Karts vs Bikes

camlv

Fellow Frogger
This is still in the early stages of planning but i thought i'd ask here to see if anyone has any perspectives.

I'm interested in getting into competitive motor racing and both karts and bikes seem to be attractive options. Im not sure if this is correct but it would cost about $4000 to get into go-karts and be competitive and about $8000 to get a competitive motorbike but i think the bike would be the more fun option, would it be worth the extra money and which would give me the most opportunities to race?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

camlv said:
This is still in the early stages of planning but i thought i'd ask here to see if anyone has any perspectives.

I'm interested in getting into competitive motor racing and both karts and bikes seem to be attractive options. Im not sure if this is correct but it would cost about $4000 to get into go-karts and be competitive and about $8000 to get a competitive motorbike but i think the bike would be the more fun option, would it be worth the extra money and which would give me the most opportunities to race?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Having done BOTH, I can tell you Karts are more fun than motorbike racing. The level that you will start at bikes is so amatuer that you might only race once every 2 months and the racing itself is well kinda poor as the rich boys tend to do wins with money as the classes aren't all that well regualted, also the runing costs are over twice as much as karting & there is less practice & racing time. Also bike racing is not as close as karts. True it looks close when, Biaggi, Checa, Capparosi, Gibernau & Rossi are close to one another. But that's at their level. In karts its not unusuall to have 3-6 karts all whitin 2-3 inches of each other fighting for the lead from start to finish, and that at amatuer club level!
I will say this though, bikes are faster but only on a straight line; cornering G's and speed in something like a superkart, ICC or Open tyred Rotax are F1/F3 comperable.... Also when you stack on a bike the repairs are ussually more and you end up worse off than you ussually would in karts. - Chris

ps. this seems weird coming from me, since I race karts on the track, yet choose bikes to get to work & back....... hmmm.

CHRI'S16 said:
Having done BOTH, I can tell you Karts are more fun than motorbike racing. The level that you will start at bikes is so amatuer that you might only race once every 2 months and the racing itself is well kinda poor as the rich boys tend to do wins with money as the classes aren't all that well regualted, also the runing costs are over twice as much as karting & there is less practice & racing time. Also bike racing is not as close as karts. True it looks close when, Biaggi, Checa, Capparosi, Gibernau & Rossi are close to one another. But that's at their level. In karts its not unusuall to have 3-6 karts all whitin 2-3 inches of each other fighting for the lead from start to finish, and that at amatuer club level!
I will say this though, bikes are faster but only on a straight line; cornering G's and speed in something like a superkart, ICC or Open tyred Rotax are F1/F3 comperable.... Also when you stack on a bike the repairs are ussually more and you end up worse off than you ussually would in karts. - Chris

ps. this seems weird coming from me, since I race karts on the track, yet choose bikes to get to work & back....... hmmm.

Thanks for your insight, I thought bikes would be more fun but if thats not the case i'd definitly go with karts.

tekkie said:
go and have a look at pocket bike racing. Very popular, and one of the cheapests ways of competing on track.
http://www.pocket-bike-racing.com.au/
Yeah they do this out at Butterfly farm, their slow and noisy but look a milling lafs! nothing looks funier than several fully grown men manhandling a mini bike around a track....lol. - Chris

Firstly.

Calmv. That avatar you have of the Pug symbol... Where do you get those :eek: NICE!!!!! I want one for my 180 :tongue:

As for the subject at hand, get into karts, I have raced non-competitivly on a number of occasions, the fun is uncomparable, much like a supe car, closest you will get to being the shoe maker.

Bikes, never been racing on a track but I have driven various ones. Their great fun but boring after a while, get a kart, fun never ends.

From memory CHRI'S16 posted an article on Karting a while ago stating how much it costs to establish and maintaining a competitive go-kart (it wasn't cheap)... I loved the thread so do a search and see if you can find it...

While you can get hurt in both, I'd think karts would be overall safer then bikes, but with just as many thrills.

- xTc -

rustymunga said:
Firstly.

Calmv. That avatar you have of the Pug symbol... Where do you get those :eek: NICE!!!!! I want one for my 180 :tongue:

haha thanks, I found it with a google image search. wouldnt have a clue what site it was from.

I'll definitly go with a kart now after all the feedback, I plan to go to a race at a local track as a spectator and check it out and talk to people about where to start.