Low-Rise Car Hoists

My last word on low rise hoists:

Don't work under them at a crouch. If you have to then FFS wear a hard hat.

Don't ask me how I know.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I doubt the hoist here will go as high as yours.... due to roof height .... if I ever get it working.

Have you dismantled a car on hte hoist yet .... in a way that leaves you with an un-usable hoist when you really need to use it :rolleyes: I have a really usefull set of car ramps here ..... well they would be useful is some numpty hadn't dismantled a traction on them months and months and months ago :clown:

Last edited:
Shane, I had the XJ6 on. Full on brake failure. Rubber hoses & calipers are blocked. I sheared a bleeder valve on a rear caliper trying to remedy a complete shitfest so it looks like the IRS cage has to come out.

The bugger was so low, when it touched the roof we could walk under it at a crouch. Big mistake! While moving about assessing the job I put my head up too soon, hit a tow eyelet & got 6 stitches at the ER for my trouble. And the irony is when we lowered it & used the chair on castors that I made, the work was FAR easier! Seriously. I was semi-reclined so no craning your head back to look up. My arms reached wherever I had to just the same as I was standing up.

My advice? If you can get 1200mm of clearance, get your hoist, make a chair like mine & you're set.

Dropping the XJ6 IRS cage is NOT a pleasant job if you have to use car stands etc. but with the hoist, once I release the exhaust, brake lines, prop shaft & handbrake cables, I lower the car onto a dolly to support the IRS cage, remove the mounting bolts & then lift the car and just roll out the dolly with the IRS unit.

Gee's ... well if you're going to do something, no point doing it by halves :eek:

I love this old Jag. looks like someone has fitted a proper gearbox to it .... the aged interior is fabulous ...

Gee's ... well if you're going to do something, no point doing it by halves :eek:

I love this old Jag. looks like someone has fitted a proper gearbox to it .... the aged interior is fabulous ...

The link come up "technical error". That's not because it's a Jag is it?😉

I'll add my experiences as I go for posterity.

Positioning a vehicle on 2 post hoists requires very careful consideration of where the centre of gravity is.

My installing safety features made me complacent because there was no way it would slew or topple.

However, there is another consideration. e.g. if the front arms are carrying most of the weight (engine & transmission), the carriers inside the towers will be forced to one side & create excess friction. This friction WILL be overcome by the power of hydraulics but on the descent you are relying on the weight of the vehicle to send it down. It's possible that the weight may not overcome it resulting in one or both carriers getting stuck in the up position.

This happened to me with the XJ6. It went up & down OK to start but when I removed the IRS (swine of a job!) that made the balance situation much worse & one tower refused to come down. Bleeding the oil from the offending ram obviously did not help.

Very unpleasant!

So! Estimate where the C of G is & place it in the middle of the hoist. Also keep the inside of the towers where the carriers slide well greased.

Interesting, I would have thought there would be guides that would stop un-even forces affecting the operation. After changing the cambelt and eolys fluid on the 407.... I'm sold, a hoist is the best thing since sliced bread. Why would you ever need the car 6foot up in the air? I can't see me ever needing to lift a car higher than my very low roofed current shed.

Shane , I concur. My floor level recliner chair on castors is far better than standing & craning my neck back

The XJ6 was stuck about a metre high on one side.

I had made some very tall car stands to prop up the rear of the Pug 404 ute when removing/replacing the diff- there's no places down low to prop it up! They were based on lengths of~20mm all-threads so I was able to gradually screw it down.

Once the arms were re-set to place the C of G amidships it went up & down great. But it's a long bugger so there's a hell of an overhang that rocks up & down flexing the arms so I put the stands under the rearmost part of the body to keep it steady

**Interesting, I would have thought there would be guides that would stop un-even forces affecting the operation**

The carriers are square section about 250mm by about the same in depth. If there is enough leverage applied then the carrier will bear on the inside of the tower like a brake lining.

When I checked the inside of the offending tower, I found not only a roughish surface there were quite a few metal dags (welding spatter??) as well. The Chinese have way to go re quality control!

Rotary wire brushing, a coarse wet'n'dry sponge & generous spraying with lithium grease was in order

I just got one of these...It is really good...solid, well built and very stable and the bonus is that the two frames can be hung up on my garage wall out of the way....got it on sale at about $2K delivered to Perth.

I just got one of these...It is really good...solid, well built and very stable and the bonus is that the two frames can be hung up on my garage wall out of the way....got it on sale at about $2K delivered to Perth.

How do you find it for adjust ability to reach the lift points on different cars ? I've seen videos of similar units lifting enormous weights in testing.

How do you find it for adjust ability to reach the lift points on different cars ? I've seen videos of similar units lifting enormous weights in testing.
I will take your query on notice as I've only just installed it and tested it only on my GF's Audi S3. I have checked it against my Delta Integrale and Clio RS and they will be fine. Yet to check on the A110 and 310, but they can be deployed east-west as well...