How to make a brand new plastic French steering wheel.

Thanks for the pics DC. They show the process broken down into logical steps and yes, simple tools is all that's required. The important trick is the careful use of a router to make the rim without slip-ups because as we know it's not easy to repair timber and make it invisible.

Here's how I did my pattern rim with a router from a flat sheet of MDF, it's simple of you think about it. Notice the centre point where the router was attached and swung around similar to how you'd use a compass.

efga.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 226164

View attachment 226163

View attachment 226162

View attachment 226161

I don't think he used exotic tools to make htis (he's pictured with an ozito sander in one of them). I can't read the comments etc as its in french!
I bought a wooden banjo wheel off EBay a number of years ago (about 6?). It was 17" in diameter and was off an old Pommy car. The ad said he had just re-wooded it. Anyhoo it was $30, $43 with postage, so I figured.🤷‍♂️
When it showed up the re-wooding was a really good job, the wheel had a deep bakelite hub with a large bakelite horn button. I machined the hub off flush at the back and drilled and tapped the wheel to suit a standard sports steering wheel boss.
I've been racking my brain on what vehicle did I put it on (there's a bit of a turnover in the Greenpeace yard)?🤔
IIRC it left the yard attached to an '81 patina style F100.
The silly bugger that re-wooded it would have been working for $1 an hour.🤷‍♂️

The important trick is the careful use of a router to make the rim without slip-ups because as we know it's not easy to repair timber and make it invisible.

Notice the centre point where the router was attached and swung around similar to how you'd use a compass.

View attachment 226165
Good ol trick with the router. Removal of the plate on routers and a new one extended using a length of mdf/ply to the required circ. Router bits with copy bearing and jigs as templates is also good ol trick.
A large industrial spindle moulder with copy bearing on 150mm custom half circle blades cutting end grain are one of the most scariest jobs I've ever done. Lifted by two people onto the bed and slowly take snips at it. The blades did come loose at one stage. That was for large wooden seats for Sydney
Trouble with some woods, is it can just splinter out at any given time (as I noticed on that chaps wheel). Fresh sharp bits a must.

That is just incredible..... staggering. Have you ever done a wooden steering wheel? Someone just posted making one on the Traction facebook group. If you'd llike to see how they did it I can post there photos here (links don't work unless your a member of the group).

View attachment 226126
I did one that looked more or less like this one when I started.
This was the finished result. I used lots of small pieces glued together into a ring shape & then glued the rings together to build up the thickness. This method has the timber grain going around the wheel. Apart from that, the process I used was basically the same.
steering wheel sm.jpginitial layout sm.jpgglueing layer sm.jpg

This was the finished result. I used lots of small pieces glued together into a ring shape & then glued the rings together to build up the thickness. This method has the timber grain going around the wheel. Apart from that, the process I used was basically the same.
View attachment 226170View attachment 226171View attachment 226172
If anyone else were going to attempt a timber steering wheel this is the best way to do it i.e. segmented. More work yes but a nicer looking outcome and will stand up to seasonal temperature and humidity changes better than one made from a single board. (y) Nicely done ibartie

View attachment 226170View attachment 226171View attachment 226172
Do you have more pictures of the process? That is amazing! I thought casting your own wheel would be almost impossible, but look at this thread. It looks like fancy wooden wheels can also be made DIY :eek:

Are we going to get a wooden "sports" steering wheel now for special events rather that is interchanged iwth the plastic one for normal use :ROFLMAO:
Oh and by the way. If I wanted a flashy sports steering wheel I reckon I know a guy who could make one in polished sand cast aluminium, polished brass, stainless steel or similar. :approve:

A cardboard one would be so easy

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 74
Even easier Vice Grips

Attachments

• vice.jpg
    vice.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Haha
Reactions: IWS
Do you have more pictures of the process? That is amazing! I thought casting your own wheel would be almost impossible, but look at this thread. It looks like fancy wooden wheels can also be made DIY :eek:
Have a look back at posts 11, 12 & 13 in this thread. More pics of how I made my steering wheel rim.