Lotsa damaged fuego's

renaulturbo

Tadpole
Hi all,

I bought another fuego (for spares) on wednesday off a wrecker in Deer park. It's smashed pretty hard (bonnet, right gaurd, bar, grille and a lot more things no good) but i only payed $150 for it so its well worth it. And i managed to buy it at that price delivered to my door step. Not bad considering i live on the other side of town approve

Anyways, i know that wreckers always want to get rid of fuego's as they buy cars in bulk and then get rid of oddballs (eg. fuego's :D ). He confirmed that it was one of the cars in such a deal and told me that it was the last one of four that they had for sale eek! , all the rest sold.

Did anyone on here buy any of these 4 fuego's? i doubt anyone would want to repair a fuego (the one i bought has about 4-$5000 damage), so i guess they must all have gone to current fuego owners like me or wreckers.

Time to get the tools out spanner !!!

Cheers all

There was a Fuego at the Deer Park Wrecker about a 2 years or so ago that would have been an easy repair. It had done 115000 kms, and was in excellent conditon throughout. The only damage was the bonnet, and front radiator (and supports). It had slid under the back of a truck and hadn't damaged the bumper or anything. I was going to pick it up when some bloke from Geelong beat me to it....any one on here?? It would have come up very nicely....I hope it wasnt turned into parts...

Renaulturbo

Thats one more Fuego saved for spares and one less on the road making all of ours eventually a loved and rare breed!!

About 18 months ago I was speaking to a wheeler dealer who used to buy Fuegos and do them up, but no more, as Fuegos had reached the stage that they, could not get the price they wanted for the parts they had to put into them for a roadworthy. Usually, engine seals,water pumps,exhaust, brakes, new lenses,wiper blades,tyres etc even though they were using a lot of good secondhand spares on hand,therefore they were ceasing refurbishing Fuegos on a cost/profit basis.

The better examples will still command higher prices and in my view increase in value, but you will need the backup of spare body parts on hand to keep them in top condition. While Ken Bailey at Caravelle and European Autos continue to carry a good range of inexpensive spares, (and should be supported, this may change when the Fuego family of car owners shrinks by "natural attrition" of their wonderful cars (I am not biased of course!!!)

Ken.

<small>[ 26 April 2003, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Kenfuego ]</small>

Although i havent got the car delivered, im wondering how to take the windscreen off the donor fuego without smashing it...is it possible? Or will i have to cut the A-pillar?

Oh and by the way, i need a spare windscreen rubber so i didnt really want to cut that either..

If you want I can scan and e-mail you the workshop manual procedure for removing the windscreen.

Regards,
Richard

Renaulturbo

I guess that you can remove a windscreen from one car and
put it in another if you are careful and have patience.

However after trying this myself at pick a part and finding
that even with infinite patience its not an easy job and the
one windscreen I had must have had a fine crack or chip near
one corner and it spread just as I was removing the last of the
glass from the rubber. :mad:

Back to square one I rang around the different windscreen
replacement operators and got prices ranging from $240 to
$395!! The best was Novus (Angelo) at 1 Bell Street Preston who
charged $165 for laminated windscreen fully installed. 9480 4677
A few hours later I picked the car up with a perfect windscreen! and
rego. label transferred from the broken screen.

Painless to the extent It was hardly worth the trouble of doing
it yourself. The other thing is, that your spare parts car is open to the
weather unless you strip out everything at once or you have dry storage.

Your call of course, and the experience gained is worthwhile. :D

Ken.

Yeah the story is that when i bought my car in 1997, it had a sandblasted windscreen. So i needed a new one for RWC. I payed $120 for it and my dad (panel beater & spray painter) installed it for me (with my help!).

Unfortunately my help ended up being detrimental in the long run; my dad told me to trim the dried sealant off with a blade. As i was young (and stupid blush ), i accidentally cut the paint in places around the rubber which has ultimately caused a few spots of superficial rust dead . I want to address the problem as soon as possible...

Cheers

If the rubber is good, one shouldnt need sealant I thought. My Fuegos didnt have any - I just made sure I cleaned and Armour All the rubber (and rust converted a couple of spots under the rubber)prior to the new screen going in - much to the annoyance of the windscreen bloke who I made wait for me to do this, he would have been happy to put it back in rust and dirt and all :rolleyes: )

The windscreen seal is probably a draining type and should not be sealed unless it is deteriorated and has cracks.If the "drains" get blocked with dirt just lift up the seal with a piece of flat plastic and wash the dirt out. Some seals have a little wedge of rubber to keep the seal drain open. If after cleaning everything up and it still leaks then seal it with "goop".
I don't know what the advantage of a draining seal is, but there you go, the frogs love being different.
Viva la difference!