It's always worse than it looks

If only

Great work Pete, what kind of welder are you using? TIG?

All the work was done with a MIG, I don't think my eyesight is good enough to use a TIG.
Sometimes when I am welding I do the most perfect looking weld.................right next to the join that I was welding. Wish I had young eyes again.
cheers Pete

continue the engine rebuild here or start a new thread??

cheers Pete

Put it in here so that it is easy to find and that we all know to which car it relates.
Cheers Gerry:cheers:

PS I found a set of plans for a Sheet Metal Bending Brake. Some people may be interested.
http://www.millerwelds.com/
Click Do it yourself tab-----welding projects------scroll to bending brake and click!!!!!!
Let me know if anyone makes one!!!!

Last edited:
Very nice work!

403s can rust all right! Mine came with $4200 worth of receipts for work done just to the sills! :eek: Then there's all the rust in the doors and boot and engine bay and.......... That I have to fix. :blackeye:

I wish I had the tools you do, I'm slowly building the collection, haven't even got a MIG yet though. :blackeye:

Thanks for sharing.

Hayden

Smokey motor

Back in the days before the crash of 2010 I had a thread about the refurbishment of my 1963 Peugeot 403B, this is a re-creation
I bought a 403 that had been a daily driver, but was taken off the road because of a smokey engine, and that's a story worthy of another thread. QUOTE]

After getting the body work finished I set about getting the car roadworthy. The car had been serviced and repaired by a prominent Melbourne service centre and had buckets of money spent on it in its 5 years as a daily driver, until it was taken off the road because it was blowing so much smoke. The previous owner told the mechanics about the smokey motor, so the motor was removed and repaired, which consisted of one s/hand piston, new rings, new big end bearings. After re-fitting the motor continued to blow smoke and after 1500 miles the owner gave up and took the car off the road. It sat in the street for 2 years, until I rescued it.

Going through the mechanicals to get it roadworthy, I was appalled at the standard of work that had been done. The brakes on the car had been reconditioned twice, so all should have been well.
I re-rubbered all the wheel cylinders and replaced the master cylinder, but found this in the back brakes
100_0370.jpg
A staple stuck in the handbrake, which had worn out the front shoe, this was done on both sides.:confused::confused:

The front wheel bearings were done up so tight that when the hub was turned you could feel the balls trying to rotate, they felt square!!. Steering rack boots were shot, tie rod ends needed repair and the king pins needed new thrust washers. The owner had complained about knocks in the front end. The front shockers were so stuffed I couldn't rebuild them, so they went in the bin and I rebuilt some replacements.
Next is was time to deal with the smokey motor