Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour this weekend 3-5 Feb 2023

Lol, haven’t watched free to air telly in years, forgot to even think about that, actually, I don’t even have an arial hooked up to the telly. :s

Lol, haven’t watched free to air telly in years, forgot to even think about that, actually, I don’t even have an arial hooked up to the telly. :s
Mine is a historic set up, dating back 20 years when we moved here, (y):cheers:

We don't have any subscription services, pay to watch etc, spend all my spare money on race cars! Watching on FTA channel 7

Bath Gt.jpg

That Merc AMG really is the MX5 for rich kids it seems.

Little Porsche up there!

Heard they're serving a new cocktail in the trendier bars in Bathurst - the 'Audi Wallbanger' (1.5 shots of vodka, 1 shot Jagermeister, top up with orange juice and lashings of angostura bitters) :cheers:

And it turns out those cheating Skylines are at it again!

There was a 2m08 in the combined sedan class, but it was disqualified for being too quick (soft limit of 2m09). Namely ~320km/h down conrod in a floor pan Nissan R32 GTST (RWD). CAMS didn't like that.

Dear God.

Heres a vid from Challenge Bathurst last year, said car going up the Hill.

260km/h before the crest... Moses.

I watched that race - it just jumped away from the second placed Mustang, which was also very quick.
But I have never heard of disqualification for being too fast, must read the rulebook, interesting if the car met the technical rules.

Yes it's causing a little fuss online.

Either it should have never passed scruitineering because it was unsafe, (cams fault) or their rules didnt factor in modern techniques and designs (cams fault) or..... um.. hmmm... ??

There IS something to be said for the safety structures say between GT3 cars that travel at those speeds vs a Sedan floor plan.. but yeah should have probably been picked up in the design regs?

It's just great that an R32 is causing all this mischief, 30yrs later...

Now Bowie, naughty words :D . As a former scrutineer, my favourite rule was the one that says the owner/entrant is fully responsible that the vehicle meets the rules, not the scrutineers. So a post race scrutiny finding a problem previously not picked up, is valid.
But what is odd here (to me) is that the speed seems to be the problem, and you say there is a "soft" limit of 2min09. Interesting if there were several quick cars, how would they race? Call it a reliability run? Are they virtually Sports Sedans running in the "combined event?

Anyway, having now watched the full 12 hour, it was a good race, and if someone doesn't have time to watch it all, start watching with 90 mins to run. The various possible final pit stop strategies, with different fuel loads to go in, and some with new tyres, trying to get track position for the final run, makes for an exciting last 90 mins. Plus a curved ball thrown in for the leading car. And safety cars did not play a part in it at all, the race ended with a 4.5 hour green flag run.

Do you know, in WA, the main newspaper "The West Australian" has not mentioned the race except a paragraph the day before with Valentino Rossi as the subject. A well attended (53000 3day attendance) International event at Australia's most iconic track, hasn't rated a mention. And they are a part of Seven West Media, with Warburton at the helm - I just don't understand. Maybe they have a misguided form of censorship policy, because organised motorsport must cause more accidents on the roads? Or just ignorant editing by football centric editors.

Yes they copped a 1 grid spot penalty for being quicker then 2m09, and their time was erased from natsoft.

I haven’t looked for the regs that explain that, assume it’s in the sup regs for the event?

Yes it's causing a little fuss online.

Either it should have never passed scruitineering because it was unsafe, (cams fault) or their rules didnt factor in modern techniques and designs (cams fault) or..... um.. hmmm... ??

There IS something to be said for the safety structures say between GT3 cars that travel at those speeds vs a Sedan floor plan.. but yeah should have probably been picked up in the design regs?

It's just great that an R32 is causing all this mischief, 30yrs later...
Bowie, having worked at SMSP you should know better. The fundamental principal with Scruitineering is that it is a process to check the car complies with the rules and regulations, it is not a declaration that the vehicle is safe. This has been the defence when scruitineers have been charged with manslaughter following motorsport fatality. You should be very aware of this basic principal.

As to the rules and regulations for "Combined sedans" is seems to be a promoters creation to come up with an entertaining package of selected race cars chosen from various categories and classes. It is not unusual for a promoter to specify a minimum lap time as part of the specifications to make sure the racing is close and someone doesn't run off into the distance.

The MA permit (previously known as CAMS) and vehicle compliance regulations would have been based on the promoters assurances regards the level of performance and speed of the cars invited to compete. Not surprising that MA is unhappy.

True! Ah yes it did sound like I was blaming the volunteers for being negligent. (Sorry volunteers)

And you are right, that’s all it is then. Combined event with rules, not a conspiracy against Motorsport.

The scrutineers comments in my log book always had NAFF written. No Apparent Faults Found.

Their duty was to check for excessive oil leaks, no loose components in the engine bay (battery), checked the extinguisher was within the correct date range and same for harness.
Everything else was my responsibility.