Independent Mechanic: Puretech Timing Belt

JohnnyO

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi Froggers,

Just wanted to see if there was any independent mechanics in Victoria who are doing the Puretech Timing belt replacements? I've got a 2015 208 that is due for replacement.

Happy to travel and am currently living in Sunbury.

Cheers,

John

The service interval on these is now belt only at 6 years / 90K. Belt with tensioner at 12 years / 180K.
Did this go through the JZR recall and receive a new belt or has it ever had an engine replaced? If so, you'd restart the count and delay.
There could be variation in the cost, depending on the condition of the belt. It's smart to drop the lower sump and clean the oil pickup if the belt looks to have been shedding, so that quote could factor extra in for that.
You might read through Whippet's thread from early December. You don't have his concern, but there is some discussion of what you are asking about.
https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/many-fault-code-for-2008-my-2018-1-2lt.147967/

Last edited:
The service interval on these is now belt only at 6 years / 90K. Belt with tensioner at 12 years / 180K.
Did this go through the JZR recall and receive a new belt or has it ever had an engine replaced? If so, you'd restart the count and delay.
There could be variation in the cost, depending on the condition of the belt. It's smart to drop the lower sump and clean the oil pickup if the belt looks to have been shedding, so that quote could factor extra in for that.
You might read through Whippet's thread from early December. You don't have his concern, but there is some discussion of what you are asking about.
https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/many-fault-code-for-2008-my-2018-1-2lt.147967/
Thanks @David S, that thread was very helpful. I don't have the delamination ad far as I can see through the oil cap. I've confirmed it didn't have a belt replaced, it was an inspect and said to be okay at the time and engine hasn't been replaced. I'm due for it to be changed on those kms/years and want to make sure that the quote is considered reasonable. Cheers John

Thanks @dmccurtayne I've had the dealer quote $2100, does this sound right? Happy to pay it if that's the rate but I've never paid that much for a timing belt with other marques in the past.

Cheers John
I suggest you talk to Darebin Tyre & Service 9499 7522 and ask them if they do this work, and if so to quote.
I've used them for years with my French cars - which they know well. They are closed for Christmas/New Year - back on the 9th I think (but booked up already...).

The other option - that many speak of very well as competent and well trusted mechanic (who knows French cars) - is Evan Martin at Evan'c Classic Car Garage 0407 852 409.

Ian.

Hi All,

To close the thread out and to help someone else in future, I got the timing belt replaced at The Garage in Woodend, Victoria (Northern Victoria) who did a nice job and can highly recommend them (do all European marques). Managed to do the job for $850 all up with genuine parts.

Wouldn't hesitate to go back there with my other cars and they were super transparent with costs and timings.

Cheers,

John

Reactions: IWS