Mi16 engine temp

PugPower

Fellow Frogger
Hi everyone :)

I have a few simple question that i need to have answered :)

1) How often does your engines oil temp reach 90 C ?? When it does, how warm is it outside ?

2) How long does it take for the oil temp to go to 90 C ??

Well, i suspect my oit temp sensor to be faulty cause here is whats wrong.

I start the car and dive, 20-25 min later it is around 70 C. If it does reach 90C it will go back down to 70C, if i drive 1 km at say 120 km/h

The water temp on the other hand gets to 85-90 C resonably fast :)

The temp outdoors is 15 - 17 C

Help ??

PugPower:
Hi everyone :)
Hello

1) How often does your engines oil temp reach 90 C ?? When it does, how warm is it outside ?
2) How long does it take for the oil temp to go to 90 C ??
Well in Sydney at the moment, it seems to be a little bit hotter than a Swedish summer! :)

My car ussually is around 70 C for quite a while and takes quite a while before it would get to 90 C, which is rarely, and only when I am stuck in traffic for a long time.

But, same as you, it quickly goes down to 70C.

<strong>
The water temp on the other hand gets to 85-90 C resonably fast :)
Same here, though in traffic it really gets to 95C too quickly, I am not looking forward to the hot summer days (in terms of the car stuck in traffic)

That can`t be good for the engine then ?? Oil temp should reach 90 C as fast as possible to reduce engine wear :(

Besides that way if i want to be on the safe side i should never rev it high and this engine is suppose to be reved :(

hehe

<small>[ 07 July 2002, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: PugPower ]</small>

Welcome aboard Pug Warrior!! Good to see another 93 Mi16 S2 on the road. I will keep an eye out. What colour???? Mine is the Alambrah Red (3 shades of Burgandy)

Now Pug Power,

In relation to Engine (Water) Temp;
At the moment, the Mi16 seems to be keen sitting around 75 degrees on a leisuerly city run. Once you hit traffic, it will go to 90-95 before the helicopter blades (at least thats what they sound like) kick in. I have had the water temp drop to below 70 on a v. cold night on the Wakehurst Parkway. That was at 70kmh.

On the freeway (110kmh), it will stay at 79 and not move. Not even depending if it is Winter or Summer.

Oil temp is another thing;
Around the city, it takes a lot more time to warm up. If you give the car an easy time, 40 degrees (one of the dial marks) will be the norm. If you give it a good couple of full throttle runs ( whip ), it will easily jump up to over 90 (another mark on the dial). Freeway running stays at exactly 90. For example, if I drop to 90kmh (Mt White zone on the F3), it will drop quickly back to around 70.

The most I have had is around 120 degrees for the oil temp thanks to some wonderful Sydney traffic. This though would be largely due to the hot air coming from the radiator onto the front of the sump where the temp pickup is located. As soon as I started to move, it dropped back to 90.

So 90 I would say is the usual temp for oil around town once the car has been running for 15mins or so!!

This is using 5W-50 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. I am sure the thicker the oil, the longer it would take to heat & cool (I think - fully guessed on viscosity basis)

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Stu G.

Mi16 Man:
Welcome aboard Pug Warrior!! Good to see another 93 Mi16 S2 on the road. I will keep an eye out. What colour???? Mine is the Alambrah Red (3 shades of Burgandy)
Thanks Stu, the colour/code of my car looking at the Service records is..... BLUE. LOL very descriptive. A picture is equal to a thousand words (and also because i dont know the name of the colour) so if you have a look at James' car in the members gallery, that is exactly the shade of blue.

I would like to take a couple of snapshots and add to the gallery, hopefully soon when i can borrow a mates digital camera.

I have been trying to look out for other 405 Pugs, not just an Mi16, but the areas i've been frequenting lately (Croydon Park - Parramatta) must be rare Pug territory, ive only seen 1 in the last 3 weeks!!!!
:confused:

Cheers

<small>[ 09 July 2002, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Pug Warrior ]</small>