locknstitch crack repairs

56 Fregate

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Not that I have a need for this yet but I stumbled across this repair method for cracked metal blocks etc. I do have a couple of vintage engines that will be on my tinkering programme soon and I am educating myself about repair methods beforehand. Has anyone had any experience with this repair method or is it a new thing. It looks like a lot of work but a crack is a crack is a crack and if they can repair with this method it might be worth considering.

1654988957262.png
1654988993368.png

Hi :) That has been around as long as I have :D I have never seen it done but believe it works OK. Also used for marine and industrial castings too.
Jaahn

They have been around for quite a while. Here is an add in a March 1957 copy of Practical Motorist & Motor Cycle (Australia's new money saving monthly). Must be doing something right :cool: however not sure about the other stuff in the second add :eek:
Jaahn
20220612_170012resize.jpg

Well there you go. I knew they used brass pins in the old days but
i'd never seen this particular product. I also have seen where they terminate the ends of cracks with a metal dowel. If they use it on a ships engine as can be seen in the promo material it must be effective. Clever baskets.

One never stops learning..

I asked the local engineering firm about repairing the cracked head on my 1926 Rover using this method, his advice was "find another cylinder head".🤷‍♂️ He didn't do these repairs himself, he shipped them to a company down south (if there was no other option for it).
He described the long term success rate as "variable".

I could imagine he doesn't want to get geared up to do the work himself which would be a cost. Then he has to school one of his staff to do the work. The 'get a new head' comment is okay if there any spares laying about, but old stuff is getting thin on the ground because people like me keep melting stuff down, bastards :whip:

Not too hard to do, depending on the severity of the crack or damage to be refurbished.
Bought @ auction & repaired a fairly new Series 2A 6 cylinder landrover in 1969. The engine block crankcase had a hole caused by a thrown a rod.
The engine crank was repaired & engine rebuilt. Vehicle only had very low miles & looked like new.
Shaped a piece to fill the hole, tightly.
Then I stitched, repaired & painted.
Didn't leak oil & I made a tidy profit on that one.
In those days stitch kits were sold & tradesmen often did repairs like this themselves.
If not available in OZ now, will be available in US with full instructions.

Well there you go. I knew they used brass pins in the old days but
i'd never seen this particular product. I also have seen where they terminate the ends of cracks with a metal dowel. If they use it on a ships engine as can be seen in the promo material it must be effective. Clever baskets.

One never stops learning..
If you don’t terminate the crack with a drilled hole at and just ahead of leading edge it will continue to extend even after welding, hence the dowel

Andrew

Not too hard to do, depending on the severity of the crack or damage to be refurbished.
Bought @ auction & repaired a fairly new Series 2A 6 cylinder landrover in 1969. The engine block crankcase had a hole caused by a thrown a rod.
The engine crank was repaired & engine rebuilt. Vehicle only had very low miles & looked like new.
Shaped a piece to fill the hole, tightly.
Then I stitched, repaired & painted.
Didn't leak oil & I made a tidy profit on that one.
In those days stitch kits were sold & tradesmen often did repairs like this themselves.
If not available in OZ now, will be available in US with full instructions.
The Rover was a combustion chamber crack, lot of stress there. I've known guys patch blocks with Devcon or similar with good results.🤷‍♂️

I could imagine he doesn't want to get geared up to do the work himself which would be a cost. Then he has to school one of his staff to do the work. The 'get a new head' comment is okay if there any spares laying about, but old stuff is getting thin on the ground because people like me keep melting stuff down, bastards :whip:
Funny story. I found a 15 year old article online about a guy in NSW with a 1925 9/20 Rover. One of the car's photos was in his decrepit old shed. In the background was a pile of parts, I made out a complete engine as well as a cylinder head in the photo. The article mentioned his name as well as the small town in which he lived. Long story short I tracked him down, he packed the head in a little wooden toolbox and sent it to me for $150 including freight. Best part was it passed the engineer's inspection with flying colours, just needed a light cut of the valves and seats.👍

Yep you need a keen eye, a nose like a bloodhound and as much front as the encyclopedia salesman of old to hunt up what you need sometimes, believe me I know. Well done on the newish head.

Hi :)
Regarding repairing cracks in castings. :oops: It has been my experience that bronze welding(brazing) is a much over looked old method. Now obviously the details of the job and the scale of it have a great bearing on things so generalisation is hard to say.

But electric welding of cast iron has been problematical in my experience mostly because of the difficulty of getting a person who can do it properly, prepare it and di it slowly. Preheating and post controlled cooling is vital. . Using mig is not on as the wire is not available. Although I have seen bronze wire used for galvanised product welding. The only thing that might work ok is electric using soft stainless rods after proper opening out the crack to the bottom etc. :cool: Actually stainless rods are the answer to a lot of difficult welding of odd ferrous materials and also to others.

But my preferred method for a lot of jobs in the past, including cracks and exhausts incl making tubular 'extractors', has been bronze gas welding ! Just old fashioned I guess, but it is slow, manually controlled, you can see what is going on and it can be multi layered to build up thickness. OH and did i forget to say bloody hot work !` o_O Of course the grinding out the crack to the bottom and ends, and preparation of the surfaces etc is vital, preheat, sand bed and/or fire blanket for cooling control etc is just the same as any good welding job. Use hi-test rods and flux. I might have to say my eyesight is not so good these days for welding though.

Good luck with any repairs you might need to do on an old engine. :LOL:
Jaahn
PS I have some number of packets of electric stainless rods for stick welding i salvaged from being thrown out. Free to anyone who wants them. Heavy. Ask if interested. Some other normal ones too I think up in the shed roof. Would be all good after an hour in the oven :cautious:

Last edited:
If you have a look on Youtube you'll see an old bloke in India who lays the cracked block on the ground and builds a fire around it to heat it up and keep it hot while he gas welds it up with the help of an assistant. It looks a bit rough and ready but I reckon it would work. There's nothin they can't repair in India, they have serious skill and the ability to use it.

Hi :)
Regarding repairing cracks in castings. :oops: It has been my experience that bronze welding(brazing) is a much over looked old method. Now obviously the details of the job and the scale of it have a great bearing on things so generalisation is hard to say.

But electric welding of cast iron has been problematical in my experience mostly because of the difficulty of getting a person who can do it properly, prepare it and di it slowly. Preheating and post controlled cooling is vital. . Using mig is not on as the wire is not available. Although I have seen bronze wire used for galvanised product welding. The only thing that might work ok is electric using soft stainless rods after proper opening out the crack to the bottom etc. :cool: Actually stainless rods are the answer to a lot of difficult welding of odd ferrous materials and also to others.

But my preferred method for a lot of jobs in the past, including cracks and exhausts incl making tubular 'extractors', has been bronze gas welding !
A mate of mine is fortunate enough to have had an general engineer for a father and a blacksmith for a grandfather. His business is a combination of the two, but there is nothing he can't repair.
My 1924 Douglas's frame is basically turn of the (20th) century bicycle technology, iron castings with steel tubes brazed in.
When I got the frame it was bent, twisted and had a large badly repaired crack in the main casting behind the engine. He spot welded to his welding table and got stuck into the cracked area with a grinder, carved a f#cking great big valley into it (I was like 😲) and began brazing. Once he'd done that he got a giant set square and began heating here and there with me swinging on a strategically positioned length of pipe. Couple of quick diagonal measurements and job done.
The bike tracks beautifully, and has done plenty of miles since, with no signs of the crack reappearing.
He only charged $100 for the job, but I still wish I had skills like that.😔

Not that I have a need for this yet but I stumbled across this repair method for cracked metal blocks etc. I do have a couple of vintage engines that will be on my tinkering programme soon and I am educating myself about repair methods beforehand. Has anyone had any experience with this repair method or is it a new thing. It looks like a lot of work but a crack is a crack is a crack and if they can repair with this method it might be worth considering.

View attachment 205834 View attachment 205835
Hi Graham,
Over 50 years ago, I had REPCO do a 'metal stitching' repair for me on a significantly modified Ford 105E head. The head was badly cracked across the head between the centre bolt holes. The repair was successful and lasted for the many years.

Thanks Phil, I find this type of repair to be very clever and it looks like it has longevity too. Thanks for the comment.

If you have a look on Youtube you'll see an old bloke in India who lays the cracked block on the ground and builds a fire around it to heat it up and keep it hot while he gas welds it up with the help of an assistant. It looks a bit rough and ready but I reckon it would work. There's nothin they can't repair in India, they have serious skill and the ability to use it.
Successful cast iron welding requires preheat to around 600°C.
Preheating and post controlled cooling is vital.

So it may look rough and ready but it quite likely meets the neccessary requirements for success listed by @jaahn

I remember some years ago I was visiting Ajanta caves in Maharashtra. THe way down was a steepish hill.

Half way down on the other side was a lorry stopped by the road. Driver had a tarp spread out in front with engine innards ( crankshaft, rods , pistons and all ) spread out neatly and was clearly doing full rebuild by the side of the road

Clever and determined

Andrew