Meguiars Scratch X

pugsy

Fellow Frogger
I was just wondering whether any one has used the Scratch X cleaner from meguiars. It supposed to clean the paint of any old polishes and remove all light surface swirls. My car has dark paint and these swirls show up real easy. If not, are there any other products out there, I did a search in the forum for car polish and found that 3m is reccomened by a number of people.

My 405 is china blue so I know what you mean with the swirls.

I bought Meguiars "swirl remover #9" to correct my paint work but it's proving to be an ongoing job although it hasn't required re-application for a few months now.

You can REALLY see the imperfections using a bright spotty in a darkened garage.

I have done a bit of experimentation with how I wash the car & I have the following procedure in place for our dark paint work.

Bird poo - get it off fast, especially in Summer. The previous owner did not & there are 2 permanently damaged areas on our car .

Don't use brushes (with the hose attachment types), commercial car washes, or sponges to wash your car. I've found only lambs wool type with a sponge inside not to cause swirls.

When washing, do it in the shade & use pressure from the hose to remove larger particles of dirt first otherwise this dirt attaches itself to the wool mit & you get swirls.
Do the wheels/ tyres & mudflaps with different sponge. Keep the wool mit for paint only.

Car wash. I used to use the non-detergent type from Meguiars, but am now using the car wash that Amway (yep Amway) have & find it as good if not better than Meguiars (& cheaper). These non-detergent types don't burn the polish off & keep the car looking mirror for about 3 months or so.

I always chamois it dry. As you would know, if you don't, those water drops are unsightly when dried off. Only extra vigorous rubbing next time you wash your car will remove them which you want to avoid.

Lighter coloured cars will still have this problem but you can't see it!
I use the above procedure for washing on my Berlingo even though it's white.

Zymol is great stuff! German polish! it is stocked at placec like Autobarn,although you might want to give them a ring before you go as it is hard to get ahold of! also Sparkles car cleaning have a distributorship for it, could be worth seeing them too.

It is quite expensive but i asure you it works wonders! especially on Dark cars and Metalic paints!

Julian

Thanks guys,
Car Toys in Adelaide is an official Zymol dealer so i might have a look, apparently the full wash and polish kit is close to $200 - mmm... OOh I like the sound of a wool mit, the neighbours will give me even stranger looks now. I wash my car at least twice a week, I think they think i am slightly mad. I have been using a Meguiars wet-look polish, but that is fairly mild and just makes it all shiny and doesn't seem to remove any imperfections.