how do i set 2007 , 307 2.0 hdi rhr 136 crank gear ?

turbo1600

Tadpole
replacing timing belt , got a complete kit , already done pump , and idler pulley , i also bought timing alignment kit but it doesnt seem to have the tool to set the crank gear , how can i do this without the tool ?

So you pulled the belt of without marking it ?
If you pull the starter out you can pin the flywheel with a drill bit.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

So you pulled the belt of without marking it ?
If you pull the starter out you can pin the flywheel with a drill bit.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

everything is pinned, one pin in camshaft one pin in flywheel.
when i removed the old belt i noticed the crank gear moves. i looked in my peugeot timing alignment kit , rsz_1crank_gear.jpg and the alignment tool ( circled) isnt there. is there something else i can do to set gear ?

That slight movement in the crank doesn’t effect the timing it’s to allow correct tensioning the tool is to hold the belt on the crank

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

You can just jam some paper or a eraser between the lip on the block and the belt while you do the top I used the back of a screwdriver the other day

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

David, does the crank move less than one tooth's distance on the pulley or something? I don't get it and am about to do the same job on my GTi which I think is the later RFN version which has the same arrangement.

Ahh, I had a look round think I know the answer turbo but I'm sure David will correct me if I'm wrong. The crank pulley can move but the flywheel is to be locked (in your case with that toothed thingy) as well as with the cam pulleys using a pin. This maintains timing.

The outer crankshaft pulley (the one that drives the aux belt) locks the inner toothed crankshaft pulley which drives the cam belt so it maintains timing, I presume through friction, so the torque setting for the central bolt is critical to avoid slip. Don't take my word for it though until confirmed or otherwise. It sounds risky but I guess avoids the issue with say the Mi16 setup which could alter the timing according to how you moved the two tensioners.

Then, the device for holding the belt on the crank pulley (the horseshoe bit of bent steel or something jammed in) just makes sure it all sits right while you get the belt round the other pulleys, tensioned, and then get the outer crank pulley on to secure the valve timing. I think...

Last edited:
This set up is different to say say some 307 rfn motors that have no key way at all but the Idea is the same and yes eliminates the possibility of belt tension being wrong my go to way of doing cam belts probably done 500 of the things at least ,is to set crank to timing point then before undoing the crank pulley I mark that to the block then cam covers off and again mark the belt to the pulley to the head then lower covers off mark the belt to the gear to the block and only then pull the belt off then swap the marks to the new belt and back on and lined up doing this way stops any chance of anything moving without me knowing over the years the amount of guys that bend valves thinking they lined it up drives me crazy

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Quite a few engines have a crankshaft timing pinion that turns either way several degrees or can spin entirely and they rely on the damper nut being tight enough to hold it in position. That's why you have to be mindful of losing the cam timing if you change a crankshaft damper. Early RHZ 2.0HDi up to about 2001 weren't like this as there is a keyway and you can simply remove the damper, with timing adjustment at the camshaft.

On cars like the Citroen Traction, the taper for the front hubs to driveshaft joint was meant to be assembled dry so that the two surfaces held together properly by molecular interaction. People made the mistake of lubricating that surface and were then relying on the tiny woodruff key to move the car. The loads aren't the same, but I expect the same concept applies here to the crankshaft timing pinion.

Same with some howdy Audi’s

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Thanks David, I'm about to do the job on my RFN in the late GTi 138 so I believe it's got the floating pulley setup - now I'm confident.

I didn't learn my lesson from having no room for this in my old Mi16, so thought I'd get even less room to do it in.

Does your crank have a four bolt or a gold or silver one bolt crank pulley

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

i can not remember the color of the bolt, but it has a ONE BOLT crank pulley. surely there must be some way of centralizing the pulley without the proper tool

i can not remember the color of the bolt, but it has a ONE BOLT crank pulley. surely there must be some way of centralizing the pulley without the proper tool

No that was for stuey, again you don’t need to centralise the pulley you locked the crank before you took the belt off yeah

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Some like the diesels have a “loose” key way and can move say 1.5 teeth but some like some rfns have no keyway at all and can move 360’ I think yours will have a 4 bolt crank pulley (the best one) chuck is your vin and I can check

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE