Jacking a dead CX?

cresco750

Fellow Frogger
Hi all. This morning I was all geared up to replace the leaking electric fuel pump on my CX25 and much to my annoyance it won't start. I suspect the pump had died as it doesn't make any noise when the key is on, and it has been dripping fuel?

So, how to raise the vehicle enough so I can put stands under it so I can work under the vehicle? The trolley jacks that I have access to are at least an inch or so too high to slip under the jacking points.

Thanks.

if it has a towbar, start there, you will be able to lift the back up nice and high and put jackstands under the back of it.

I don't know if you can still buy one, but I inherited a couple of telescopic screw jacks that collapse to a few inches high. They are useful to start lifting jobs in cases like this. The screws are one inside the other, and a gear wheel rotates them.

Similar to this, but shorter, with three screws--
telescopic-screw-jack.jpg

And if it doesn’t have a tow bar, unbolt and remove the rear undertray and put the trolley jack under the tow hook to get a little lift, then work your way forward with other jacks. I have jacked a dead wreck from the front tow hook - whether the deformed outrigger was caused from this jacking or from other damage I don’t know, but I wouldn’t jack a CX from that point again unless it was a wreck.

Thanks gents, problem solved! A friend came to light with an extra-extra low trolley jack that just slipped under the jacking points.