info on 1980 diesel 504

82' 505 and Crusin'

Fellow Frogger
I have just bought an 1980 diesel 504, with the diesel engine taken out and a fuel injected 504 engine back in.

Iam after any info on the diesel models (differences) and the 504 injected engines (power rating?).

Does the diesel have an LSD?
cause it seems like it does

82' 505 and Crusin':

Does the diesel have an LSD?
cause it seems like it does
No they don't have an LSD (unless someone has put one in).

The Diesels have a 3.7:1 diff ratio
The TI has a 3.78:1 diff ratio
The carby 504 has a 3.89:1 diff ratio

Dave

And the 504 diesel must be one of the slowest cars I have ever seen :p - there are 2CVs out there that would leave it in the dust! it could never have justified an LSD - at least not of the mechanical variety! evil

Paul

Paul Smith:
And the 504 diesel must be one of the slowest cars I have ever seen :p - there are 2CVs out there that would leave it in the dust! it could never have justified an LSD - at least not of the mechanical variety! evil

Paul
I know, I learnt to drive in my parent's 504 diesel. After owning petrol 504s for the past decade, I could never go back to a diesel 504. Maybe if they had 8 gears or a CVT, but with the 4 speed they always felt like the gear you're in is too high or too low. The torque rpm band is very narrow. The turbo diesel automatic 505 is supposed to be alot better. The torque curve is alot flatter and the torque converter allows enough slip that it can stay on the top of the torque curve.

Still, with the manual petrol 504, you always know that when you come to a really steep hill, now matter how steep it is, so long as you keep it above 5000rpm, the car will hold it's speed or accelerate. Reminds me of when I went up Mt Victoria in my 1.6 litre 404. It held 76km/h all the way up, but only because I sat at 5800rpm in 2nd all the way. I think the guy in the Datsun 1600 which I passed around one of the bends, was surprised (as much by the noise as the passing manouver).

Dave