Melb. Met. Board of Works film re town plan c1954

Hi.

Nostalgic viewing.

16:47 "We have neglected our responsibilities, with the result that we have lost control"

I think the vested interests and lobster lunches have won.

Planners are now to scared to plan as it is all much more political.

Cheers.

aaaah, yes, remember the "Green Belt", probably more to do with providing serviced land at reasonable cost than 'planning'. Although, the western zone currently getting lots of attention between Werribee & Rockbank and northwards wasn't much good for anything, even goats would have a hard time on most of it. At least they've provided a rail line before the houses got there, pity the what will become major local roads don't receive the same priority treatment.

Out in the sticks, processes are afoot to provide more housing in small towns. The planning for this is being done largely behind closed doors with precious little input from existing 'locals' - the criteria is the same as private development, get as much as you can whilst spending as little as possible on services and amenities. Transport will end up being a major headache....

Experience in Ballarat has shown the same thinking is applied to the govt housing stocks being provided, cheap 'n nasty.

Bob

I used to visit folk in the new suburb of Glen Waverley and liked the woods (as the Green Belt forest was called) and the apple orchards. Dirt roads, no footpaths but a trainline.

There also was the Cumberland County Plan, adopted in 1951, which would have encircled the now inner part of Sydney with a wide green belt joining the national parks at the north and south. The county is the area encircled by the Nepean and Hawkesbury Rivers, with bush beyond.

It also provided for permanent public green space in inner areas where bushland was privately owned. The County Open Space near me has still not been resumed, and the cost is now astronomical.

It was greedily eroded away a bit at a time by governments to make Sydney sprawl as it now does. Chock-a-blocks are now covering Wilton, 80 km from town. The new government is going to over-ride any who oppose the developers - the excuse is to allow for increased immigration.

Hi.

Nostalgic viewing.

16:47 "We have neglected our responsibilities, with the result that we have lost control"

I think the vested interests and lobster lunches have won.

Planners are now to scared to plan as it is all much more political.

Cheers.
in 1966 it was reported the MMBW had major roads taken from them in the transport study, because of inability to take expansion seriously and the Hamer govt starved funding for the 1969 planning scheme which extended Melb from 10 to 20miles from CBD,

You are correct, big vested interests won in most cases . At least green wedges and conservation zones saved some flood areas.
If it had not been for Neil Douglas and Max Grub conservation zones would not have happened ( thank you to you both)