missing

Dave

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
My Bx has an intermittant promblem :confused:

Sometimes after i give my engine a bit of a rev in 1st or 2nd it misses for a while, and sometimes stalls. While i am accelerating there seems to be no problem but once changed into the next gear or just disengaging the clutch the engine misses and trys to stall. Some times it revs thru to 6600rpm in 1st gear and then through 2nd and has no problems, but other times it just dies afterwards.
Does anyone know what the problem could be???
The car is a bx19GT with weber carbie.
Thanks for your help,
Dave

<small>[ 23 July 2002, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Dave ]</small>

i think the needle valve in the carbie is sticking. Fuel pump is doing funny funny things. Will pull the carbie apart and have a look on friday.

Dave,

Sounds like you've got a common "BX with Carby" type fault. Shit in the system!!
Whip the top off the carby, blow it out, take out the jets and blow them out also, then before you put the car back into circulation, fit a fuel filter; not a cheap jack 'Ryco plastic throwaway before you get to the end of the street variety,' but a proper good sized metal one. The one I fitted to my 16 Trs was one that was for a Commodore V6 or 8 (wait 'till I wash my mouth out :p :p and was about $30. Worth every cent as we never had any problems after.
Another thing to consider also is the type of fuel you use; PULP was all my Trs ever ran properly on due to the variance in quality of the LRP and wouldn't run at all on ULP.
Hope this is some help.

Alan S

yeh thanks Alan :)
i have cleaned the carbie out recently and have been running Pulp in it. I dont think its got crap in it this time, i think the needle valve is sticking because sometimes when i go to turn it on the fuel pump goes crazy and pumps for ages and then the car is flooded. So i think the needle valve is sticking and making everything to rich...so yeh i shall look on friday, thanks for you help :)

Dave

Dave,

Mine used to do the same thing - flood occasionally but I found that the float level setting was so critical as to be a real pain at times. I think it's supposed to be 7mm + or - 2mm which is almost impossible to get right by any other means than trial & error. I used to set it at its lowest possible setting and take for a test run & keep raising until the motor would just peak out. This meant that when cold, the choke (manual) was a necessity but it ran perfect once up to temp & gave magic fuel consumption.
I have been told that one of the things that can cause some aggro is the fuel tank & lines being made of a plastic type material, they start to drop off small bits as they age. If this stuff gets into the carby, it can get stuck in the needle & seat & cause the symptoms you mention.
The statement about the fuel pump has got me though; mine had a mechanical pump, does yours have an electric one?

Alan S

it has an aftermarket electric fuel pump as my engine is actually a fuel injection engine but with the carby manifold and carby, but no way to hook on the manual pump :)
thanks for your help i'll investigate it soon!!

Dave