being badly burned by the state (can't say which one or they'll burn me at the stake) Ed dept.

I have a 504 dash which I can recover to to a good, if not truly original, standard. I could also do the same to the separate black molded sections - I may be able to find some around here. I'm going to SA at Xmas. Could bring 'em then.

I don't if that helps. let me know anyway.

Keith

This project reminds me of my father's 1977 504 GL I used back then in 1998-2004, which I lated converted to 505,i.e swaped the 504 mechanicals to 505 body. The 504 served me so well that even when the conversion was going on, I had to reserve some parts i removed from it before i got rid of the body. I could recall vividly many times the Car saved mylife, by preventing some accidents I would have had with it, if not for it good road handling. One of it was the brake, 4-wheel disc brakes. If not for that powerful brake, with the single pinion master cylinder, maybe I wouldnt have been alive today. I still wonder the difference between the 504 GL conventional 4-wheel disc brake and ABS brakes.

Apart from 505, I dont think there is any other car that handles so well on highway, the way it does. Highway is not just about how powerful the car engine is, but the car in question's Stamina & Efficiency while on high speed. I found that in 504.

I moved its mechanicals to 505 body, not because I was fed up with 504, but because I couldnt find another 504 GL body to replace the body that had rusted so badly. All I could see were 504 SR & GR, which had different designs and wouldnt match, since they used live differentials and had no drive shafts. So I decided to go for upgrade & 505 was the only option left for me. I really missed the 504 GL, which had the same body design and mechanicals with yours, 504 TI, I supposed, except the engine, XN1(Carbureted engine).

Demannu, I strongly beleive you will enjoy the car when the project is finally completed, because I enjoined mine. 504 was designed that way. Though, I dont know much about the ZDJL engine you intend to mount on the engine bay. I kind of dislike that engine only because it is belt driven camshaft engine. I hate any engine that belt drives it camshaft. Over here in Nigeria, I have heard basket case of Japanese engine failures as a result of Timing belt sliping or breaking causing serious damage to the valves of those engines. So, I assumed that would be the same with the ZDJL engines. Though, I might be wrong, but that was the main reason that made me to change my mind in paying for 505 GTI and paid for 505 V6(ZN3J) instead.

Anyway, I still have in our garage, the 504 instrument panel, the speedometer cable, the fusebox, the steering column,etc. I have no need for them anymore. Just that am yet to see a 504 enthusiast to freely give them to. Though, I gave out the front and rear bumpers, in good condition, to someone that needed them longtime ago. I wouldnt know if you would need the remaining parts left, though the distance might be a big problem in your own case.

Hope you complete the project before Christmas.

Ikenna.

Ikenna351:
Since you live in Nigeria, did you consider new 504 Peugeot from your factory back in 2005?

It would be surreal to own brand new 504 in 21th century!

Can you still get a new 504 somewhere in Africa? How do they differ from the originals except for the plastic bumpers and moldings? Do they have live rear axles or what?

I have tried to search some information of those but no luck. Can you help with that?

Thanks!

ps:And Scott, don't be jealous, I'll still read your posts! :D

Ikenna351:
Since you live in Nigeria, did you consider new 504 Peugeot from your factory back in 2005?

It would be surreal to own brand new 504 in 21th century!

Can you still get a new 504 somewhere in Africa? How do they differ from the originals except for the plastic bumpers and moldings? Do they have live rear axles or what?

I have tried to search some information of those but no luck. Can you help with that?

Thanks!

ps:And Scott, don't be jealous, I'll still read your posts! :D

@Erska.

504 production in Nigeria ended sometime in early 2000, while 505 ended in late 90s. I believe the 504 production here ended before the year 2005.

Before I left the Eastern part of the country in 2007, there was this car dealer there that had about 5 or 6 of brand new 504's. About 4 of them were staion wagons (Estate). I wouldnt know if he still have one since its been long. I believe they were the last produced models. I know someone close to the dealer I can call and inquire about it , if you want me to.

The last 504 models produced in Nigeria differed a lot from the original. The saloons had no drive shafts, instead, live rear-axle/differentials. They were lighter in weight. Wouldnt know the engine model, but they were all fuel carbureted engines, XN series I guess. Besides, Peugeot Plant never produced 504 with fuel injected engines, likewise 505. The ground clearance was higher than the original.

In Nigeria, especially in the Eastern part of the country where I come from, they prefer 504 to 505, because of it rugged design. It is generally believed that 504 body is more durable than 505 over there. They ply more on our road than 505. That was why its production continued, even after the end of 505 production in Nigeria, because of the continuous increase in demand for the car, even after the production had ended in other countries. I wouldnt really say they were been produced in Nigeria, rather were been assembled.

One good thing about 504 & 505 in Nigeria is that parts available is very high, both the used and new parts(aftermarket), both the inferior and the superior ones. Nigerians love 504 so much that they wouldnt let it go!

Ikenna.