My 1994 605SV

Sans_sagesse

Fellow Frogger
I have held off posting about this car on AF given the misery I had buying it but then I thought don't be so selfish. I love seeing others' such time capsules, so here is mine.
I've had the 605 for a week now. It is a very fresh example, having just clocked over 22,000km this morning. I've done 64km in a week. I'd better stop wearing it out.
This is the car that once belonged to John Regan, of Regan Peugeot. I would love to see any images of it in the showroom there, if anyone has any to share.
It is not perfect, but that is comparing it to a car that has just rolled off the factory floor. This would have to be one of the best, most original 605s in the world, although I doubt that really means much to anyone else!
The car had an engine misfire when I got it. Long story short, the probably factory fitted Eyquem spark plugs were worn out. New plugs installed, it drives well.
I am learning about how a car ages even if not used. I have never owned a car so old that is so new. But time takes its toll.
I don't know how old the coolant is, so that is the next thing to flush and replace. Having just read the thread about 504 coolants, I'm more confused than ever about what is the best concoction to fill the cooling system with to aviod corrosion.
I'm hoping to have it all properly cleaned up (it appears to have been driven though mud once, would you believe) and have the paint corrected (mainly to just revive the bonnet) and take it to Silverwater next month.
I just hope I am a good gardian for this time-warp car and that I stop being so nervous about driving it. It feels like it would be a crime if anything happened to it. I drive more defensively than ever in it and won't take it anywhere I can't keep an eye on it, which I have mixed feelings about.

Attachments

• 605 front.JPG
    605 front.JPG
    874.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 605 odo.JPG
    605 odo.JPG
    744.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 605 side.JPG
    605 side.JPG
    932.3 KB · Views: 126
What an amazing find. Beautiful car!

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing. I for one am delighted to hear of another 605 on the road - even if only for special occasions.

Pugrambo has one, and BigRR still misses his. Would be great to hear what Addo has done/is doing with his.

I hope you will soon be able to take it for a decent drive - it's on those longer drives (100km+) on country roads that I really appreciate how well designed the 605 is for that environment - quiet, smooth and relaxed. I used to complain about the indirect steering, until someone pointed out that you don't want twitchy steering when cruising at 200 km/h!

Re. servicing - don't neglect the auto trans and the power steering. There may well be a modern fluid that is a perfectly satisfactory replacement for Dex II (original spec for both), but I just went to my local Mobil depot and bought a 20 litre drum of ATF220, allowing fluid changes to be frequent and cheap!

Last edited:
I just dug out my '1998 Black & White Data Book'. In which it has annual Australian registration figures. Not always accurate, but for the 605 it has:
1994: 18, 1995: 22, 1996: 8.
So 48 total, which corresponds with what I've already read.

There used to be a recommendation for replacing Dexron 11 with Castrol Transmax M on here awhile back as a substitute for the dreaded Dexron 111 in the equally dreaded AL 4 auto transmision.

Don't bring the AL4 into this! It and the equally dreaded 4HP20 (which 'rambo & I have in our XMs) use LT71141 NOT Dex III. I don't believe any self-respecting French car would use Dex III.

No desire to restart the fluid wars in our sagacious friend's thread - just pointing out an option that has worked well for me - tranny and P/S have done 210,000 km without any problems.

Nulon Premium Longlife 50:50 with demineralised water - for better or worse! Before that Castrol Green.

Thanks for asking - you made me check my records and it's due for changing - it's supposedly good for 5 years or 350,000 km. Only done 50,000 km since changing, but the 5 years is up!

Not looking forward to doing that job - I have learned that you need to remove block drain plugs to do the job properly, and I don't know how to do that without getting wet!

Last edited: