Might have found a car!!!

nchandler

Fellow Frogger
Righto. After years of deliberation, I am inches, and I mean inches from buying a froggie. Its a S1 gunmetal grey 205GTi. It isn't cheap, but there's good reason. Its the dealer's son's car (known the old man for 20 years), and has spent its whole life in Tasmania. The main reason it is relatively expensive is the amount of work done on it:

It has
- Respray certain panels, plus general tidy up of paint
- New reconditioned head
- New pistons & liners
- Reco'd gbox
- New clutch

Also has a really nice Momo s/wheel and g/knob, about $800 worth of stereo. Plus a unichip, and decent exhaust. Oh, and it has tint glass and clear indicators, making it look a little more modern.

Its as tight as a drum, with a very smooth idle, no smoke at all, really feels a lot more powerful than any other 205 i've driven. And the best part, it doesn't rattle at all. This is on B-grade tassie roads, at serious pace, and you can't hear anything non-mechanical.

Its 1988 model, 200,000kms, gunmetal grey, S1 (sliding dials), a/c, tilt glass sunroof, usual red interior.

pug205use.jpg

Pic doesn't do it a whole lotta justice, but it gives you the idea.

Basically we're looking at trading mine in, and forking out the extra, simply to save the time and effort of selling privately. I can't be screwed with the hassles of advertising it, getting stuffed around by people etc. So I might have to fork out a couple of grand to get this one, but it is looking very promising.

Regards,
Nick

Good stuff, nchandler! :D

Seriously thinking about trading the S16 in for a GTi180... of course the girlfriend doesn't know this. :blush: :whip:

Rich

Haha, females don't need to know anything - just take her shopping on the day you've arranged the trade in to happen, and tell her you have to stop by somewhere on the way home. She won't know what hit her until much later - too wrapped up in the days acquisitions in clothing and shoes.

Nick

Noice one moite!

I like it alot, don't worry about spending a bit more than you have to on a 205gti as i'd have no issue with paying a bit more for a car look after alot better.

As for the females, i told one girl of mine that i was getting one, she thought it looked like a toyota :confused: . I can assure you though once you take a lady for a spin in that she'd think you are a f1 driver & you know how f1 drivers get the ladies ;) .

nchandler said:
Haha, females don't need to know anything - just take her shopping on the day you've arranged the trade in to happen, and tell her you have to stop by somewhere on the way home. She won't know what hit her until much later - too wrapped up in the days acquisitions in clothing and shoes.

Nick

just don't let her buy too much as it won't fit in the 206 :D:D

Nick,

If the sale falls through, or you decide you want a slightly bigger car, I still have a very nice S1 Mi16 for sale.....

:cheers:

Ben

Ben,

Your car is a lovely example, but I think I have to undertake my "trial by fire", and own a S1 205GTi for a while. The Mi16 would certainly to some extent be thinking with my head, but underneath, I now realise that if I bought such a car, I'd be wanting a 205 the whole time! Also, this one is a tremendously safe bet in terms of reliability, and has the whole kit and kaboodle. Fingers crossed for this one, it really looks like it could be the one! :D :D

Nick

Nick!! Finally u found a nice car.... how much it this "relatively expensive" pug?

Luca, I'm sure you'd be pleased to know that I opted away from the other 205 they have there - a 93 S3 GTi with the P/S and green interior! That was far too pricey for me though.

Its around $9k. Which is reasonably pricey for a S1, but in the condition this one is in, with the work its had done, I think its fair.

Nick

Nice man.... I'd pay 9k for it if it's in good cond. All u have 2 do then is get some wheels and lower it, then do the brake pads and after that do some cold air and head work inishing up with a hot cam and then I'll race you around the boulevard in kew!!!

The only wheels I'd stick on it would be a set of S3 15" speedlines.

I do believe that 406 15" steelies fit as well? Might not look fantastic but wouldn't look out of place with the stock hubcaps, and would up the handling a tad. Probably will also get some bendix or greenstuff pads, and maybe some lower springs.

Worst thing about it is the audio gear - all sony xplod, which I really, really hate. Its so ugly. Doesn't look too out of place in that interior though!

Nick

Man I feel for you guys in Australia.

That's about twice what you'd pay in New Zealand!

Once my 504 Ti is all sorted, I plan to get a 205 GTI as well, for the best of both worlds, classic RWD Peugeot and classic FWD Peugeot hot hatch.

At current NZ prices you can get a late' 80s 205 GTI for $2500-5000. My friend bought a 1990 205 CTI with better suspension for $5000. All round good condition.

But then I guess the English have it the best, you could be in a mint 1.9 GTI for about $3000AUS or less.

I know this the reality in Australia but it just frightens me to think you guys are paying such crazy amounts for 15 year old+ cars.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Louis
.....it just frightens me to think you guys are paying such crazy amounts for 15 year old+ cars.

Oh, I don't...

But then again, I usually buy 25+ year old cars. But at nothing like that kind of money, of course. I think that's more than my whole fleet cost!

Now nchandler, getting serious here for a moment...

Good job, looks nice... just don't bend it!

nchandler said:
Worst thing about it is the audio gear - all sony xplod, which I really, really hate. Its so ugly. Doesn't look too out of place in that interior though!

Nick

They have gots to go! terrible speakers they are, they are called explodes for a reason ;) .

9k is a good price for one in top nick.

Nick,

Was that pic taken out the front of Exclusive Cars ? looks like it ?

If so is that the same 205 he has had there for a while, if so it's a nice car, I looked at one that looks the same there a month or 2 back..

Good luck with it...pitty you wont be there in Febuary, a heap of us Peugeot Car Club members are coming up for Festavale!

Cheers and Good luck!

Ben

hi nick,

its taken you forever to come this far! at least, as you say, inches from buying a froggie.

the 205 seems like a well cared for example.

two and a bit years ago, my s1 88 was advertised for $9800 ono. i ended paying much less and closer to the red book valuation for it. back then 205s were hard to come by and it seems people were charging a premium for them. it was a reasonable example that had a cracked dash, worn front seats, and a few scratches and golf ball like dents thrown in for humour, i suppose. the engine and underbody were a1.

as good as an example this 205 is, i think you could haggle a better price specially if youve known the owner for more than 20 years.

what ever your decision, errr just buy it and thurry it up, man! :D

cheers:cheers:

The reason the price wont be hugely negotiable is that his son still owns the car, and whatever it sells for goes straight to him, however I might be able to get $500 to $1000 off. It looks like we've negotiated a really good trade in deal as well, for my car.

As for replacing speakers - don't think I'd worry. Mind you, I'd probably take to them with the spray gun loaded with matt black paint. None of this red stuff!

Ben, this one has been there for a while, along with another 205, but its a 1993 S3 GTi.

I personally believe $9k is a very fair price, quite literally, this one is 100% better than any other example I have looked at or drove. It feels much quicker than all the others I've driven, it has no rattles at 140kph on B grade roads, no cracked plastics, and doesn't skip a beat mechanically.

Nick

nchandler said:
this one is 100% better than any other example I have looked at or drove. It feels much quicker than all the others I've driven, it has no rattles at 140kph on B grade roads, no cracked plastics, and doesn't skip a beat mechanically. Nick
Being a dealers sons car you'd HOPE it'd been at least serviced regularly !!! Then again some mechanics cars are the worse !!!

- XTC206 -

nice car....hope it works out for u.....but make sure that u r happy with the deal....
as u can see many of us would like u to get it....but u ve got to be sensible to put aside peer pressure and ultimately make sure u get a deal u r happy with....
i haggled my dealer for months before i bought my s16.....i think the only reason he gave up eventually was because he was sick of me.....and he definitely didn t want any test drives with him in the car (i only took 1test drive in it)....personally though...i think the 9000 tag is FAIR if the car is in good nick....
i mean these days u could pick one up for much less.....but u could end up spending 2-3000 on one before u could blink.....so if the car is what u say it is....
i d say go for it...

cheers
dino