Lexia problems

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
These are the most miserably aggravating things you will ever try to use. I can't get the local PC to recognize the lexia clone here all of a sudden, which means the vmware image also doesn't recognise it. Has anyone struck this before?

seeya,
Shane L.

CTRL ALT DELETE seems to be a magic solution, ensure you turn off the wifi as well. Unplug USB and plug back in so its detected after Lexia is running, sometime you need to wait a minute

Remember dont accidently check for updates on Lexia.

Worst case re-install the VM image

CTRL ALT DELETE seems to be a magic solution, ensure you turn off the wifi as well. Unplug USB and plug back in so its detected after Lexia is running, sometime you need to wait a minute

Remember dont accidently check for updates on Lexia.

Worst case re-install the VM image

In this case, its the host system that is spitting up the "USB device error" .... If its in error, I don't think it even tries to play it in the VM.... very frustrating :(

It's likely the host (i assume windows pc) has tried to install drivers for the lexia and failed.
Try the following
unplug lexia, shutdown vmware and reboot pc
start the vmware diagbox image and wait for it to boot up
plug the lexia into the furthest usb port you can find from where you had it (there are multiple usb controllers on a motherboard, each usually runs two usb ports)
If you don't get menu asking what do you want to do with the usb device you just plugged in, click on Player (top left of vmware screen), then Removable devices and hopefully it says PSA USB device
select Connect (disconnect from host)

I'll give it a crack. The problem is its trying to read the device first on the host, even when the USB is controlled by the VMware. I'm thinking I might need to try a VMware on a different pc .... Possibly I could uninstall the USB devices on the windoze pc and try again ....

I'll give it a crack. The problem is its trying to read the device first on the host, even when the USB is controlled by the VMware. I'm thinking I might need to try a VMware on a different pc .... Possibly I could uninstall the USB devices on the windoze pc and try again ....
Correct, it is likely that currently two usb ports have the failed driver install, plugging lexia into a different usb port on a different usb controller will trigger the host to classify it as an unknown device and allow vmware to see it as 'PSA device'

Should it still fail run 'Device Manager' and look for a device with a yellow triangle exclamation mark and force it to uninstall.

This must be the most aggraviting piece of junk in the universe. How many hours do I have to waste going in circles .... AAAARRRRhhhhhhhh.... So it flatly refused to do anything other than "USB device not recognise" .... I can delete it from devices, restart, try as many different usb ports as I want.... nothing!

So I try the linux pc. Install vmware ... the stuff around for bloody AGES .... I can't find the USB device to play .... nothing, not a cracker. no matter what USB port I try... ARRrrrhhh....

So in desperation I try the work computer.... stuff around for ages trying to get vmware installed, copy the image over ... find there is already a vmware installed (different brand) .. be buggered if I can figure out how to get it to import the vmware version of an image (I'd say there is a limited version installed on my machine). I cannot install vmware without un-installing the installed one .... sigh.

Then I plug it back into the original computer in desperation ..... and for some reason it doesn't say "usb device not recognised".... ?? So I start up the VMware and it finds it and opens.... I run straight to the car and plug it in .... mess around for a while getting VERY aggravated with the damn thing... it wants an RPO number?? ... buggered if I can find the RPO number. Start googling where is the RPO number on a C2 .... nothing .... I find a comment on a forum somewhere saying its not actually used, just enter anything ( seriously) ... by now the damn thing isn't connected and cant find the lexia again. So I unplug, plug back in "usb device not recognised" :mallet::mallet::mallet:

will getting out a sledge hammer and pulverising it help at all ?? I'm thinking I have a dodgy usb dongle that is intermittant.

Ok, I think I have a dry solder joint on the plug where the USB attaches. So no I have successfully joined all of the pins together to be "one" with the soldering iron. Surely no human could be soldering this stuff. I need a better magnifying glass and light so I can see if the pins are joined or not....

a1.jpg
a2.jpg

if this was the problem.... it still does the identical thing when I plug it in. it has to be either a wiring or dry joint, or it wouldn't have temporarily burst to life for a short tiem.

Last edited:
I'd be VERY wary of plugging the usb cable into any PC, if the shorted out pins as shown under the little magnifying glass are what you ended up with then you will have a created a short circuit between the +5v and ground supply when you plug it into a PC.

I reckon they are all shorted ..... maybe ... or none of them .... maybe ... its to hard to tell without a decent magnifying setup :).... it actually shows on the camera way better than you can see it in real life :)

Its my own fault, I generally add a touch of solder to aid in re-soldering the joint (it adds the flux from the solder). It appears I can't do that on these microscopic sized joints! I just needed a vice to hold the electronics in and a proper magnifying lamp, and it may have been possible ... maybe :clown: I was trying to solder underneath that plastic thing shown. and it has a focal length of about 5cm before it goes blury

When doing surface mount and very fine soldering I use a temperature controlled iron and dollop the area with liquid flux which causes the solder to stay only on the solder pads and wick up the components legs. The solder sucker you have is next to useless, you can use braided Soder-wick to remove the excess solder. The best ever solder sucker is made by goot.

Attachments

• ABC.jpg
    ABC.jpg
    662.1 KB · Views: 85
And the RPO is the date of manufacture, also known as DAM for pugs or ORGA for cits. After 2000 it's on the tyre placard, in the photo below the RPO is 09473 and you can use the following website that tells you it's October 16, 2002

1654336129579.png

When doing surface mount and very fine soldering I use a temperature controlled iron and dollop the area with liquid flux which causes the solder to stay only on the solder pads and wick up the components legs. The solder sucker you have is next to useless, you can use braided Soder-wick to remove the excess solder. The best ever solder sucker is made by goot.
I have solder braid here too. way to much heat soak it would need .... I'd need the exact stuff. I've never tried to solder anythinig like this before. I've soldered up circuit boards from scratch in the past, but never something so microscopic as this! It is a temperature contolled iron, its not going to have the grunt to heat the soldering wick I have here without turning it right up.

If I had known what I was doing, I would have used just solder flux as you suggest. I didn't know this though :) I'm thining its probably best to replace the entire unit, that way all the cables and usb dongle thing can be tested by subsitution.

has anyone tried this version and found it works?
Pic shows only 2 opto couplers fitted, I've read that from around 2005 you'd need a 'full chip' knock off with all the opto couplers fitted.

Well I grabbed the lexia above. I'm so glad I did. Its worth every cent not to have the endless frustration trying to get the @#%@#$@#$ thing to work. :moon::moon::moon::mallet::mallet::mallet: Nothing is more frustrating than going in circles wasting endless hours on a computer trying to get something working ..... that is intermittently not working for no reason.

anyway, I plugged it in... the computer said straight away "found PSA/whatever USB device" .... The previous one never labelled the device anything meaningful when it was connected. I'm thinking my original one was probably a bit dodgy from day one as they were probably quite buggy and problematic when they were first made.

Anyway, it connected instantly to the car and it work perfectly .... what a bloody ripper after all the frustration :dance: :dance:

er3.jpg

Oh ..... gee's I did nearly run it out of fuel yesterday. :clown:

er4.jpg

So we have a fault on all cylinders ... I've cleared the logs to see if the same errors come back. But that rules out the coil pack as it would be a fault on just a single (or pair) of cylinders.

given it only faults and plays up when its very cold outside, I'm wondering if the battery is just getting to low on voltage for it of a cold morning.... ?

seeya
Shane L.

Attachments

• er1.jpg
    er1.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 75
  • er2.jpg
    er2.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 70
It can still be the coil pack, I've had the all in one coil pack on a XU7/XU10 misfire on all cylinders when cold, check it for any cracks/carbon tracks.

1655522136899.png

I put new coils in it a few weeks back :) .... the oil is 10-30 from memory. I'm not sure how you can fix lifter pump up?? that could be why a restart will fix it.