JUST PONDERING16V>WAGON>UTE>extreme

ARCHRIVAL

Fellow Frogger
Any major stumbling blocks in transplanting 16v motor into BX 1990 wagon then cutting its bum of to create a unique Ute never know could get me aroot at the next B and S ball . as if I haven’t got enough to do:crazy:

Wouldn't the revvy 16valver be a sh!t of a thing in a load carrier. Possibly a turbo deisel might be the shot :)

seeya,
Shane L.

just thinking

Just looking at whats available as cheap scrap 16v motor and bits under 1K dogboys wagon under 1K BX ute under 4K just for the fun of it load carrying ~750 to 500kg maybe if I don't start restoring a DS:wink2:

We were looking at doing a 16V transplant into a wagon; bought the wagon, loved it, so doing a full resto at present instead. Would be a waste of a good car doing it just for that. Our idea was to stuff it in to use as a combined sleeper/sprint car based on a theory I had that we could get the power down better with the wagon by playing with the suspension.
16Vs by nature are a bit flexy but the wagon is fairly solid, however, start hacking the lid off and I reckon the doors will fly open going round corners.

Years ago they used to turn Holdens into convertables and they had to build a full chassis under them to stop the guts from dragging on the ground. If you're that desperate at the B & S might be a better option to buy one of the many Land Cruiser flat tops presently on the market, get down to the local Line Dancing store and grab the ten gallon lid, high heeled boots and jeans and learn the words to "Achey breaky" rather than stuff a couple of rare cars for no result. :roflmao: :banana: :banana:

Alan S:cheers:

What would it take to get that wagon back on its feet, just quietly. Is the auto fixable? Anyone know the history on this thing, what the body's like etc?

graham66 said:
What would it take to get that wagon back on its feet, just quietly. Is the auto fixable? Anyone know the history on this thing, what the body's like etc?

To my knowledge, it was all systems go until it succomed to the poison of Dex3 like so many others.
It is possible that it could be converted to a 5 speed manual or alternatively the auto rebuilt (I have a copy of the ZF service repair manual) at which stage I reckon it would be a clanger.
Give Andrew a PM and have a yarn to him. He was over the moon with it until the auto clapped out and it might be an interesting proposition to strip the box and see just what clags out in them as I'm guessing possibly some kind of friction plates that won't withstand the friction enhancers that Dex3 places on them.
Once the autos are operating with Dex2 in them, they are a very pleasant vehicle to drive and very unlike the horror stories we've heard about them in the past due to the different operating charcteristics once the Dex 3 is out and replaced with the Dex2.

Alan S

Thanks For The Tip Alan

Been doing the landcriuser F250 thing for a few years already but I thought that with a bit a fast french :nownow: I might be able to hook a better class of shiella . Have to have a rest now my chaps are starting to chafe a bit :joker:In all seriousness its amazing how much torsional rigidity you can put back into a car with a couple of metres of rhs steel at the sill line . I've chopped a few Jaguars valiants and the odd 2 door merc over the years and in WA you have to show the licensing guys a stress bench report indicating that the ridgidity of the car has not been compromised between before and after :blackeye:

You mean like this?

In the back of a Citroen workshop in the middle of France last year.

Attachments

• bx ute.JPG
    bx ute.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 221
There is currently a GS Panel Van being converted into a ute in Sydney...

I'll try and post some pics if I have a camera next time I visit the "project"...

As for the ZF4HP Auto ... I pulled my old one apart when it was replaced...

The two obvious things are (as Alan said) the friction plates wear no doubt (now) due to the use of Dexron III but that the materials ends up clogging all the oilways and valve bodies and that is the bigger problem.

Tom Dolan has recently rebuilt both a Xantia box and an XM box that both seem to be going well (at last look) I guess values of BX's are such that unless one is prepared to tackle the job themselves it's not worth doing.