Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour this weekend 3-5 Feb 2023

Fordman

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
12 hour International GT race commences 5.45am AEDT Sunday. (Can I get up for 2.45am? - nah - looks like Kayo for me). But I do like to see the early morning running.
Large fields of Combined Sedans and Formula Fords also covered on the Saturday.

Schedule:

TV & Streaming:

The season proper begins for circuit racing!

Last edited:
Valentino Rossi will be "having a crack" at Bathurst in the 12 hour, driving a BMW factory backed car.
Should be interesting, at least his interviews are usually good fun.
He reckons he should be OK, he's been practising on Playstation. :oops:
Good luck Valentino, have fun.

Valentino Rossi will be "having a crack" at Bathurst in the 12 hour, driving a BMW factory backed car.
Should be interesting, at least his interviews are usually good fun.
He reckons he should be OK, he's been practising on Playstation. :oops:
Good luck Valentino, have fun.
I wonder how big the fan club will be? Still remember the sea of yellow in the crowd at the MotoGP's

I wonder how big the fan club will be? Still remember the sea of yellow in the crowd at the MotoGP's

I hadn't thought of that. Potential for a significant extra crowd just to see Rossi. I'll keep an eye out if they mention it on the broadcast.

Reactions: COL
I wonder why there are no Porsche beating Alpine A110s racing..... ?????

Ray

I wonder why there are no Porsche beating Alpine A110s racing...

I don't think they have existed since the 1970's Ray.

Matt Campbell did a very good qual lap, very accurate and on the limit, but not quite fast enough. Porsche race pace will probably be very good.

GB.jpg

Last edited:
A couple of hours into the race and we have the usual Bathurst dramas. Rossi is in 3rd place at present will see where he ends up at the end of the day.

Not going to watch the race all day but will have a look during lunch and closer the end.

Just started watching from the start on Kayo replay, now 6.00am in Perth. I'll not check this thread in case of spoilers, so feel free to throw in your comments any time.
The discussion on Rossi was correct, it is a very large crowd there, and the fact there was a 1.5 hour queue for Rossi signing autographs, no doubt he has attracted a good portion of them.
OK, lights off safety car, time to start watching.

Porsche race pace is good as predicted, their pit stops are 8 seconds faster than the opposition. Apparently due to slighter faster fuel fill time.

I have a question from someone who doesn't follow motor sport closely. The Liqui-Moly cars don't seem as fast or as nimble as our Aussie V8 Supercars at Mount Panorama. How do the two different race categories compare in terms of lap times and outright speed on the mountain?
Asking for a friend.

Wiki has a nice result list detailing the best lap in different categories.

Seems the 'SuperCars' has a record of 2m04s

You can follow the event on Natsoft, which is the live timing system, Website is striaght out of 1998, follow circuit racing then look in the list,

http://racing.natsoft.com.au,

The fasted lap is car #65 currently with a 2m02.

So, faster and more nimble. ;)

The fastest lap for a V8 Supercar during the race is around 2min 6 sec. The GT cars lap in a faster race pace around 2 min 1 sec.

The taxi cabs are faster on conrod at 297 kph on the rev limiter into the chase. The GT cars are slower on the straight at 285 kph however, they do not brake until about 120 metres from the corner whereas the taxis have to brake about 100 metres sooner.

The GT cars are much faster across the top of the mountain from the cutting to forests elbow onto conrod.

The GT cars are lighter, better balanced and more nimble than the taxis

Porsche race pace is good as predicted, their pit stops are 8 seconds faster than the opposition. Apparently due to slighter faster fuel fill time.

8 seconds advantage with every pit stop... wow. ok so lets see.

Lets assume the 1/2 a pound of fuel, per HP per Hour. (200g)

Now what would their engines be putting out.. ~600hp? lets average an hour at Bathurst down to 400hp assuming all the time on brakes?

ok so 400hp would need ~80kg of fuel every hour.. Hmmm so what, would they be carrying 100L of fuel? Perhaps a pit stop required every ~80mins.

12h is 720min. Only 9 pit stops? Surely more then that.

Hmmm still that's over minute, 1/2 a lap advantage before they start racing.

Cool!

For those without PayTV, this chap is streaming it online ;)

Oh and who else wishes GT3 would become the "premier" category here..

OH DID YOU SEE THAT!

to clean the window, they just pulled of the dirty laminate! they have a couple of clear sheets over the screen and just dispose of them when they get dirty! hahah Brilliant!

*Runs out side with the glad wrap from the kitchen*

For those without PayTV, this chap is streaming it online ;)
and those with free to air can see it on Channel 7 ;) :evil:, at least in Brisbane they can.

Reactions: COL