leaking fluid from underneath my 205gti.

pugjet

SMP addict
1000+ Posts
hi,

gotta prob.

for the last few days ive been adding as much as 500mls of water to the radiator/coolant reserve.

also in those last few days ive noticed a small pool of water (not oil or any other fluid) in the same one spot underneath the engine every time i get back to the car after its been sittin for a while - if youre facing the 205s bonnet the "pool of water" can be found to the centre left of the enginge bay.

but this morning... i checked the water level and for that "pool of water".... and yup, water level remained the same and i didnt need to top it up and obviously the "pool of water" was absent. has my problem gone away?

ive checked the hosing and that seems to be in order.

the engine temperature is normal whilst driving.

i'd be a slave for life if any of u could diagnose ma pwobwem.

could it be a cracked head gasket?

maybe a dead water pump?

what?

how does one know they have a problem with the head gasket or water pump or both? could any of this be related to my problem?

pardon me for the dumb questions. blush

thank you in advance cry

cheers! ,

me

I'd say it's unwise to jump straight to head gasket or water pump, could just be a split hose maybe ?

I have no real idea...but check the simple things first...heater hoses etc!

Cheers

Ben

Hi,

Could be a number of different things check to see if your water pump is weeping. there are a couple of connections these can rust away or if plastic break and water can then seep through. Other than that there is not much around that area. run the car for a while and check under to pin point the exact location,

Nick :D

It will be the water pump or the distribution block at the back of the engine. Both will leave water in the same place. Check the hoses on the distribtion block.

PeterT:
It will be the water pump or the distribution block at the back of the engine. Both will leave water in the same place. Check the hoses on the distribtion block.
Agree,
it will probably be the water pump. I had one replaced in my last 205. The mechanic whined about the replacements quality saying that often they can go again in a few months even the genuine ones.
Valeo are having them made in lithuania or some similar country and the quality is not the same as the earlier ones.
Mind you, my replacement never leaked afterwards...

good luck and don't ignore it!
ipb

thanks Ben, Nick, Peter, and ipb for your advice/answers.

ive checked the cars level again this morning - the pugs lost some water again, but not as much as other days.

the "pool of water" that normally accompanies the loss of fluid has probably dried up overnight. when i get the chance this weekend i'll try and pin point where this leak is exactly starting from. all of u have given me much to think about cry .

just in respect to... say errr, the water pump, do u recommend a brand? how hard is it to replace a water pump? is water pump failure do to normal wear and tear or is it something more sinister?

ok and if the leak is actually from the distribution block how does one rectify this leak?
is it just the hoses (if anything) that needs to be replaced? ok and if say it is a leak from the distribution block how is this caused?

my apologies for more dumb questions blush

thank you again cheers!

guys,

a few days back a mechanic mate of mine jacked the pug up. he couldnt see anything wrong with the underside of the car. he took a look at my radiator pressure cap and said that it was cracked.

this may be the reason for the loss of fluid he says.

hmmm... so later that day, i picked up a new cap (the same as two-oh-phillic's - its the new plastic cap rated to 1 bar from a dealer).

neways, ive run the car as per usual, no signs of any leaks, temperature is normal, and checked fluid level in the mornings and the evenings - everything seems back to normal.

im guessing fluid was lost via the cracked pressure cap and obviously made its way down to that spot i described.

anyone else have a different spin on things?

for the next few weeks, i'll keep an eye out for any signs of immenent trouble.

oh yeah, do yas reckn itd be a good idea to get my radiator flushed and refilled as i'd prolly have shitty coolant/water mix, specially after many days just topping up wif water?

and yup, thanx again :)

oh yeah, do yas reckn itd be a good idea to get my radiator flushed and refilled as i'd prolly have shitty coolant/water mix, specially after many days just topping up wif water?

and yup, thanx again :) [/QB][/QUOTE]

Yes. Use a fully made up product like tectaloy 90+ so that you add no water. If you are scared of Glycol then use water with a radiator treatment in it.