Lets Talk Lower Control Arms

I would leave caster alone for a start especially if you keep driving the car on the road. Can make the steering very twitchy.

That's why I've never bought a Merc or a BMW. They just don't seem to be stable on the road.

it's always been my impression that Jo would have shredded the Fuego's tyres regardless of camber settings...
up to one degree of negative camber should have no detrimental effect on anything, in my experience.
increasing caster is very much a suck it and see thing, best done when everything else is sorted,
and in response to an actual need.

it's always been my impression that Jo would have shredded the Fuego's tyres regardless of camber settings...
up to one degree of negative camber should have no detrimental effect on anything, in my experience.
increasing caster is very much a suck it and see thing, best done when everything else is sorted,
and in response to an actual need.
I shredded them, but evenly.
Nothing would wind up the tight-ass in me more than shredding part of a tyre.:mad:
As per Peters comment, the castor angle was increased beyond spec in my fuego.
It's double wishbone design made it the only thing that was changeable without mods (apart from toe, obviously).
An experiment was conducted by means of putting R25 lower arms on, and apart from looking silly, the -3 degrees of camber was just so detrimental to acceleration that it became a stupid mod.
The big challenge of my fuego was braking traction and keeping the significantly increased power being transmitted, and it never had problems cornering in the first place so the -3 camber was ditched.
I did do a measurement of dynamic camber once and found on full compression the front suspension had about -1 degree camber (from vague memory).

Jo

thanks Jo. so what was actually happening during heavy braking and acceleration?
too much weight transfer? too much difference in spring rates front and rear?

thanks Jo. so what was actually happening during heavy braking and acceleration?
too much weight transfer? too much difference in spring rates front and rear?

I suppose if the byproduct of braking/acceleration is weight transfer, no…Not enough weight transfer.

Acceleration…Wheels (or wheel) simply spinning and not hooking in. Made worse by too large a throttle body and the fuegos small accelerator pedal moment range.
Lesson learned there..on a street car too small is better than too big.

Braking…Was a wet road problem because the fuego brakes didn't have enough bite to be problem in the dry.
The car simply lost traction too early and you'd have to work really really hard to stop her if a 'situation' occurred.

Jo