How fast is a 12G?

Azure

Fellow Frogger
Just out of interest ... how would a 12G hold up against todays sporty cars like a 206GTI, Golf GTI and the like?

Any ideas of ballpark figures on what 0-100 time a 12G 125hp and 160hp can do?

Another thing :) do you reckon one can get the kerb weight down to about 850kg? Ooo ... one more ... what about current new allow wheels (same specs as the originals) ... would that give a weight saving ...

dance

Sylvain

Vive la difference!

How about those very lucky few with such a 12 record a sound byte of the 12G going through its paces ... mmmm tongue

Right ... is this the way to do it?

A Golf GTI has 110kW, weighs 1324kg ... thats 0.083kW/kg. It can do 0-100 in about 8.5 sec

Now ... a 12G has about 85kW, weighs 980kg ... thats 0.087kW/kg. So .... is it safe to say it's capable of doing mid to low 8 secs?

hmmm

No, your calcs are a bit out. 125bhp works out to ~93kW; 160bhp works out to ~120kW. Also, a big factor in 0-100 runs is whether or not second gear will run to 100km/h, so direct comparisons on power to weight are not always accurate. Maybe if Dave Cavanagh sees this thread he can give us some figures...

Stuey

I think Dave mentioned some time ago that his G does about 9 secs 0-100km/h. Not bad for a 30 year old car! Hope my new R17 will do that in the future!!!!

Cheers

Stuey:
No, your calcs are a bit out. 125bhp works out to ~93kW; 160bhp works out to ~120kW. Also, a big factor in 0-100 runs is whether or not second gear will run to 100km/h, so direct comparisons on power to weight are not always accurate. Maybe if Dave Cavanagh sees this thread he can give us some figures...

Stuey
I think I used the DIN value which is about 113hp ... 125hp is the SAE?? I don't know the difference bw the two though ... in my text books somewhere ...

Dave's is the 160 version isn't it?

renault_

onwing a 17 g and having freinds with 12 g mockups
if we could get thos times i would be very happy....
you have forgotten the front wheel drive factor.... 5 seconds of wheel spin then go :)
these cars where not built for such wanky things!!!! they are made to go quick around twisty roads at speed!!! quater miles are for people who cant steer!!! if you do this in a g you peel teeth off gear boxes :)
regards paul.

depeche mode:
you have forgotten the front wheel drive factor.... 5 seconds of wheel spin then go :)
these cars where not built for such wanky things!!!! they are made to go quick around twisty roads at speed!!! quater miles are for people who cant steer!!! if you do this in a g you peel teeth off gear boxes :)
regards paul.
Agreed ... Having never been in a 12g I'm trying to make a mental image of what its like to drive one of these things based on current more easily available experiences ... and 0-100 is widely quoted in todays cars hence why I used that.

Back to the Golf GTI comparison ... as the 12g has a greater power to weight ratio, would that mean the 12g's are more responsive when accelerating.

The more I think about ... the more nuts it seems to have 160hp in a 12!! ... to think I have fun throwing my little 12 around :)

depeche mode:
regards paul.
hmm, I have some really old video tape of a gold coloured R17G (non original engine & gearbox) dropping a huge standing start burnout over a speed hump in Silver St, Eltham, Victoria sometime back in the early 1990's... wink

My fairly modded, and certainly another 100Kg heavier 15TS did a flat 16 sec quarter on standard road tyres on 6" rims, and yes wheelspin was a problem. Back then in '81 an XD 351 4 speed only ran 15.8 from the factory.

Hi all, I'm flat out getting my new house up and running so I havn't had time to log on but just talk 12G's and I'll hear ya.
I've very roughly timed mine with a stop watch at an even 8 seconds to 100 and I've had it to 210KPH on the speedo.

I have a road test of my car when it was new and in full rally trim (bull bars, sunp gaurds etc) and they say that because the engine was new and still tight they were ordered to restricked it to 6,000 rpm and they came up with a figure of
0-100 in 9 seconds. Remembering that the car redlines at 7,200 rpm and it's now much lighter (and it's run in) makes my 0-100 time of 8 seconds possible.

David.

Azure
I think I used the DIN value which is about 113hp ... 125hp is the SAE?? I don't know the difference bw the two though ... in my text books somewhere ...[/QB]
Yep, sorry, I think you're right. I've got an old UK road test (no performance figures) that quotes 115bhp.

BTW Paul, Azure didn't forget the FWD factor as the Golf is also FWD, although admittedly wouldn't get the wheelspin of the 160hp version!

Stuey

Ahh Dave's back online.
I used to own the 12G that is being restored at French Connection by a new owner. I agree with Dave the 8 second mark was a viable figure. However mine used to be a bastard to get off the line in the wet. With 160bhp, front wheel drive and crap fuel that required you to be doing a minimum of 3000rpm it was lots of fun.
Once going it used to put most things on the road to shame, especially if it involved a bend or two in the road. I am yet to drive anything that was as much raw fun. And the look on the face of the hero Holden/Ford owners as you blew them away in a beaten up Renault was priceless. (Now I'm the hero Holden driver cry ).