Molex connector replacement

dimistyle

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Anyone replaced one of these Molex (has AMP part number) connectors

A bit too much current drawn from blower fan/ AC unit me thinks.

No AC working at the moment but fan stopped as well so removed blower fan cleaned brushes which still have some life in them. Lubed the shift but still no go untill i found this damage.

Temp fix with some additional pressure on the female pins.

Have sourced a brand new Molex connector and spare pins but if i knew how to remove the pins I could reuse the pre terminated pins and just repair the 2x blue wires.

And yes the blower fan resistor unit is a genuine Valeo unit and new connector leads have been working well for the past 12 months.

Anyone know what type of extraction tool required?

Attachments

• 20220329_110343.jpg
    20220329_110343.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 20220329_110404.jpg
    20220329_110404.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 109
Not sure if this will help but have a look on the RS components site. If they sell the connector it is possible they'll have the pin extraction tool as well.

Same might apply for other shops where you can buy the connector.

That said, if it is only the two thick wires (I can't tell in your picture and I can not see any blue wires apart from the one in the background paired with the yellow one; the two thick wires appear grey to me), I would simply take those out of the connector and run them separately through another connector if possible. Just to avoid having to go through the same exercise in the future.

20220408_190334.jpg
I

Step one work out how to open and unclipped Molex connectors from BSI and BSM to work out how to replace the burnt out connector.

Success either though a factory tool would have been better.

Phone Sim slot opener bent to create 2 flat pins to push over each female pin to unclipped from connector as the paper clip trick didn't work.

I should be able to install the original pins into this and just repair the 2 blue/grey burnt pins with the spare heavier gauge lengths I've removed.