introducing myself...& driving through australia in a cit. dyane

dyanemaniac

Tadpole
hi,

i'm douwe, 26 yo, living in amsterdam holland. i drive a cit. 2cv6 special '85 and a cit. acadiane '82 daily. im busy/starting with restoration a '83 cit. dyane6 (my first car) and a '69 dyane6. (for pictures see: http://www.dyanemaniac.web-log.nl unfortunately in dutch)

me and my girlfriend are planning for a big trip with the '83 dyane through australia. i heard about the raid australia 2008 and i m planning to combine these two into something we will never forget.

in order to make the proper preperations i probably have some questions in the future. i hope you can help me out then. meanwhile, maybe i can be a help to any of you driving 2cv on this forum.

grtz, douwe

ps if you have information which can be usefull and you are willing to share it, please contact me.

Welcome to Aussiefrogs mate - plenty of support and friendship on this board so stick around.

What a fantastic adventure you will have in your Dyane - brilliant! Not many Dyanes out here but the few that do show up to events get a lot of attention.

Saw many a classic Citroen still in daily use in your fine city - loved it :cool:

Welcome Douwe

didnt have time to translate your website but I assume that you are not going to restore the BMW.

Decca

Welcome to Aussie frogs, if you come over for the raid you will really enjoy it. I went on the last one and it was fantastic.

You will have to prepare your car carefully to cope with the tough conditions. Don't be tempted to alter the suspension, it seems the standard suspension works very well.

Some things you will have to pay attention to include the rubber engine/gearbox mounts and air filtration. There is a lot of information available from the experts and on the Raid website.

From my observation, most cars on the last Raid had problems because they were overloaded and then drove too fast for the conditions.

I would strongly suggest you contact Micheal Moore who is from Holland and has been on a few Raids before, and had a well prepared car.

Welcome mate!... you will find plenty of interest here on AF. I must say I don't know how the 2cv will hold up in our heat as it can be mighty hot in the aussie sun... but reguardless I wish you best of luck, and applaude your great sense of adventure. - Chris

Hello Douwe
you'll have a great time on the raid. Dont worry about the heat. The little cars just going on. There will be plenty of information especially closer to the event. Make sure your chassis and body are in good condition. I recomend a light gauge guard under the engine and cross muffler and second one under the fuel tank. But wont worry to much some very standard cars have completed raids in good condition.

regards
Ian

hi,

thanks for the friendly welcome! its good to see that the australian 2cv drivers/owners are as friendly as in holland/europe.

i heard the organiser of the raid au08 is presently riding the touareg trail in north africa. a shame i didnt find out about the raid au08 earlier, cause else i could have met shayne harris on the departure.

to answer a view remarks some made:

to superfrogger:

im absolutly not worried that the 2cv wouldn't make it. the body will be completely restorated and a new (galvanized) chassis will be mounted. but because im busy restaurating the dyane, it can be handy to know certain (what, i don't know yet, but probably there will be some things) things in advance, so i can do these things while im busy. what worries me more is the time and money :wink2: but 2008 is some month salary away. and we really want to do this so were there is a will there is a way (translated dutch expression)

chriss16:

thats the fun of a 2cv: it has an aircooled engine! i won't say it can cope with all heat, but people have been driven it throuh the sahara before...

petermelb:

isn't michael moore an american documentry maker?:wink2: but i will look if i can find him.

decca:

no, im certainly not going to try to fix that bmw. i've got better things to do haha. its from a site with crashed so called exotics ( http://www.wreckedexotics.com ). i tried to translate my weblog with altavista's babelfish, but it didn't worked. maybe in the future, or try yourself with babelfish (translate from dutch to english)

graham 66:

citroen dyane is a great car and even in holland, it becomes more rare every day. there are about 400 dyanes in holland (which probably is an enormous amount compared with australia)

well, again thanks for the reactions! i will stay in touch with you guys. and if you need advice or maybe spare parts, let me know.

grtz douwe

Raid Australia 2008? Sounds good!

Where can I find out more? My Dyane will be due for a (slightly late) 25th birthday present...

Anyone got any idea of shipping costs UK-Oz-UK?

chaseracer said:
Raid Australia 2008? Sounds good!

Where can I find out more? My Dyane will be due for a (slightly late) 25th birthday present...

Anyone got any idea of shipping costs UK-Oz-UK?

Try this:

http://www.raidaustralia.com/

I'm sure you have lots of people in 2CVGB who know lots of things about RAID Aus.

If this is any help, there was an English guy who called in to see me for a few pointers to local attractions/hazards and who spent a few days around here. We looked after his excess gear to lighten his load when he tackled Fraser Island.
To the best of my knowledge he's still out here and I'm expecting him back through within the next couple of weeks because if he gets caught up where he is if a seasonal "wet" sets in, he could be the new "Tarzan of the North."

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24135&highlight=2CV+Journey

He has contact info there if you want to find out a bit more as I have no doubt he's a little older and a lot wiser now about what's involved in that kind of trip.:wink2:

Alan S:cheers:

Hi Chaseracer
Been there, done that, loved it and would do it again in a minute and probably will!!
Get in touch if you need any advice about shipping etc. My main suggestion is bring the best car you can find over and sell it there. 2cvs are appreciated in OZ much more than they are here, approx. 3, 4 times as much!!
We arrived for the last raid in WA as it was the best for registration and MOT, and really enjoyed a few weeks there before the raid and appreciated the help we were given by a lot of enthusiasts both on and off the forum.
Go for it
Helmut

Goeie morgge jochie.Better write the rest in plain english otherwise not fair on anyone else reading this.Great idea and hope it all becomes a reality for you and your wife in 2008.I believe quite a few dutchies have participated in previous aussie raids.I was going to refer you to a couple of websites but others beat me to it.Alan S's link to Rupert Potts' website is a good one.He is not far of finishing his big adventure,leaving Melbourne this morning on the last leg to Sydney.He will be the most recent human to have completed a trip right around Australia in a 4WD 2CV.Couple of other very knowledgeable people I can suggest are Peter Fosselius in Perth (info@2cvaustralia.com) and David Gries in Melbourne (cheersbastards@coooeee.com.au) (not sure if I've got David's email address right).Anyway,good luck with all the planning and preparations and "tot ziens in Australie".:adrink: