lots of people on tonight...

heh heh .. all hell is going to break loose here when that PSA-Toyota joint venture starts producing cars :p

Cressida eh? The one with the twincam 7M series engine I hope! I think they share drivelines with the Supra ?

Jason -- you just have to educate a little more. A mate of mine owns a Cressida (though one with the SOHC 5M engine), and he started with all the French car jokes when I bought my Pug. But .. soon after seeing (and being driven in) my 306, he wants one too now! :D

argh whats this logies crap. I want my F1, channel nine!! :mad:

anyway to make this post vaguely useful, I spotted a Renault Sport Clio while I was on the way to the supermarket for last minute F1 snacks ... the Xenon lights they have look very impressive indeed!

Anyone know what the Clios are like? (didn't a mate of someone here just get one, or something?) They certainly sound like a barrel of fun.

Just a thought as to why a sudden rush of visitors, but I posted a response to Stuartb's problem which he had also placed on a very busy overseas board. As it related directly to Australia (where to buy parts) I referred him straight back to aussiefrogs where I had previously posted an answer.
May just be coincidence but as this O/s board can sometimes get as many postings in one day as we get in a fortnight, there's a chance a few came over for a look as that board was particularly quiet last night and being Sunday probably nothing better to do.

Alan S

Rek,

I've test driven a Series 2 Clio sport,

erm, okay let's see....

Everything you hear about the way they go is true, they go like stink.

The engine is peaky and loves to be revved hard, but was surprisingly torquey/punchy down low....no match for my 205gti between say 2000 and 3500rpm but alot closer than many NA 4cyl cars I have driven, the Clio's top end just goes off, no comparison there :D

no complaints about gearchange, pedals etc nothing worth noting, cept they work well, without obstruction or wierd placement.

Should be noted, after the test drive the engine idled oddly/unevenly....and even ,to my ears, seemed to miss.....i was assured this was normal....jury is out, be interesting to see these engines at 100,000km+

As for the car itself?
From a handling perspective I found it a lil light, soft and less "secure" than my 205...though that's probably subjective and you really need more time to get used to a car like this than a test drive....the hydraulically assisted (Thanks simon :rolleyes: ) steering felt over-assisted and dead to me.

There was nothing "wrong" with the way it handled and rode, those were niggling thoughts :) .

The car feels infinitely better screwed together than my 205 (a low km 205 I might add) and didn't rattle, sqweak or "crash" through bumps on the road.

I didn't think the interior is anything amazing, though the quality of plastics on the dash etc, to me, seem to be much better than the hard scratchy stuff you find in some other french cars eg 206, Xsara. (why couldn't the 206gti's interior be made with the same materials as this?)

The seats are quite nice but you have to wonder how long the suede like material they use will last before it starts looking doggy.

All in all,
I was a bit dissapointed.

The car went really, really hard, but wasn't the same almost religious experience I felt when first aquainted with the 205, it lacks an edge of some sort.....probably just me wink .

In the end I was left wishing for a 206gti with a clio sport's engine, build quality and pedal placement.

<small>[ 29 April 2002, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: DTwo ]</small>
________
Harmed by paxil

Last edited:
The RS Clio doesn't have the electric power steering of the lesser Clio's in the range. Just the normal hydraulic version.

DTwo:
Rek,

As for the car itself?
From a handling perspective I found it a lil light, soft and less "secure" than my 205...though that's probably subjective and you really need more time to get used to a car like this than a test drive....the electrically assisted steering felt over-assisted and dead to me.

My mate (Donkey where are you) bought his a month or so ago. He LOVES it. Has done about 2000km on it now and the engine is starting to free up a bit now.

When I drove it I couldn't believe how hard it pulled from down low. Didn't feel as peaky as our GTi6.

Steering and handling I agree is a bit weird at first. It almost feels taily ??? Weird for a fwd I know, but just how it feels. Definately some getting used to there.

Overall, for the money, wouldn't buy anything else. :D