Koleos gearbox lockout

fregate

Tadpole
I have owned a 2012 Koleos for the past 10 years and it has been a very good vehicle. It has towed a Jayco camper around Australia twice without any problems. As it is now high mileage we have upgraded to a new one but since we have signed up for the new Koleos the old one has decided to play up. It is now starts as well as it always did but it will not allow the shifter to move into gear. I use the manual override switch and then everything operates as normal with no unusual behaviour by the engine or CVT. I am getting some lights appearing intermittently on the dashboard, however - the engine light and yesterday it was the ESC light for a while. The 'spanner' warning light appears under braking but then goes out. Anyone else had this problem with their Koleos?

I am getting some lights appearing intermittently on the dashboard, however - the engine light and yesterday it was the ESC light for a while. The 'spanner' warning light appears under braking but then goes out.
Fuse/relay box playing up?

now starts as well as it always did but it will not allow the shifter to move into gear. I use the manual override switch and then everything operates as normal with no unusual behaviour by the engine or CVT.

Could be faulty multi-function switch?
When you turn key on what gear is the dash showing ? Is it D when it should be P?

1705464625388.png

Thank you for your suggestion but the indicator on the dash is showing P when the lever is locked in P. I have also just noticed that the handbrake is not working as it should. It comes off automatically when the car is started in 'drive' but it will not come off manually when you depress the lever in the console. The lever does, however, apply the handbrake manually when you pull it up. I am beginning to think it could be a handbrake switch problem or am I just hopeful?

The battery was replaced on 16.04.2019 and seems to be starting the car well. Thank you for the reminder about the effects of possible voltage drops. I will put the meter on it tomorrow

I'm with Jo. Check cranking voltage. Anything under 12 volt would be suspect.. Nearly 5 years is a long while for a battery these days.

The service interval for battery replacement reduces with age of car.
I’m up to about 3 years on my 2015 model.

I know it sounds daft, but I’m losing track of the amount of random faults talked about here that appear to be a product of decaying batteries.

I don’t think simply measuring voltage is enough… you need to load it up and measure, a task that is beyond the tool set of most owners.

I’d be going to a professional auto electrician and asking to check the battery,not one of those shity franchises.

Yep I,m with battery voltage check first,then charge rate,(our 2013 koleos is on its third battery 12 mnths ago).next I would check fuses,especially for dirty connections for intermittent power feed.brake light operation would be my next check as the signal for lockout solenoid release is sent via stop light switch to control box behind glovebox (in clio rs200case maybe same on koleos) then to auto computer back to solenoid release iirc…happy searching ..jim

Again thank you for all your advice but the problem is solved and cheaply. It was as simple as a blown fuse for the stop light in the fuse box below and to the right of the steering wheel. I replaced the stop switch and still no brake lights so then I thought to look at the fuse, which is where I should have started looking. Apparently, for all you Koleos owners, if the brake lights are not working you get gear lockout and the manual handbrake release on the lever in the console will not operate. Check that you have a spare 10 amp fuse handy. I was really getting worried that some expensive electronics has failed. Now all I have to track down is a new windscreen wiper motor and linkage. It is making a serious noise and ,I suspect, about to fail. There are none at the wreckers so it seems to be a Koleos weakness.

Again thank you for all your advice but the problem is solved and cheaply. It was as simple as a blown fuse for the stop light in the fuse box below and to the right of the steering wheel. I replaced the stop switch and still no brake lights so then I thought to look at the fuse, which is where I should have started looking. Apparently, for all you Koleos owners, if the brake lights are not working you get gear lockout and the manual handbrake release on the lever in the console will not operate. Check that you have a spare 10 amp fuse handy. I was really getting worried that some expensive electronics has failed. Now all I have to track down is a new windscreen wiper motor and linkage. It is making a serious noise and ,I suspect, about to fail. There are none at the wreckers so it seems to be a Koleos weakness.
That's a good one to remember. Might be similar in Scenics too... Now why DID that fuse blow? Hopefully you'll never need to find out.

Another win in the preparation of our Koleos and for a RWC. This time it was in respect to windscreen wiper repair. Much has been written about them stripping the plastic gear at the top of the motor but I found nothing about fixing a significant noise from the motor itself. After changing the linkage there was no improvement and new motors are very expensive (I was quoted $830.00 by one supplier) and hard to come by. Taking the motor apart was relatively straightforward and the problem was the top bearing of the motor. It cost less than $8.00 for a new one and the noise has disappeared. Apparently the bearings are a common size.