IMMACULATE R16 spotted

peujohn

pur-john, not pew-john!
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I've spotted another lovely Renault: an absolutely perfect 16 with super glossy aqua duco. I think I may have see pics of this car at some gathering.

Owned by a Frogger?

I think the car you spotted is now owned by a young lady in Leongattha, I arranged the purchase of the car from a chap in Glen Waverley about a year ago and I seem to remember his name was John. It is green and really is an 8 out of 10 car.
I felt it was well priced at 3.5K as it was probably the best everyday 16 I have seen in a long time.

Does anyone know how the R16 register is going?

They are precious and rare.

JohnW

There's a bloke down the road from me who has an early 16 and a near new Honda Prelude. He says the Renault is the best car he has ever driven, and he prefers it to the Honda. He'd be an idiot not to :D
My father had a 16TS when I was 2 years old. It is the first car I remember. He had to sell it when someone sugared the petrol a couple of days before we were moving clear across NSW. He swapped it for a tired R10, which made the jouney with every ring broken. It expired 5 km from our new home.

He says the Renault is the best car he has ever driven, and he prefers it to the Honda.
Maybe that's because the guy tuning the Honda used a bag of sand hooked up to a running engine to port and polish the head.

Ren cheers!

R16's are also the best cars I've driven since I got my license 18 years ago.

Sure, like any car they've got some faults, but those faults are far overshadowed by the car's strengths and versatility. The ride is glorious, the steering tactile and precise, and perfectly weighted at anything above parking speed. The TS engine is lovely: quiet, willing accross a very wide rev range, seemingly unburstable, long lasting, compact and easy to work on. The collumn gearshift is a fingertip revelation: better than most floor shifts in my opinion. Seats are like armchairs, with cushion dynamics perfectly matched to the suspension and tires. The car's load carrying capacity, with the rear seats removed, is massive, and even when packed to the rafters, the suspension has gobs of travel remaining and handling at speed seems unafected. Probably one of the best long distance touring cars of the 20th century. I now own a very good example of the legendary 504, yet I would still much prefer a good R16. But sadly, as mentioned before, good examples are now very rare. If R16's were still made today, it would be at the top of my shopping list if I was in the market for a new car.

You're a discriminating and civilised man.

I would add power steering to a new one though.

JohnW

David Cavanagh:
Yes the 16 register is still going, John Elliott runs it through the RCCV, I can put you in touch if you wish.

David.
David,

I'd appreciate contact information, thanks. I must have had it but certainly have lost it!

I only had mine out last weekend. Lovely.

Thanks

JohnW

frogs4ever:
R16's are also the best cars I've driven since I got my license 18 years ago.

Sure, like any car they've got some faults, but those faults are far overshadowed by the car's strengths and versatility. The ride is glorious, the steering tactile and precise, and perfectly weighted at anything above parking speed. The TS engine is lovely: quiet, willing accross a very wide rev range, seemingly unburstable, long lasting, compact and easy to work on. The collumn gearshift is a fingertip revelation: better than most floor shifts in my opinion. Seats are like armchairs, with cushion dynamics perfectly matched to the suspension and tires. The car's load carrying capacity, with the rear seats removed, is massive, and even when packed to the rafters, the suspension has gobs of travel remaining and handling at speed seems unafected. Probably one of the best long distance touring cars of the 20th century. I now own a very good example of the legendary 504, yet I would still much prefer a good R16. But sadly, as mentioned before, good examples are now very rare. If R16's were still made today, it would be at the top of my shopping list if I was in the market for a new car.
I've been looking for a decent one for years - I suppose, possibly weirdly, almost a dream car for me. Imagine a nice TX...! By the way, John, I've seen another aqua one going round Perth in beautiful condition.

Stuey

Stuey:
I suppose, possibly weirdly, almost a dream car for me. Imagine a nice TX...!

Stuey
Nothing weird about such desires. A brand new (rust free, rattle free) R16 TX or TS would be divine.

There was an article on a immaculate TX in Thoroughbred and Classic Cars magazine a while back. I think it belonged to the Renault museum or something. The car looked just gorgeous, the writer very complimentary about the car.

Are there many TXs in Aus? I think I've seen a picture of one at some gathering.

John

John, I've got that mag. It refuelled my desire for one! What a great example - perfect spec. I've never seen a TX here.

Stuey

That mag. was one of few examples of British journalists beginning to understand......... Even if they couldn't manage that wonderful gearchange.

Their greatest compliment was completely unknown to them however. They reckoned the 16 was a great car for something from the 1970s! What would they have said if they had known it was a car of the 1960s?????

Re 16TXs, there are a few around. There are two in Perth somewhere, one somewhat restored I believe and one that was to be restored when I spoke to its owner about 5 years back. I've seen neither of them. There used to be a stunning one in Adelaide, which I could have bought but couldn't afford. Alas. All are private imports of course, most likely from South Africa you'd expect.

Sounds like I could find a custodian if I wanted to dispose of mine..... Of course you don't own a 16TS, you look after it for the next custodian.

JohnW

John, you drive a TS? Is it in good nick?

The 16 is a car I have never driven but would really like to. I met a couple of middle-aged ladies in central SA once, who were touring around in a 16TL, including negotiating some 4wd tracks.

John

peujohn:

The 16 is a car I have never driven but would really like to. I met a couple of middle-aged ladies in central SA once, who were touring around in a 16TL, including negotiating some 4wd tracks.

John

peujohn:

John
John,

I'll try that again! My 16TS is pretty close to immaculate and original - a 1976 16TS Special. 210,000 km and all original (untouched) mechanicals. Unusual to find one like this - owned by a friend of mine and his father over a few years, and they did all the maintenance for the previous owner - so I guess we've about 15 years of the car's history. There's a photo in the members gallery.

Last year she was retired and is now on concessional registration, with the aim of being preserved pretty much as is. I take her out every few weeks and do 40-50 km to keep everything moving and lubricated. Should last forever - may see me out!!

John

I currently have an R16TX in Melbourne. It's a brown metallic colour and has all the 16TX features. (5speed, electric sunroof, chrome spoiler, 4 Cibie headlights, luxury seats etc) It is currently being restored, (some rust removal, new doors etc) and will be resprayed in original colour. What can I say - it's a beautiful car, looks great and is my current pride and joy! I can't wait to get it back on the road. It was originally from SA and brought to Melbourne about 8 years ago by it's previous owner. I have had it for about a year. If anyone can help me locate some rust free door frames (Rear) I would appraciate it. I have new back door skins so I just need the frames. The left front has been repaired and I am looking for a complete Right hand front one. Any help appreciated.