Mi16 playing up

NZ_Mi16

Fellow Frogger
Hi Everyone

I jumped in the Mi16 today to go to work (same as another day) and on the way to work i noticed a funny noise when I acclerated, it sounded like the wheels rubbing the guards (its not) and also, the engine seems louder than usual. When i got to work I took a look under the hood, but didnt see anything out of place but it was really warm considering how long i had been driving (about 5 mins)

I have no idea whats wrong, but im too poor to go to a garae and get it done :(

NZ_Mi16 said:
Hi Everyone

I jumped in the Mi16 today to go to work (same as another day) and on the way to work i noticed a funny noise when I acclerated, it sounded like the wheels rubbing the guards (its not) and also, the engine seems louder than usual. When i got to work I took a look under the hood, but didnt see anything out of place but it was really warm considering how long i had been driving (about 5 mins)

is your engine actually louder, or are you just getting more vibration through the car?? if so, might be an engine mount (that might explain the rubbing too, if ur engines flopping about). try putting a jack inder the sump and jacking it up whilst watching the engine, if it moves more than about 1-2 inches before the car itself moves then you need a new mount.

Easy to fix tho, cost me $50 for my right-hand mount, took about half an hour to change.

If thats what it is, and you decide to go ahead with it, you can get the right pages from the Haynes Manual in pdf form on the peugeot405mi16 yahoo group.

dunno bout the extra heat tho.

NZ_Mi16 said:
Hi Everyone

Hi NZ_Mi16,

R/H/S engine mount sounds the likely culprit, they make a wicked din when broken, but if it checks out OK then perhaps one of the exhaust heatsheilds from the engine pipe may have moved/fallen out.

Regards-Jeff

The bearings in a pump could be the culprit. I once had a water pump fry its bearings, which would cause extra strain on the engine. I guess the same could happen to any of the components, like the power steering or altenator. It would also explain the sound.

Could also a be a self destrcuting Catalytic convertor, these can make some pretty good noises when on the way out...

well, i dont think its the RH engine mount ,im pretty sure its coming from wither the RH wheel, or right in front of the drivers seat.

I havnt had a chance to jack it up yet, but it does sound like something is rubbing against something when accelerating

matt205 said:
Could also a be a self destrcuting Catalytic convertor, these can make some pretty good noises when on the way out...

I never had one :D ,its a UK import

its not that inner guard plastic cover thingy (that allows access to timing belt via wheel arch) loose and rubbing on drive belt/pulley? I would also be concerned about timing belt tensioner and water pump bearings - if these seize its game over for the belt, and hence the engine....

after all the worry, my exhaust had broken the rubber mount under the car, so it was rubbing ,making the noise.

a quick fix later and all i need to do is get the bit of rubber :)

NZ_Mi16 said:
after all the worry, my exhaust had broken the rubber mount under the car, so it was rubbing ,making the noise.

a quick fix later and all i need to do is get the bit of rubber :)

oh no!

not that special rubber mount.. thats near impossible to find. im pretty sure they normally raetail for over $1000, and thats without the special bolt inclkuded..

your in big trouble there!!!!

mi16_weapon said:
oh no!

not that special rubber mount.. thats near impossible to find. im pretty sure they normally raetail for over $1000, and thats without the special bolt inclkuded..

your in big trouble there!!!!

uhhhh, I dunno if we're talking about the same mount, but I got a rubber mount for my exhaust changed yesterday, funnily enough. It cost $4.19.