Megane II Sport Saloon and Tourer Unveiled

Craig

Fellow Frogger
Finally Renault have released the sedan and wagon versions of the Megane II at the Barcelona Motorshow. These replace the Classic and Estate of Megane I. They look nice.. of course! (No, Im not biased!, hehe). Rear of the Megane II wagon looks somewhat like the rear of the Laguna II rear end. The sedan looks much nicer than the Classic ever did.

Pics are at:
<a href="http://www.bradney.info/bradneyinfo/gallery/MeganeIISportTourerAndSaloon" target="_blank">http://www.bradney.info/bradneyinfo/gallery/MeganeIISportTourerAndSaloon</a>

<small>[ 24 April 2003, 01:44 AM: Message edited by: Craig ]</small>

Damn, that sedan looks pretty darn spesh (but I'm not biased either...). Put a set of nice 16" wheels and a subtle body kit (as will be available soon I would imagine) and YUM!

I have a feeling Renault could be on a real winner with the Megane II range. They are individualistic but still relatively conventional.
Does anyone know how they are selling in europe??

BTW Those probably are 16 inch wheels, the hatch as them as standard.

Louis Schweitzer, when announcing the new cars, said they had orders for over 200,000 new Megane Berlines and Coupes, a larger number then they had expected and can fulfill with current capacity. More production lines are coming online to cope and to handle the new models just released. Apparently the factories can easily switch the lines between all similar models pretty quickly to suit the incoming demand. I'm guessing thats between Berline, Coupe, Saloon and Tourer as the latter 2 models share 80% of the former's parts. The CC is quite a bit different. The Scenic II 5 seater (and to-be-released 7 seater) will probably share lines and will easily switch. Having been back in Oz for the past two weeks now when I drive around here I see a Megane II every drive I go on whereas before it was just now and then. I think that a whole lot of orders have been fulfilled very quickly in this area. The Tourer has 17s, but I'm not sure whether the Saloon has 16s and 17s as an option or starts with 17s.

I didnt think they were here yet - nice to see euro car companies geeting the new stuff to us quickly instead of a couple years late... Any idea what they are worth here?

Wow. I am not a fan of the hatch but those sedans and wagons are something else entirely. :)

They are almost Audi A4-like (which in my opinion is a very good thing), but made with the styling cues you'd expect from a modern Renault.

The only possible thing I can nitpick is that the rear light cluster of the sedan is reminding me just a little too much of a VY Commodore than I'd want. It's a good thing the way they continue onto the rear quarter makes it a bit Merc S-class :p

Are there any details on things like interior & drivetrain specifications available yet?

Hmm, just noticed, I can't say i exactly like the wheel design either (ultra fat + ultra thin spokes.) Aren't they the similar to what's on the Laguna?

Not bad, although I don't like the sedan's C pillar that much.

I'd imagine the interiors and powertrains would be similar to the other variants - perhaps the wagon will have some more practical features.

The megane looks very nice.The wagon is very much laguna like in the design.
It looks like a really nice model actually. Good to see they have orders for them already also.
Lets hope we see some models in australia too.
The megane has come a long way from the R19 hasnt it...? :D

is it just me, or does the sedan share a lot of styling cues with the current Opel Astra sedan (not such a bad thing)? the C pillar, headlights..