Interesting Break In technique

Pug307

Sense
Fellow Frogger
What are your views on this article on breaking in the engine?

<a href="http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm" target="_blank">http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm</a>

Granted, it's for motorbikes, but I'd take it the fundamentals are similar.

Cheers,

Justin

<small>[ 21 May 2002, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Pug307 ]</small>

I agree. Run it hard for short bursts, so the rings push out and bed in against the walls. The rings have to bite into the wall. Driving around in top gear at low revs like Grandma will only glaze the walls. Also agree with the type of oil. Pistons rubbing against walls need oil, rings against walls don't. Synthetic oil is too good at keeping metals apart. I read somewhere that a $60000 Perkins 5L race engine takes 30 mins. to run in on the dyno.

What an interesting article.

Must admit, I would have treated any re-built engine very gently :confused: No I'm not sure?? What this guy says really, really makes sense. Maybe this is why rental cars, and 'company' cars always seem to go harder than peoples own cars???

seeya,
Shane L.

Never had the luxury of breaking in a new car, always bought second hand :rolleyes:

Paints a different picture now, when quizing the owner of your potential purchase, "OK did you give the car a good thrashing from new", "No, oh well shame, I'll keeping looking" :confused: :p :confused:

Cheers
Chris

I gave my Berlingo a thrashing when I first got it new but that was only to get the bloody thing moving with all the weight onboard.
Gotta say, it couldn't have done too much damage.
Now at 42,000k's & runs beautifully & uses no oil.

Hi Guy's,
This is by no means a new theory, i used the same method for running in model aircraft engines in the mid sixties and then whenever i rebuilt my R1130 R8 motor & then only needed because of burst water hoses which i had 4 of in 3 yrs