Mi16 Motor is coming out!

TimMi16

Fellow Frogger
Ok a few questions.

1. Is there any real trick to getting the motor out of the 2ltr Mi16. dosnt look to hard.

2. When talking about modding the series 1 motor is there much of a difference in what needs to be done for the series 2 engine???

3. Not real happy happy with the low down throttle response so i was thinking about lightening the flywheel while its all out adn any suggestions for a new clutch(car will be used in track days and the such so i was thinking a heavy duty one)

4. Is it worth getting the head skimmed adn how much is safe.

Sorry for all the questions!

Cheers Tim

My Series one has a lightened Flywheel and Heavy Duty Clutch, Don't know what it was like beforehand, cause my mate had it done to them before i bought it.. I like the way it responds, but as we know the Mi16 doesn't really kick on until about 4000-4500 RPM's.
So anything that will make it kick a little earlier will be great..

I just want better respose just off idle, was really getting quiet annoying and made it quite hard to get off the line with any great speed without a big launch.

Cant wait to get it back on the road, driving my old mazda is really giving me the shits....its so slow

I always find side stepping the clutch at 4 grand helps...

TimMi16 said:
Ok a few questions.

1. Is there any real trick to getting the motor out of the 2ltr Mi16. dosnt look to hard.

2. When talking about modding the series 1 motor is there much of a difference in what needs to be done for the series 2 engine???

3. Not real happy happy with the low down throttle response so i was thinking about lightening the flywheel while its all out adn any suggestions for a new clutch(car will be used in track days and the such so i was thinking a heavy duty one)

4. Is it worth getting the head skimmed adn how much is safe.

Sorry for all the questions!

Cheers Tim

The cast iron series 2 is very similar to the alloy series 1, but the bore and stroke are different. The head can't be skimmed dramatically. Given that you've already got 10.4:1, I'm not sure you'd want to. Best value for money is a 3 angle seat job (from RAMS, Windsor), and maybe a small reground inlet cam (more on that later). The flywheel on an Mi16 (S1 and S2) is already very light, although some more metal can be removed. The clutch is already a heavy duty item. It's hard to beat the Peugeot item for most applications.

Well the car is all but back together now.

Pretty much left it standard(money issues) but im heading down to wakefield next monday so it should be interesting to see how it goes.