Lfiespan of an 8v engine (205)

Ashley T

Fellow Frogger
As many S1 & S2 engines are approaching 200k km mark - what sort of life span are members were getting from their engines, before any major requirement to overhaul e.g. does buying a car with in excess of 175,000 kms suggest you would be up for a rebuild soon, even though all normal wear signs indicate ok?

cheers - have attached a quote from Neil (hope it works or mallet

As for the life of the engine I believe if they have been looked after they are good for allot of Km's what number I'm not sure. Mine had had a hard life and the pistons were a mess.

Just a quick point to remind people that I will be selling the rebuilt s1 8 valve engine on completion of the conversion.

Ashley the life of an 8valve engine would be a good topic to start and ask people what Km,s their engines are up to.

Neil

Ashley, mi mate who owns a S1, rebuilt his 8V engine, simply coz he wanted more go.. it had 180+ K's on it.
It felt quick before the rebuild, bet now just hammers and even though its quicker, it uses LESS fuel, its considerably smoother and starts and stay's started, dosn't stall so easily like it used to. that whole rebuild cost him $6000 for a reputable garage to do it, and included P/P of the head, mild cam, exhaust, headers and intake. plus a dyno tune, good for 160 Bhp, and reliability.
cheers Xq

When looking for my 205 i drove many with all sorts of milage......and really in the end, it was how they were looked after that had more bearing on their condition than just the km figure....i drove some that were smokey at 130,000 and some that ran/drove perfectly at 240,000....they can vary greatly if they have been thrashed their whole lives

The 205 wreck I recently purchased from Kiama has 330 000 on the clock. It was still going strong. It only stopped because of sun gear explosion.

My old BX 16 Trs had 250,000 on it when sold & was running strong & not oil burning.
A mate of mine inSydney just bought a 1.9 litre BX auto & took it to Tom Dolan along time Cit mechanic immediately after he bought it for a complete check over & a "do whatever needs doing" kind of service.
Tom described the car as "only having about 185,000 klms on the clock" so it was barely run in. When Chris asked whether as a precaution he should have the motor gone over (as he does a big weekly mileage) Tom's response was that usually these motors go top side of 400,000 klms before any REAL money needs spending. eek! eek!
Hope that gives you some idea from those working on them.

Alan S cheers!

Well I think I'm the right person to ask about this. I bought my 205gti S1 at 240,000kms. It has done its fair share of kilometres but still goes ok.

When I first got it it was using a lot of oil, partly leaks partly burning. But now I'm putting in a thicker all W40 i think and an oil conditioner which helps to prevent oil leaks and burning. Now, at 255,000k's, after a service I will use 5 litres oil in about 3500kms. It was much worse without the oil conditioner. My car blows quite a bit of smoke on a cold start up and if I leave the car sitting on idle for a long time it will blow smoke for a little while (1 minute) after i start moving. Normally while driving it doesn't blow smoke except when I move off after a red light. Oh yeah and when I rev it really hard. I'm going to recondition my engine probably in the next three months and it is going to cost me about $2500.
I think that covers everything. The only other thing is that the car was not maintained very much by peugeot mechanics although I take it to a family friend now who is a pug mechanic.

My 205 SI's motor seems to be in perfect condition at 200000Km A mate's BX 19GT has done over 300000 km and is still going well.
The 1.9s had a lot of trouble when new, something to do with pistons but the lifespan of these motors seems otherwise to be very good.

Graham Wallis

mine is 135k, i have done nothing to it, but like I said, oil in the water!! still works fine, and no water in the oil thankfully. Do you think it has any life left in it? I hope it runs forever and ever and ever!! the new paint job is alrite, looks really good at night, but a bit dodgy up close!!^^ the dude who did it was a friend who works with commies and Frauds!! so I cant fault him. I might post some pics on the site here if you dont mind?!^_^

Mine has done 160,000 and still feels strong. I do regular oil changes (and part changes - things always break with the latest being lambda sensor and top radiator hose/oil cooler pipe $$$). Uses about one litre of oil per 5000 kms.

ta gents ... i've put an offer on an S3 with 196,000 kms (hope i get it).

engine still pulls very well in comparison to much lower km cars. i suspect with the no. of k's it will use a bit of oil but hopefully no more that a couple of litres per 5000kms. There is a very small oil leak but can't locate.

The oil leak is probably from the rear main. Mine had one from there as well.

Hi Ashley,

All the best with the purchase. My old 205 GTi Pug had an oil leak from around the distributor area and Paul Vassalo from Damon Becks fixed it pretty cheap by grinding and repairing an ajoining component, unsure what it was...but meant to be common with 205s... I think anything over say 1 litre oil consumption per 1000km is starting to get abit too much (manual says about 0.5L per 1000km), though prob. not a problem if u are constant with oil checks. Was told Penrite 30 (25-60W) or 40 (25-70W) is good for low oil consumption...but dont know if it hampers performance much, any comments?.. dance

I would say that a big-ish engine in a smaller car tends to dispel the idea that small cars arent good for high kms. i suppose the question is the same as "how long is a piece of string". like all cars, treat them well, they treat you well. but its the kind of car where forking out a few grand for a reco is not money down the drain.

chandler