MI16 Mods

buzzedmi16

Fellow Frogger
looks as though I may have slipped a timing belt, therefore it is a good possibility that i may need to get a lil engine work done, like im showing about 50psi compression in some cylinders, which tells me the engine is pretty muchily fubar, so should i bother with modding the engine? or just leave it as a simple stock standard engine?? and how much for a decent set up and what components would i need?

buzzedmi16:
looks as though I may have slipped a timing belt, therefore it is a good possibility that i may need to get a lil engine work done, like im showing about 50psi compression in some cylinders, which tells me the engine is pretty muchily fubar, so should i bother with modding the engine? or just leave it as a simple stock standard engine?? and how much for a decent set up and what components would i need?
ANDREAS!!!!!!!!!! were are you, and mate how much money do you want to spend?..

What?

Like Chris said it depends how much you want to spend, have you got the 1.9 or 2.0???

If I were to do it over i'd probably just fit a supercharger and live without the aircon.

You can do minor mods that will cost a bit, make the car sound louder and probably go slower.

Need to know what your budget is.

If you have to rebuild the head i'd probably go larger valves, bigger cams and possibly porting...but you might need ecu mods.

hmm i dont know exactly how much i will have but it could be as much as 4k.. but then it could be half that as well

ohhyeah...
series 1 1.9, exhaust work has already been done to it, b4 i bought a full 2.5 inch with a mean sounding 8 into 1 extraction system, i dont know what mods have been done to the head, I was thinking if i have thrown a timing belt, then wouldnt the wwhole head be fubar?

Hi,

Don't know how much a supercharger goes for with fitting down here, but have a look at <a href="http://www.ecosse-peugeot.co.uk" target="_blank">www.ecosse-peugeot.co.uk</a> at the engine mods they do. Supercharging or turbocharging even gti6's! (look under 205 engine mods - 405 mods cover engine replacements more than mods - if you haven't already drooled over this site) MMm. a_drink

If prices were anywhere similar your upper budget limit looks about right; don't know how much work you intend to do to the engine though. And before you go "porting and polishing" the head have a look at <a href="http://www.mototuneusa.com/thanx.htm" target="_blank">Mototune</a> Once you cut through all the American crap there are some interesting ideas about "high velocity porting" there with (so it seems) proven results. It mainly says that making the intake ports smaller (to a set ratio) increases velocity rather than flow rate, increasing engine performance. This was in a thread a while back if you have already read it.

Good luck anyway,

Chris.

buzzedmi16:
ohhyeah...
series 1 1.9, exhaust work has already been done to it, b4 i bought a full 2.5 inch with a mean sounding 8 into 1 extraction system, i dont know what mods have been done to the head, I was thinking if i have thrown a timing belt, then wouldnt the wwhole head be fubar?
if you have broken the belt then i would say there would be a couple of valves sitting at some strange angles in there but the head should be fairly safe

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. If you're still getting 50psi per cylinder, and they're reasonably even, it sounds like everything is still in tact. If the belt has slipped a tooth or two, the inlet timing will be retarded dramatically, resulting in the loss of effective compression. The compression stroke doesn't start until the inlet valve closes.

It's relatively cheap and easy to get a few more kW from an Aussie S1 Mi16, but if you want more, it's fairly expensive. Remember this engine is already a heavy breather and well tuned.

If you advance the inlet cam 3 deg, you'll pick up a lot of midrange torque. You've already done the exhaust, so that's about it for low bucks improvements.

Internal mods on an Mi16 cost big dollars and I wouldn't go jumping in to big valves as per the Puma site. It's actually a lot more tricky than it sounds to put the bigger inlets in, and for street use I wouldn't bother. Cams cost $1200+ just to buy. Compression to make them work costs some more. Then you'll need an aftermarket ECU and bigger injectors, and so the list goes on.

If you're after low bucks kW, just advance the cam and clean up the ports (if the head has to come off).

If you've got money to spend, contact Owen Wuillemin in Sydney.

Another way to look at;

to go from 145hp to 160hp costs $200
to go from 160hp to 180hp costs $3000 approx.

thanks for that peter. it kinda does put it into perspective.. cheers!

Andreas:
If I were to do it over i'd probably just fit a supercharger and live without the aircon.
Too right. How would you lower the compression though?

Cal.

You boys and your superchargers!!

How does it go real men get blown?

Neil :D mallet

I agree with Neil.

What's with the supercharger?

Go NA with some big revs. Nothing like the sound of big revs in a throttle bodied NA car. head_ban

Darren.

PS. And for some extra fun use some happy gas. dance

Peter, I couldn't agree more with your quote:
- to go from 145hp to 160hp costs $200
- to go from 160hp to 180hp costs $3000 approx

To extrapololate this (from personal experience :) ) Let me add:

- to go from 180hp to 200+hp costs MORE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE

As much as we don't want to, I think it's also important with performance mods to think about the increased cost when something breaks

Cheers
Steve

<small>[ 16 June 2003, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: WRX2PUG ]</small>

The cost of big horsepower NA Mi16 engines is exactly why you supercharge them. I am positive it can be done for about $1000-1500.

Cal.

WRX2PUG:
Peter, I couldn't agree more with your quote:
- to go from 145hp to 160hp costs $200
- to go from 160hp to 180hp costs $3000 approx

To extrapololate this (from personal experience :) ) Let me add:

- to go from 180hp to 200+hp costs MORE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE
Try getting the same power with a 1.6 8V block and then add 100hp of nitrous. cry cry cry

Darren

I have to agree Cal. The best $/hp Mi16 engine I know is a turbo down at Kiama. 11psi, 7.8:1, Motec and 196hp at the wheels.

Tell us more re this turbo Mi16 Peter :)

I've been looking into doing mine and have been researching getting exhaust manifolds eg from 405-T16 (no hope), there were also some guys in Europe that were building manifolds but then stopped etc.

I'd be really interested to get more info on this Mi16 turbo conversion.. and why is this Mi16 fan not on this board ??

Cheers
Steve