Location of Fuel Pump Relay - XM?

UFO

Citroën Tragic
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
The XM is being a shite at present and cutting out or almost cutting out from time to time - which makes driving it that little bit more exciting:eek:.

Anyway, I had a loan of a Citroen ELIT analyser tonight from a friend, and the ELIT has found and tested that the fuel pump relay is faulty/faulting. Great! That explains the problem perfectly. Lack of supply to pump, fuel starvation, no engine!

Now the only problem I have is where is the fuel pump relay? Can anyone give any logical clues (yes I know it will be somewhere between the front and the rear bumper etc etc).

Any useful advice on locating the relay would be appreciated.

Thanks

BX has it on the innerguard drivers side in a plastic bag with another relay.
When did you last change the fuel filter? Supposedly an 80K change from memory but few ever seem to get done. Might explain the fuel starvation.

Alan S

Alan S said:
BX has it on the innerguard drivers side in a plastic bag with another relay.
When did you last change the fuel filter? Supposedly an 80K change from memory but few ever seem to get done. Might explain the fuel starvation.

Alan S

Yeah I was thinking this morning that that may be where the relay is - near the underbonnet fuses and battery.

Filter was changed <40k km ago. Pretty sure it is not the filter as the ELIT is definitely reporting a problem with the fuel pump relay. I will go hunting tonight - it may just be a bad earth, but would that be possible on an XM:confused: :rolleyes:

UFO said:
Yeah I was thinking this morning that that may be where the relay is - near the underbonnet fuses and battery.

Filter was changed <40k km ago. Pretty sure it is not the filter as the ELIT is definitely reporting a problem with the fuel pump relay. I will go hunting tonight - it may just be a bad earth, but would that be possible on an XM:confused: :rolleyes:

On the BX the relay I'm talking about is on the opposite side to the battery and fuse box. It is also wrapped up in a plastic bag indicating that they had some kind of issue with it being there.

Alan S

Hi Craig,

From the electrical diagram in my haynes BOL the Fuel Pump has one connection to ground and the other to the Fuel injectors.

However from the section on Fuel injection systems, "The relay is mounted at the front right hand corner of the engine compartment inside the ECU casing."

I know this is for the 2.0L engines but might be a clue.....

regards
sean

Last edited:
Sounds almost like "big blue" the tachometric fuel relay as used in later CX's (I seriously doubt it though).

Good luck finding that, it looks very similar to a normal relay from the outside (only it's blue). In my CX it's under the front right headlight, but they tended to move it's location around.

seeya,
Shane L.

I found it this afternoon. I knew the ELIT could run some tests that activate ignition related circuits in order and that the first is the fuel pump. While it ran these test I listed for relay clicking and the relay is mounted on a secondary box on the front of the box containing the engine computer in the FRHS of the engine bay.

Took the relay (large mongrel) out, cleaned connections on the plug etc but I am not too hopeful of a resolution. I will bravely ring a couple of spots tomorrow and ask the price :eek:

Craig,

If the relay is unsuccessful in rectifying your defect give me a call. I have had this in the past, after a hosing under the bonnet, but managed to rectify the problem. However I hope the relay does the trick for you.

Garth.

Craig,

Ring around for the part? Surely a relay is a relay? $20 from Auto One. Even Citroen can't use non-standard electricity.

Well, apart from that special sort that doesn't need an earth -- perhaps you're low on that. :banana: :adrink:

Chris