My 404C resto begins!

Today I didn't do much for the car, but I did manage to take the steering shaft out of the column for a thorough cleaning and lubrication. Between the shaft and the column in the photo, you can see the upper rubber coated bronze bushing that provides location for the shaft. All parts are in great condition so after a coating of thick grease, it's all back together.

26735427308_f97104e6ef_b.jpg

39788250375_cdaf07fcf0_c.jpg

Carrosserie Peugeot plate is reattached now that I got my new copper rivets from China. Looks good, but I will be clearcoating the plate itself to give it a smoother finish.

Mike,

I love the attention to detail. If you're going to spend that much time and effort, you may as well do it right.... Great work!

Cheers,

Dan

The third batch of cadmium plating has been done, and about half of the stainless steel trim polished:

40739403421_d8f5d88870_b.jpg

I snapped the window frame SS trim back on both doors, and provisionally put the beltline trim on as well. The rear quarter window trims will be next.

26868170498_446e2fbb99_b.jpg

Well I have slowed down a bit but a short while ago I mounted the Pininfarina door jamb wedges with the new clear plastic gaskets I got from Peugeot in France:

40922187622_a2d9d5b2d5_b.jpg

Tomorrow a few more parts go in for cadmium plating: hood latch, a few bolts etc and the clips that hold the rear quarter windows in. The front fender stainless steel strips will also be polished by the same shop.

Had to drill 6 holes in the new front guards because Peugeot did not pre-drill them for the trim bolts or hood buffers. Coated holes with ZINGA (99,9% Zn) and a bit of body colour.

26272264967_b09053e2ab_b.jpg

27270519888_716a557c2e_b.jpg

41144203561_b812d49c8f_b.jpg

40618861134_2d2e117192_b.jpg

26460820967_5cc81795ec_b.jpg

Today I installed the rubber flaps (which I had to remake) for the front inner guards, which are intended to keep the mud out of the back of the front guards.

I also derusted three of the rear brake lines and painted them. I may remake one or all of them, but I wanted to inspect them carefully first.

In just over two weeks, we will be in Japan for our son's wedding so work will stop until mid-May.

Last edited:
Great job again Mike

Good luck with the wedding. Japanese weddings are interesting, we had one last year. Have you folded your 1000 origami cranes yet?

Fascinating place. Love it.

Andrew

No not yet, we will see. It's a civil wedding but there will be a big family dinner and of course kimono shots in a park.....

27532090878_4f217e9781_b.jpg

Latest batch of plating, including engine hood latch, support mount for SEV wiper motor, three of the four decent used front suspension bolts (spare, but with better plating than the new Peugeot-supplied ones I have installed), and of course the 10 rear side window trim clips.

Son got married last year in Oz

Tradition is that family fold 1000 origami cranes for luck. It is taken quite seriously in many families. Bride, mum, grandmum and all rellies folded furiously and mailed to Oz

Week before wedding. No cranes. Shit, what to do

Spent week folding furiously, whole family included, also Aunties primary school class. Task completed.

Mine were the crippled looking ones flying in wonky circles at the back of the flock. It is no easy task, at least with my visuo-spatial skills..

Week after wedding the mail arrived and we were knee deep in bloody cranes.

Wedding ( and return match in Japan ) were fun. You will love Japan, especially if you are a foodie.

Andrew

No not yet, we will see. It's a civil wedding but there will be a big family dinner and of course kimono shots in a park.....

Japan was great and I lost 6 or 7 pounds there! Guess I'm not a "Japan foodie", LOL! Wonderful country though, we took trains all over and also rented two cars for a total of four days. Wedding was fabulous and we all had a great time!

Today I finally resumed work on the 404C after about two months!

The passenger door side window winder cable went in beautifully, and after winding the handle back and forth several times, the cable settled and the winder did about 8.5 complete revolutions. OK, good!

So then the driver's door, with the winder given to me by Nick Angiuli from Florida went in. It seems that it was sort of wound improperly on the drum because I could only get 5 turns in. So I removed it again and wound it back and forth with the cable tensioned over a round metal part of my vise.

Eventually I got 8.5 turns and then carefully held the cables near the drum while reinstalling. Mounted in the car, it had 8.5 turns to the handle! Woo-hoo!

The next stage is to get new tracking for the window glass and then to attach the window carriers to the cables. That should be a bit of work, but I am not dreading it like I was today's job.

27855362207_992cbbc97d_c.jpg

27855372117_d63d8eb890_c.jpg

42724003941_f04734c804_c.jpg

Last edited:
Quite a tricky job, well done ,had a similar problem with the cable , having replaced it ,had wound it in the wrong direction.!!!
took a while for the penny to drop ,all good now.
you are on the home run now attaching the glass support , getting the glass to run straight takes a bit of trial and terror!!

Aha, I missed your last post! Great news about the wedding. I know others who have been to Japan and love the place.

9960736736_2e4818bbf8_c.jpg

The photo above is of a Jaeger sports instrument panel for the 404C that was sold as an accessory in the 1960s. I have wanted one for a long time, but they are rarely for sale and when they are, the cost is very high, 1000+ Euros.

So I have been looking to make one myself, using Canadian versions of these same gauges from the same era (or just afterwards, late 1960s). In this case I have put together five of the six necessary gauges, as shown below:

42963904102_ae934907af_c.jpg

The speedometer with trip odometer is from a Renault 8 Gordini, Canadian version, as are the battery and temperature *F gauges. The rev counter is from a Renault 8S from Canada, which has a redline at 6200
RPM which is about correct for a 404 Injection. The fuel gauge is also from the 8S, but identical to that fitted to the Gordini.

Now all I need is an oil pressure gauge to match, and them to make a plate to receive all the gauges.

However, when the 404C is first assembled I will be using the original instruments. This one will be added a few years later.

Last edited:
No way! Jaeger only!

Besides, an ammeter is not going to work with my car, which has a SEV Motorola alternator. Hence the battery gauge.

hi mike, those r8 jaeger gauges look the same as a set I got from a citroen gs club for Renault 1.4 engine conversion into dauphine I did about 20 years ago when I had my workshop,maybe other model citroens run a jaeger oil pressure gauge.as a side topic shmbo is suggesting a Canada trip east and west coast may/june next year to which I commented that would be nice as there are a lot of Peugeot and Renault cars to be seen over there,funny side ways look from boss lady but I will work on that........jim