Low KW EV conversion

The payload isn't really an issue, even if it were de-rated to 200kg it would suit my needs. I carry bulky light weight material fairly regularly and buy the odd small to medium motorcycle more often than I should. The heaviest bikes I buy are around the 150/160kg mark.

Interestingly the van is still made in India as the Maruti Omni with an 800cc version of the 970cc engine in mine (F8A vs F10A). The van has a 400kg payload, and it is available as an 8 seat people mover as well. The average Indian adult weighs 60kg so I guess by the time you put six in the back and add the seat and seatbelt weights you're back at that 400kg mark. You can also spec it up with LPG and AC. Should be pretty nippy with 8 passengers, the AC on and running on LPG.🐌🐌
Haha, in Philippines I have been one of 12 passengers in a Suzuki APV.
Good luck with your project!

I posted this recap of an early US EV on another thread. Although the voltage control is by contactors, in many other ways it is similar to my proposal. Small car, light weight, basic spec, 48V, low KW/HP motor. Interestingly this uses the same system as I was pondering in regards to powering the other 12V electrical items. Simply running them off one of the 12V batteries in the drive pack. I'd noted when I was charging my trike's batteries individually with a 12V charger and hadn't noticed a dislodged wire (so this battery didn't charge) that once this wire was reinstated this battery's voltage very quickly equalised to the same as the ones that had charged. So although the lights etc would be only connected to one battery, I'm presuming all of the batteries would be drawn upon?
The crux of the this will be the original 12V battery (that I had calculated into the "excess weight" pile) will be definately not be required.

In the video attached the Citicar is the 48V 3.5HP version. It weighs 600kg and has a top speed of around 60kph. Are these old school motors rated differently to the modern BLDC ones? I'm only anticipating similar performance from 8KW of BLDC motors as this single 2.7KW DC motor is providing.🤷‍♂️

Hmmmm,got me thinking of a couple of old Lansing tram tugs we had at my last place of employment.72volts and mostly all there from what I recall.must check to see if they are still there,would be plenty of grunt for my little Mazda….jim

Hmmmm,got me thinking of a couple of old Lansing tram tugs we had at my last place of employment.72volts and mostly all there from what I recall.must check to see if they are still there,would be plenty of grunt for my little Mazda….jim

Mmm that's why I was asking about the comparability between old industrial motor power ratings and the EBay et al BLDC motors ratings?
Operable ride on pallet jacks can be picked up pretty cheap 2nd hand, they are rated in the 3 to 4KW range and generally use 24V to 48V batteries.
I used to operate these many years ago and they were quicker and faster than the electric forklifts even with a 2t payload on board.

The 72V should have enough grunt in your car. I found a Citicar blog where an owner went from 48V to 64V, batteries were 8 x 8V instead of 4 x 12V.
He raved about the difference in acceleration and max speed with no other changes.

Range is starting to look good in these ...

Best 10 Electric Cars
Mmm, there's no doubt the range will keep improving as well.
I think the range figures, (the same as an ICE manufacturer's fuel consumption figures) should be taken with a grain of salt though.🤷‍♂️
Hyundai is claiming a nearly 400km range from the base model. Not sure what version Iconiq that guy just drove around Australia in? But I seem to recall he was concerned about making one 270km stretch in particular.🤔
Shame they don't quote the 80% range, as that is all you can fast charge to if you are on a mission?
A few of the surgeons at work bought Tesla S' early on in the piece and I know the range was a disappointment to them, nowhere close to the factory's claim.

Came across this video. Some pretty simple solutions. The drive connection using the old clutch hub, motor sprocket and bits of metal rod is clever. Might not hold a Tesla Moore's torque, but adequate for this application.
Subsequent motor positioning is child's play.
Not that I'd be using bits of old angle iron and reo bar, but hey it works.🤷‍♂️

Came across this video. Some pretty simple solutions. The drive connection using the old clutch hub, motor sprocket and bits of metal rod is clever. Might not hold a Tesla Moore's torque, but adequate for this application.
Subsequent motor positioning is child's play.
Not that I'd be using bits of old angle iron and reo bar, but hey it works.🤷‍♂️

Only in the Philippines could you get away with using reo bar etc for mounting. Love the ingenuity tho.

Only in the Philippines could you get away with using reo bar etc for mounting. Love the ingenuity tho.
Did you like how he made the vacuum pump for the brake booster out of an old power steering pump?

Reactions: COL
Here's another video from the same guy (I think).
Actually not a bad concept. Couple of comments about being out of balance without pistons and rods, but I don't think so, you're removing he same weight from both sides of the crank.🤷‍♂️ Also comments about crank lubrication, but just plug the big end journals and top end supply (and I'd lighten the oil pressure spring to reduce drag) and keep the standard sump and oil pump. The oil would last forever without combustion contamination. You'd still have the stock pulleys for AC etc. Not sure about the timing belt, but then a 100hp Harley's rear drive belt isn't much bigger. You'd want to use a cam sprocket on the engine crank as well for a 1 to 1 ratio and more teeth to transmit the power. You could probably machine several cms off the block's deck height too without doing any harm. Obviously a reasonable HP motor would be needed but you would also retain the functionality of the clutch and transmission.
Mmm food for thought.

Philippines is the mother country of innovation! The people there are outright ingenious, maybe partially fueled by being multilingual (and impoverished!)
Twenty years ago I was amazed to see hybrid delivery trikes, small capacity motorcycles with sidecars, retro fitted with small petrol generators and driven by electric motors.
Screenshot_20220828-151812~2.jpg

I still haven't canned the EV conversion idea and I came across this little beauty in my travels.👍👍

FB_IMG_1666768504335.jpg

Yeah I like the idea of mounting them radially around the drive shaft. Throw in a couple of tensioners. Sensible bike train should be plenty good enough :D

Plus radial engines are cool, therefor electric radial engines must be cooler.

If radially mounted, maybe cogs aren’t silly? Flat plate as the housings with thrust bearings to keep the oil in? On goes the gasket, win?